Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More Censorship?

13»

Comments

• Options
    It just makes me think that the club are not going to shoulder the fall out on this one

That donut in charge of Eka has imo just lined himself up to be the official fall guy and the clubs announcement that will no doubt come out is that they have never and will never influence support Groups set up internally

So mr eka you'll be hung out like a Tony no cahones testicle
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    "Think" and "Guess" are 2 words that make up my point.
    As a Forum Owner myself, I have had occasions where I have needed to make the tough decisions, but a short explanation always helps.

I scoured these forums looking for something along the lines of....

"Due to a recent communication from CAFC/Other, we have found it necessary to remove certain threads from these forum pages, to protect.... etc etc."
    "We have been asked to remind you of your responsibilities when posting.. blah blah blah. "

or

" Due to the recent event of a Member feeling the need to resign from a Local Supporters Branch, the Owner and Moderators of these forum pages have removed..... etc etc."
    The T&C banner has been added to remind you .. blah blah blah. "

The first most definitely fitting with the thread heading "More Censorship". The second shows professionalism by the Owner/Moderators.

Neither of these statements would be out of place in Law.

However, I`ve found no such postings... so I, like everybody else, will have to guess which way the cookie crumbles. I hope it`s the second one.
  • Options
    I have every respect for the moderators and the action they have taken. I am sure they would not have acted without good cause.

The deafening silence other than the sudden top-level appearance of the T&Cs make it clear this was something forced on them. Had the decision been theirs then it is inconceivable that they would not have explained the reasons.

Given the thread that disappeared was on the unctuous (an adjective which is my reasonable view and not libelous) Tony Keohane it is not hard to work out who kicked up a fuss. What is of deep concern here is that this is the thin end of the wedge, and having succeeded once it is highly likely that the inadequate Katrien Meire will follow suit. After all, we are talking about a woman whose own search engine results are regularly cleansed.

On the plus side, it also shows they are monitoring and are actually scared of this forum. Perhaps they view it as a quasi-CARD area? But that they think by silencing comments everyone will roll over and ignore what they are doing to the club indicates how clueless they are.
  • Options
    What concerns me does not involve CharltonLife itself, as I've made clear numerous times that I think this forum is run very very well, but is the fact this action seems timed at preventing a coordinated response to criminal action against one of our fans. (i.e the assault)

They're running scared.
  • Options

@Bil_Bailey

@LoOkOuT posted the following on the Terms and Conditions thread. I suspect the situation is the same in that there is no further information available, or no information that can be publicly shared at this point.

Just one small point, as i'm sure you are aware it is not uncommon for forums such as this to be contacted by law authorities, legal firms or individuals. These are not things that generally running commentaries are provided on so I don't think CL or another other site is in a required position to say anything publicly in these instances (unless it specifically wished to).

As far as I'm aware, this is the second time the T+Cs have been flagged as a visual at the top of the forum (once you've read just click on the x and you won't see it again).

Additionally, twice in the last four months pinned at the top of the forum have been Posting Usage Reminders on individual responsibility when posting. None of these before have created such interest.

I appreciate in a 24/7 world there is a thirst for knowledge, updates, awareness etc, But there is an equal requirement to act responsibly for various reasons, and sometimes that requires private handling.

Hope that makes sense.

LoOkOuT said:

Sorry for the delay in response, but unfortunately most of the moderators are indisposed today and I've only just woken up! In fact, there isn't much more I can say at this stage, other than that two threads were removed to a moderation queue until such time as we can sift through them. As we have a small moderator team and we have full time lives to get on with, this can sometimes take a little more time than is ideal to work through.

I posted the T&C reminder at the top of the forum as a way of reminding all community members of their responsibilities; these are the same T&Cs that are a condition of creating an account.

Dem's the facts at this stage. We will say more when we are in a position to. In the meantime, please bear with us until such time as we sort these issues out and can return to some semblance of normality.

Thanks everyone,
    LoOkOuT

So what you're saying is that at this point in time you can't confirm or deny that the club or a legal firm acting on the behalf of the club have been in contact? And/or whether they are investigating the contents of the offending threads?
  • Options

@Bil_Bailey

@LoOkOuT posted the following on the Terms and Conditions thread. I suspect the situation is the same in that there is no further information available, or no information that can be publicly shared at this point.

Just one small point, as i'm sure you are aware it is not uncommon for forums such as this to be contacted by law authorities, legal firms or individuals. These are not things that generally running commentaries are provided on so I don't think CL or another other site is in a required position to say anything publicly in these instances (unless it specifically wished to).

As far as I'm aware, this is the second time the T+Cs have been flagged as a visual at the top of the forum (once you've read just click on the x and you won't see it again).

Additionally, twice in the last four months pinned at the top of the forum have been Posting Usage Reminders on individual responsibility when posting. None of these before have created such interest.

I appreciate in a 24/7 world there is a thirst for knowledge, updates, awareness etc, But there is an equal requirement to act responsibly for various reasons, and sometimes that requires private handling.

Hope that makes sense.

LoOkOuT said:

Sorry for the delay in response, but unfortunately most of the moderators are indisposed today and I've only just woken up! In fact, there isn't much more I can say at this stage, other than that two threads were removed to a moderation queue until such time as we can sift through them. As we have a small moderator team and we have full time lives to get on with, this can sometimes take a little more time than is ideal to work through.

I posted the T&C reminder at the top of the forum as a way of reminding all community members of their responsibilities; these are the same T&Cs that are a condition of creating an account.

Dem's the facts at this stage. We will say more when we are in a position to. In the meantime, please bear with us until such time as we sort these issues out and can return to some semblance of normality.

Thanks everyone,
    LoOkOuT

So what you're saying is that at this point in time you can't confirm or deny that the club or a legal firm acting on the behalf of the club have been in contact? And/or whether they are investigating the contents of the offending threads?

5 points to who works out the reference ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The CAS Trust have just published their newsletter containing an article and a letter to the Club which may be relevant to this thread.

I did call the club yesterday to speak to Cliff Eager (responsible for Match Day Security at The Valley) in relation to a matter I witnessed after I left the West Stand Lower in the game v Coventry.
    After being told that he was not in the office until today (Friday) I rang the Club earlier today to be told that he was not in fact in today and would now not be back until Monday.

The Club did pass me to someone else to take my call. I was told that the matter which I had raised had been dealt with and that the Club would ring me back today with further information (that has not yet happened but if it does before 5pm I will come back on).

I can do no more than refer to the CAST newsletter as I am uncertain whether to say more if the Moderators here are under some legal embargo with regard to postings on the subject dealt with in detail in the CAST newsletter.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LuckyReds said:

@Bil_Bailey

Hope that makes sense.

LoOkOuT said:

Thanks everyone,
    LoOkOuT

5 points to who works out the reference ;)
    Finally, a takeover bid from Delia Smith.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The CAS Trust have just published their newsletter containing an article and a letter to the Club which may be relevant to this thread.

I did call the club yesterday to speak to Cliff Eager (responsible for Match Day Security at The Valley) in relation to a matter I witnessed after I left the West Stand Lower in the game v Coventry.
    After being told that he was in the office today (Friday) I rang the Club earlier today to be told that he was not in fact in today and would now not be back until Monday.

The Club did pass me to someone else to take my call. I was told that the matter which I had raised had been dealt with and that the Club would ring me back today with further information (that has not yet happened but if it does before 5pm I will come back on).

I can do no more than refer to the CAST newsletter as I am uncertain whether to say more if the Moderators here are under some legal embargo with regard to postings on the subject dealt with in detail in the CAST newsletter.

Good man, yet again, Coyote. Your the type of fan that makes this club special, people willing to go that extra mile and chase things up.

I sent off my promised emails, but won't go in to what was said, as I'm aware that another poster has posted his responses and that was also removed.
  • Options
    Thankyou @AFKABartram for pointing me in the right direction.
    It has made me realise that I`m not alone with my thinking/guessing.

However, this post by LoOkOout, on the T&C`s thread should go a long way towards putting minds at rest. ( I think the cookie is crumbling in the right way.

Thanks everyone,
    LoOkOuT
    Sorry that I missed it.
  • Options
    post away @Coyotejohn1947 there is no legal embargo on anything. We reminded people of their posting responsibilities, like our moderators have done on numerous times in the past.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

After being told that he was in the office today (Friday) I rang the Club earlier today to be told that he was not in fact in today and would now not be back until Monday.

Good man, yet again, Coyote. Your the type of fan that makes this club special, people willing to go that extra mile and chase things up.

I sent off my promised emails, but won't go in to what was said, as I'm aware that another poster has posted his responses and that was also removed.
    Despite the Club's promise to ring me back today with further detail- no-one did.
    They said that the incident which I witnessed had been dealt with - whatever that means.

Meanwhile, the Chair of the CAS Trust has written a letter to Katrien Meire which is on their electronic newsletter.

This very well constructed letter ends with the following:

...........a club statement has since been released saying that "The individual involved was stopped due to his anti social behaviour before, during and after the game following complaints from supporters".

We would like to add our own question.

Why was it deemed appropriate to apprehend him as he was leaving the ground and on whose authority were these particular individuals deputed to apprehend him?

Presumably the Trust will receive a proper response from the Club/CEO to this question.

• Options
    Thanks to all the moderators for keeping us honest and the right side of the line.

It's easy to get carried away, I know I have.

I have mostly managed to cut out the swearing as I know that it wastes moderators time having to chop it out later.

I'm sure there are still a few posts that, if taken out of the context of the thread, would look embarrassing at best.

And the general principle that you shouldn't post anything on a public forum you wouldn't be prepared to say to someone's face in public seems right to me.

Let's try and keep to that.
  • Options
    By anti-social I assume they mean 'not entirely subjugated'.

Oh look over there, pigs are flying and there will be a reckoning.
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

...........a club statement has since been released saying that "The individual involved was stopped due to his anti social behaviour before, during and after the game following complaints from supporters".
    Having stood next to him that is a ridiculous statement from the club! No way were there any complaints from other 'supporters' they were after the flag nothing else! Pathetic response from the club!

I guess Katrien Meire and Tony Keohane are calling themselves Charlton supporters these days...
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

Having stood next to him that is a ridiculous statement from the club! No way were there any complaints from other 'supporters' they were after the flag nothing else! Pathetic response from the club!

Can't actually find this Club statement referred to in the Trust letter on the OS - is it something they have released through the Press Office?