Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney

1235»

Comments

• Options
    A bizarre saga, that will surely end Rooney's managerial career in this country
    If someone had appointed him straight after Derby it would have made a bit of sense - he did OK there in difficult circumstances (though I think it's overstated how well he did and how noble he was staying at a financially struggling club on his massive wages).

But given he failed in the MLS since then and most importantly that Birmingham were going well - mad.
    Even his Derby period looks less impressive now, as it seems that Liam Rosenior his coach was a key part of that success, seeing how well he's done at Hull.
    And they barely stayed up the first season after going on a terrible run.
  • Options
    Let’s hope he makes a triumphant return to Old Trafford and works his magic there!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    goes to prove that more often than not, a terrific career as a player means that there is a just slim chance of great success as a manager
    Rooney was a great footballer, but an instinctive one. He had great vision, great ball control and a keen eye for goal, but I'm not sure how much he really 'knew' about those skills. I'm not convinced that having such a high level of innate ability often translates into becoming a good manager. I think those players who have less of a natural gift, but who have to really think about their game and work at it are probably more likely to make better managers.  
    Yep. He’s thick as mince
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Let's hope he's already had calls from a club in crisis in Croydon...
    Definitely.  With Rooney's track record a perfect fit for the Stripey Nigels.
  • Options
    edited January 3
    Stig said:
    goes to prove that more often than not, a terrific career as a player means that there is a just slim chance of great success as a manager
    Rooney was a great footballer, but an instinctive one. He had great vision, great ball control and a keen eye for goal, but I'm not sure how much he really 'knew' about those skills. I'm not convinced that having such a high level of innate ability often translates into becoming a good manager. I think those players who have less of a natural gift, but who have to really think about their game and work at it are probably more likely to make better managers.  
    I remember in Agassi's autobiography he says he chose Brad Gilbert as a coach as he thought he was bang average (for a Pro!) but squeezed every last drop out of the talent he had.  

Brad Gilbert basically agreed and thought if he could manage to get a few titles and a few second weeks of Grand Slams himself, he could do a lot more with someone of Agassi's talent.

Same applies a lot in football - there are exceptions like Cruyff, I guess, but not many.