Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Coventry 2016 post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    As has been stated earlier it would be a great idea if hundreds of North Korea flags were at the next match as this seems to really wind up Liar. Also just an idea but what with what went on after the game when Liar's thugs manhandled one of our supporters by the throat outside the West Stand. Why not put thier faces on a few balloons and label them "Liar's Thugs"- we know who you are!
  • Options
    Delighted that we finally secured our first win in 7.

Doesn't sound like we were great but I won't complain about a 3-0 win. IMO we have beat 2 teams at home who will be relegated this season. Interested to see how we get on this Tuesday and see whether we can get some form together.

• Options
    A flattering result, never mind the scoreline. If you weren't there, you'll have gathered by now that we could have easily conceded at 0-0 and 1-0, though to be fair we always looked threatening.

Slade must have told Crofts to sit back and Fox to tuck in, but the net result was that Cov could pass the ball in the middle third at will. Difficult to see this working against a team that can hit the target...
  • Options
    3blokes said:

First time I have seen us this season
    I didn't think we looked too bad, like Magennis a lot and really pleased he got a goal.
    That said, we don't look a top six side to me, and had Coventry's shot gone in and not hit the post, the outcome could have been quite different because nobody had the upper hand, I felt until we went 2 up.
    For me, it had the makings of a team you could really get behind and support, but the Valley, under such toxic ownership, is such a travesty of what it should be, the football feels a bit secondary to everything else that is going on.
    Which sort of sums up everything that is wrong with this football club.

Football has been secondary since the Watford 5-0.
  • Options

cazo said:

Fox is shit.cant run pass tackle jump mark or head a ball all you need to a footballer

Totally agree. What some posters on here are suggesting is that lookman was leaving him exposed and it's not his fault. The trouble is though that it doesn't matter who plays in front of him on the left he still makes the same mistakes. He just cannot read the game and is constantly cought out

He has the odd good 'spell' though.
  • Options
    Coventry hit the post, but so did we in the first 5 minutes.

A deserved win against poor opponents. Unimpressed with bringing on Jacko for Novak when we were only 1-0 up, poor Magennis was left to forage on his own. That he created the winning second goal was down to his incredible effort and terrible Coventry defending rather than our system.

With Lookman and Holmes as the wide midfielders, both of whom like to wander, it can leave our full backs rather exposed. Fox has positional issues, but partially because he is having to mark the opposition winger and full back.
  • Options
    Not sure of the Josh Novak combination up front, going back a few years, it would be like playing Yann up front with Paul Hayes, with BWP on the bench?
  • Options
    I see the claim is of 11,400 yesterday. Firstly, pictures again suggest that's inflated. And secondly, even if it was right, if you exclude those boycotters who came yesterday, that would have meant a crowd of between 8000-9000, which is dismal. Target20K need to up their game.
  • Options
    masicat said:

cazo said:

Fox is shit.cant run pass tackle jump mark or head a ball all you need to a footballer

Totally agree. What some posters on here are suggesting is that lookman was leaving him exposed and it's not his fault. The trouble is though that it doesn't matter who plays in front of him on the left he still makes the same mistakes. He just cannot read the game and is constantly cought out

Agree but the odd good spell isn't enough he must be more consistent
  • Options
    It was a scrappy match.I thought Fox got sucked into the centre of defence too much,which gave their winger plenty of space to exploit and put crosses in,which luckily they didn't have the wit to put in the net.Maginnis was a real pest to their defence all afternoon and did well.Lookman started well but faded,he seemed to lose some confidence as the game progressed.Rudd is a good goalie.Im going to get pelters on here,but as a relatively new supporter I cant understand the hatred towards the owners this season,last season they were clueless,but this season they've got an experienced English manager and brought good standard( for league 1) players,the ticket prices are reasonable, especially for London.If we get rid of the Belgium then what's to say the next owner won't be worse.Ive probably not got a clue,so educate me please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Both Solly and Fox tuck in and give the wide men loads of space to get their crosses in. I'm sure they are under orders from the coach to do this.
    I always think of the Forest game when Antonio was running riot so we got closer to him in 2nd half by getting both Gomez and Bulot to nullify the threat.
    (I agree they were a class up on what we have now)

In League 1 you have some strikers who are much better in the air than the Ground (think Dons 2 big subs) So wouldn't it be better to try to stop the cross in the first place and be closer than 20 yards away ?
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

It was a scrappy match.I thought Fox got sucked into the centre of defence too much,which gave their winger plenty of space to exploit and put crosses in,which luckily they didn't have the wit to put in the net.Maginnis was a real pest to their defence all afternoon and did well.Lookman started well but faded,he seemed to lose some confidence as the game progressed.Rudd is a good goalie.Im going to get pelters on here,but as a relatively new supporter I cant understand the hatred towards the owners this season,last season they were clueless,but this season they've got an experienced English manager and brought good standard( for league 1) players,the ticket prices are reasonable, especially for London.If we get rid of the Belgium then what's to say the next owner won't be worse.Ive probably not got a clue,so educate me please.

How long have you got?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    satsuma27 said:

I hate to break it to you, but they are still clueless.

The experienced English manager was one scrapped from the bottom of a barrel. The good standard of players have gotten us to the dizzy heights of 15 place in League 1.

I honestly think you would struggle to get worse owner that the current one.

• Options

masicat said:

cazo said:

Agree but the odd good spell isn't enough he must be more consistent
    I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

Is this her? Surely it is.
  • Options
    @ateamofcorygibbs, your experience very similar to my own. The only noise some of those lower west cretins made was to tell me to sit down during WWRO. I moved three times but it barely improved.
    Some of these donkeys would sit silent as CAFC plummet through the leagues before disappearing, leaving them to wonder where their football club went. I gave a bit back, but they are so blinkered in the comfort of their double digit IQs it's not worth the bother. Upper north only henceforth.
  • Options
    @ateamofcorygibbs,

Good post. I was in West Lower with my grand-daughter and brother. Was told to sit down during the second half WWRO chant which was started by the Coventry fans. A not so friendly discussion ensued.

Very few fans joined in the Roland Out etc. chants around us and I got the impression that they were irritated by the protests. Whilst I respect their right to hold a view different view to mine, I don't understand how anyone can be happy with the current state of the club and not blame the owner.

I hope they enjoy a return the normal funereal atmosphere over the next few months. I won't be back till after Christmas and will steer clear from the Lower West librarians.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Good report here from a Coventry fan I follow on Twitter here https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/charlton-athletic-3-0-coventry-city/

Think there's a lot of mutual respect between our fans after today.

What an honest, heartbreaking & excellent report. 10/10.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Posting without reading:

Rarely have I felt so unmoved by a win let alone a 3-0 win. That bl**dy regime dominated the day for understandable reasons and overshadowed any pleasure I would normally take from three welcome points.

It may well be nothing but could the lack of a tunnel jump suggest that either Katrien put the block on it as a 'punishment' for protesting or the players are themselves expressing their support for the regime by not acknowledging the fans in what has become the traditional way in the moment of victory?

Anyway the first half was a largely forgettable affair footballwise, if more memorable protestwise, and the move Ricky Holmes' goal was our only real attack of note other than a header from the excellent Magennis and another smart move involving Holmes and Solly which Big Josh just wasn't quite able to get on the end of.which may have struck the post. Other than that any attacking was all Coventry and we were very lucky not to go 1 down when their dangerous little number 8 hit the post with Rudd beaten. Somehow we held out and Ricky's goal mentioned earlier meant we went in 1-0 up at the break.

Second half Coventry came out and took the game to us and Declan Rudd made two smart saves in quick succession to preserve our lead. I'm convinced that had Coventry equalised at that point we would have lost that match.

Cometh the hour cometh the man and Big Josh Magennis grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and by his sheer tenacity and persistence chased a lost cause, won the ball and delivered a low right wing cross to the far post where Lookman was standing waiting for the tap in. 2-0. A few minutes later Josh similarly barged his way through and pasr two or three defenders before pulling another low right wing cross to Lookman whom contrived to put his excellent chance over the bar!

After this Coventry began to threaten once more, particularly their number 10 with the bun, Jones. But Josh wasn't finished and fought his way through and past the Coventry defence yet again before lobbing the keeper for a well deserved goal of his own to settle our nerves.

Three points are welcome of course but the margin of victory frankly flattered us and as things stand fifth from bottom will be good. Today Rudd, Holmes and Magennis stood up to be counted but will they or other players manage it every week.

I do feel churlish writing in such terms after a 3-0 victory but in all honesty it's how I feel.

This.
  • Options

Good win, albeit against a very, very poor coventry side. Holmes was great, as were Magennis and Rudd. Slade still baffles, and I still find the suggestion that we will get anywhere near the playoffs hilarious. As others have said though, the football is only of secondary importance on days like yesterday. Huge congratulations to all involved in organising the protests, and massive respect for the Coventry fans who joined in - really impresssive, and great to have a reason to remember some of the things that still make supporting a football club brilliant.

On a less positive note, I have to say I'm really disappointed with some of our fans. Although I don't really get it, fair enough if you don't want to protest, but the stick - and actual abuse - from supposedly fellow fans, for doing nothing but singing protest songs amazed me. Did a facetious post about it last night, but it was honestly mad. I went along by myself and sat in the West. Wasn't drunk or swearing or anything, didn't say a word to any other fans or stewards, just standing up and joining in with the WWRO chants when they came around (not even anyone behind me so couldn't be blocking anyone's view). Got an incredible number of mad comments from West Stand anti-protestors. My favourite was probably during the pig session at the beginning, with several thousand of us standing up and singing WWRO, the bloke a few rows in front of me who turned around and shouted directly at me, 'You're on your own, mate!' I wanted to ask him who he thought threw all the pigs on the pitch. Not long after that, a bloke who looked in his 70s yelled some incoherant threat at me, which ended in 'you fucking prick.' During the second half, I decided to change seats, as the people sitting around me seemed to flinch whenever I clapped a pass or whatever. Another pensioner gave me a proper Roger Johnson, advising me politely not to come back. Moved to sit nearer some other protestors, only to receive more pelters from some nutcase shouting abuse while sitting next to his two young sons. Charming. To cap it off, during a rendition of 'Charlton Til I Die' at 2-0 up, a bloke genuinely came over and asked if we could be quiet as we were 'distracting the players'. Breathtaking. It's mad that often the same people who argue that the protests create a nasty atmosphere and ruin the pleasant day out at the football, think it's fine to hurl personal abuse at people for doing nothing other than singing.

Also contributing to an ever-more unpleasant atmosphere at the valley were the ridiculously heavy-handed security and police outside the west stand at full time, seemingly grabbing a teenage kid by the throat and holding him against the wall for nothing more than carrying a flag. I honestly can't wait til we have our club back.

I was also on my own in the West stand and waited until the game was kicking off before leaving the concourse and heading up the steps. I threw my pig on the pitch then had a good look around and found a seat near some other pig-throwers in B block. As a result, I had a trouble free game.
    I suspect you were in D or E? I sat there once last season - never again. It was the afternoon of the living dead.
  • Options
    http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/the-pigs.69290/page-3

Some great perspective on here from Coventry.
    In particular the lack of organisation and funding for thier protests. CARD take a bow.

Highlight was a Coventry poster unbeknowningly tweeted...

"Pitch is being peppered with Pigs" lol !
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    A strange game, in as much as we could have won 5-0 or lost 0-2.

We weren't exactly lucky, but definitely had more fortune than some other games of late.

Their shot hitting the post for instance.

The game was won by a wonderful turn & shot by Holmes (good chip forward by Ulvestad).

Magennis's powerful persistence & skill to set up the 2nd & score the 3rd (lovely pass from Ulvestad).

However, it was a similar story to every game, where we are "carrying" 4 players.

Every game we "carry" Fox, Crofts plus two of Foley, Novak, Ajose, Jackson.

Saturday, eight "carried" Fox, Crofts & Novak.

Why oh why don't we give Chicksen a game at LB ? He may be better, he may not, but give him a game ?

Although poor Novak was a little better than some games of late.
  • Options
    £400k for Kermorgant and similar for Dale Stephens , SOLD to that team
    £1.75m bid for Fox , NO DEAL

Wow just wow
  • Options
    edited October 2016

£400k for Kermorgant and similar for Dale Stephens , SOLD to that team
    £1.75m bid for Fox , NO DEAL

Wow just wow

I can't get my head round it either mate at £750k I'd have snatched their hands off for Fox never mind £1.75m.

Then there was Morro given away, some of the useless big money signings based on a computer geek's assessment now paid off whilst others sent out on loan. The crazy deals awarded to Rojo and Tex, all just mind blowing.

As the song goes 'she ain't got a clue'.
  • Options
    Holmes and Lookman very good, Magennis & Rudd excellent. Sorry to say Crofts is abysmal, he was lucky that Coventry apart from about 15 minutes were not very good. Fox got murdered by their number 8 who was a very good player. Good to win but let's be honest if we couldn't beat them at home we really would be in the....okay we are in the shit. Tougher games to come interested to see if this kicks us on a bit.