Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match View: Charlton v Chesterfield

Comments

• Options

mogodon said:

In the long run it's the hard working staff I feel sorry for, there's likely to be less income next year which means the club will struggle to employ the same number of staff

Yet another consequence of the mismanagement. Not that Meire gives a flying one about anyone as beneath her such as employees.
    Employees ?????

Surely she calls them minions !

Servants.
  • Options
    Apart from a short period in the 2nd half even their fans were quiet.
  • Options

Rung my son as final whistle went and he said Holmes and Lookman were shit.By all accounts the boys at the bottom of the F Block gave Holmes the kick up the arse he needed, maybe our Manager should be doing that, and before all the retorts, stop being precious, look where we are with this squad, they all need a fuckin good rocket up their arses.

That'll be the Holmes that was MOM ?
  • Options
    I've spent an hour in the Pleasuance off the Woolwich road with the lad with him attempting to dribble the ball up around 20 yards round a tree stump and the drive hard back in and stoke the ball into a goal area that was about 1 foot wider than me as goalie and 1 foot high.

He is 6.

He improved massively during the training session and enjoyed it a lot.

He, and I, were inspired by Ricky Holmes' runs.

Only beaten today by him scoring a goal from halfway for welling B team 7 and under against foots cray. A goal that had both teams parents and coaches up on their toes clapping.

Well done son.
  • Options

I've spent an hour in the Pleasuance off the Woolwich road with the lad with him attempting to dribble the ball up around 20 yards round a tree stump and the drive hard back in and stoke the ball into a goal area that was about 1 foot wider than me as goalie and 1 foot high.

He is 6.

Only beaten today by him scoring a goal from halfway for welling B team 7 and under against foots cray. A goal that had both teams parents and coaches up on their toes clapping.

Well done son.

As, I think, @seth plum said Ricky Holmes is the sort of player we will remember with affection.

It wouldn't surprise me if "Ricky_Holmes" posts on Charlton Life 10 years on.

There is still hope for CAFC under new ownership.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LenGlover said:

He is 6.

Well done son.

As, I think, @seth plum said Ricky Holmes is the sort of player we will remember with affection.

There is still only hope for CAFC is under new ownership.
  • Options

mogodon said:

In the long run it's the hard working staff I feel sorry for, there's likely to be less income next year which means the club will struggle to employ the same number of staff

Yet another consequence of the mismanagement. Not that Meire gives a flying one about anyone as beneath her such as employees.
    Employees ?????

Surely she calls them minions !

Servants.
    You're right, she has her servants call them minions...
  • Options
    robroy said:

Perkside

A bit unfair on Bernie Ecclestone.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    They sound almost as depressed as us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Manipulated children waving flags.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.
    Half time fun which isn't.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

The children waving flags remind me of Hitler Youth (not the kids fault, they enjoy it of course).
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A pretty dire game with an atmosphere to match.

I'm not surprised that a lot of season ticket holders are not turning up, especially those who only paid £175 for their seats in the Lower North. Season ticket sales may be down by 40% in number (10,300 to 6,300) but the income must be well under 50% of last season's total, especially if, as has been suggested, nearly half of those sold have been at the lowest price. I can't think of another club with such an odd pricing structure (one-third of the price to sit behind the goal and double the price in the North upper) but I guess it gives Katrien the opportunity to try (unsuccessfully) to shore up the numbers and spout her usual message about providing "affordable football" to the hoi polloi. As to the crowd, I can't imagine there were more than 6-7,000 in the ground. So much for the 'Kids For A Quid' promotion.

An exceptionally tepid and low quality first half had only a few incidents of note: the two shots against the post, their keeper's save from Magennis and Rudd getting out well to block a shot from Ched Evans, when a ball over the top sat up nicely for him.

We began the second half better but soon lost momentum and the game started drifting away into the ether. In the latter stages, Chesterfield - as befits a bottom of the table team - dropped deeper and deeper to try and protect their point and we managed to push forward and create one or two things. After Ajose had squandered Botaka's great cross from six yards out, it nevertheless looked like it would finish goalless until Ricky Holmes went past a couple of players and put in an excellent cross for Novak to glance home. Even then, we almost let our toothless opponents equalise in injury time, when a deflected shot wrong-footed Rudd and just went past the near post.

Chesterfield didn't offer any real threat, apart from the play-acting Ayiribi, who was quite fast and tricky, and I was pleased to see our industrial left footers, Fox and Pearce, give him something to complain about with a few crunching tackles. We were generally solid at the back and have now conceded only 14 goals in 15 games, with only Bolton having conceded fewer (granted we've played a game less than most teams). The problems, as we all know, are further forward, with a chronic lack of tempo and an inability to control a game in the middle of the park. While both Holmes and Lookman both like to come inside and can pose a real threat to sides, it would surely have made sense to have tried to stretch Chesterfield's cumbersome defence by using the full width of the pitch. Instead, our wingers spent much of the game tucked in, rather than seeking to isolate their full backs. That had to be on Slade's instructions and reflects his lack of confidence in our central midfield and the fact that our full backs tend to sit very deep. I'm afraid that I have little confidence in his tactical approach, although at least his substitutions made a difference on this occasion.

I thought that Ricky Holmes was by far our best player and there were decent performances as well from Bauer, Pearce and Magennis, as well as an entertaining and highly skilful cameo from Botaka. On the negative side, Ajose missed two gilt-edged chances and he really needs to be putting those away, given that he contributes very little otherwise to the general play. Ademola Lookman had an off day, although he's entitled to one or two of those at his age. In future, though, corners surely need to be taken by Holmes or Fox, with Lookman lurking on the edge of the box, given his ability to jink past people in tight spaces and his shooting power. It's a long time since we've posed a consistent threat at corners and the days of the Stevie Brown's near post flick ons (à la Alan Gilzean) from Mark Kinsella deliveries feel an age away (probably because they are).

Overall, we just about got over the line against a side who had lost their previous five games. The three points takes us into mid-table, which is where this team currently belongs on their performances over the first third of the season. We should certainly be doing better with the talent at our disposal and Slade and his coaching staff really do need to get their collective digit out. If we can get a couple of decent players in January and hold onto what we've got - two big 'ifs' - it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that we could challenge for the play-off lottery. At present, though, it looks unlikely.

Excellent summary.
  • Options

Rung my son as final whistle went and he said Holmes and Lookman were shit.By all accounts the boys at the bottom of the F Block gave Holmes the kick up the arse he needed, maybe our Manager should be doing that, and before all the retorts, stop being precious, look where we are with this squad, they all need a fuckin good rocket up their arses.

Mom thats your opinion
  • Options
    edited October 2016

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

The children waving flags remind me of Hitler Youth (not the kids fault, they enjoy it of course).
    The comparison should surely have been with the Kimjongilist Youth League.

It is unfortunate to have to make these comparisons with an odious regime's youth activities, and I'm sure that Pyonyang would be devastated to find themselves being seen in the same light...
  • Options
    boogica said:

Mom thats your opinion
    Yes, mine and 65% of everyone who commented on the points thread. So Charlton supporters on CL voted him MOM, as they do most weeks.
  • Options

boogica said:

Mom thats your opinion
    Yes, mine and 65% of everyone who commented on the points thread. So Charlton supporters on CL voted him MOM, as they do most weeks.

So wot I honestly don't care wot 65% think .

• Options
    LenGlover said:

He is 6.

Well done son.

There is still hope for CAFC under new ownership.
    Absolutely, I was using @seth plum comments on Ricky Holmes with me and the lad seeing him a few times to try and get my the lad to understand how good Ricky is and how to try and do what he does.

Holmes and Magennis have been good role models for us this season.

Also for me, fox has done well in the games u have watched (understand he's been a. It pony with lookman in front of him).

It is surprising to me that we are where we are in the table.

I still think Russell is good enough to get us into the play offs. I hope so.

• Options

That was utterly appalling. From municipal parks to Man City, football is about guts, fire, strength and ambition.

And the basic essentials: technical skill, and ability to work as a team. We have none of those simple qualities. None at all.

We put together one single decent move in the entire first half. Got forward at speed, Ajose was one-on-one with the keeper. He missed, the ball came back off the post – and Solly ballooned over the open goal.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Watch our defenders: a long ball from Chesterfield, high and easy, arrives at Pearce. He has space and time to control and build. Pearce nods the ball in to a no-man's-land, a midfield vacancy that has been absent for five years. So, we are defending again.

Lookman takes a corner, and is immediately flagged by the lino: ball curved out of play. Our team troop back to the half-way line, like men retreating from a war that didn't happen. Twenty minutes later, Lookman takes another corner – and the lino flags again.

This is a senseless, idiotic waste. A few weeks ago at The Valley, Lookman fluffed four corners – couldn't get the ball past the first defender – then made the same mistake a fortnight later. Why is he still in the team?

Magennis takes our rare attacking throw-ins, hurls a “long” ball towards the box. It falls short. Magennis himself, tall and dangerous, should be at the end of his own intention.

Half time. A fat bloke with a microphone bustles on the pitch and SHOUTS at us in the Covered End as if we are subnormal children. The game is this: some bloke is selected to hit the crossbar and win the lottery.

Stadium falls silent. He steps up – and dribbles a daisy-cutter past the post. The fat man with microphone waddles back to the touchline and interviews Andy Hunt. Even our youngest Lifers know that Andy Hunt scored 28 goals in a season when we were bouncing between the Prem and the Champs.

Andy Hunt's words were incomprehensible to us, because the PA system at The Valley doesn't work. The big screen might have replayed his superb goals – yet we got flashing lights about Enid Scroggins from Bexleyheath winning £100, third prize in the Valley Gold bingo. Why not round it up to a grand, for the sake of dignity?

It's cheap, dull and insulting – to us, the fans, let alone to Andy Hunt. OK, so we troop out for the second half; Slade has given our players a rocket.

Chesterfield are a desperately weak team, yet we spent the next 20 minutes passing sideways and back. Crofts and Ulvestad are anonymous men. Morgan Fox is a liability. We are pressed back to our own box. All other teams have toughness, skill, cunning: a visceral, instinctive urge to win.

Josh Magennis is our best player by far – and he didn't come through the venerable academy at Sparrows Lane. Ajose ought to have forged a connection: Magennis wins in the air, knocks down for his partner – who is 20 yards away, marginal, and slow. A low cross comes over – and Ajose, all on his own, six yards out, heads wide. That's inexcusable. Ball dribbles out for a throw.

Five minutes left. We get a free-kick ten yards outside the box. Of course, a shot to beat the keeper is inconceivable since Yann Kermorgant. Our defenders trundle up. The stadium falls silent again. During the trajectory, our two strikers rush away from the ball. It's a clever move that confused themselves, rehearsed from Monday to Friday. When the ball dropped, Chesterfield cleared.

We are one third of the way through the season. We have lost at Cheltenham and at home to Crawley. We have won a paltry four games from 15 in the league.

Heaven help us.

Just catching up. Very well observed as well as amusing. AFC Wimbledon have also beaten us at home. To be fair, we have still only lost three. Two wins or two losses make our position much better or much worse. I expect we will lose a couple. I really don't think this squad if players is together. We have Roger Fucking Johnson simmering away in the background and the likes of Holmes and Novak cupping ears and shouting at our fans. Perhaps it will engender a bit if backs-to-the-wall fighting spirit. If not, we could see more players ambling through games not giving two hoots.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

boogica said:

jdmotion said:

boogica said:

Awful game, we held a lot of possession in the first half but weren't creating the chances from it. Second half was an improvement, Holmes was getting a lot of undeserved slack though...and rightly made a point of celebrating in front of the few fans that had been slagging him off when we scored!

Holmes got stick like any player would he ain't untouchable , some people to like him some don't ,to be fair he tries but at times he runs around like a headless chicken , instead of moving the ball nice and simple
    But then again we have a few quite similar, he got stick from myself and a few of my mates , but he supplied a cracking cross for the goal and gave the stick back which isn't a problem fair play to him , maybe if Slade gave him a bollocking he might supply crosses like that more often, anyway still a shit performance .
    So you and your mates barrack the player who's been the best we've got all season, and who works harder than anyone. How does that make any sense at all? And how is that supposed to help?
    Our best player that's your opinion .
    My opion is as said above and that goes for most of them mediocre players .
    We're in division 3!

'Mediocre players' goes with the territory. The way to get out of this division is the way Chris Powell did it. Foster a team spirit so that they all work hard for each other and hopefully negate each others weaknesses.

In my view Holmes and Magennis have been our best signings by a street (discounting Rudd as a loan player) and week in week out get the highest marks.
    Totally agree! We are not in the PREMIERSHIP anymore. When you buy a product you get what you pay for - we are a3rd Division club with mostly 3rd Division players - end of story. It's up to the management team to get the best out of what, on paper, is a fairly good squad and one which should be winning far more matches than at present.

• Options
    boogica said:

Awful game, we held a lot of possession in the first half but weren't creating the chances from it. Second half was an improvement, Holmes was getting a lot of undeserved slack though...and rightly made a point of celebrating in front of the few fans that had been slagging him off when we scored!

Holmes got stick like any player would he ain't untouchable , some people to like him some don't ,to be fair he tries but at times he runs around like a headless chicken , instead of moving the ball nice and simple
    But then again we have a few quite similar, he got stick from myself and a few of my mates , but he supplied a cracking cross for the goal and gave the stick back which isn't a problem fair play to him , maybe if Slade gave him a bollocking he might supply crosses like that more often, anyway still a shit performance .
    What did Holmes say back @boogica
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

boogica said:

He looked at my pal and quite simply said fuck off and fair play to him he is totally entitled to,never had a problem
    With that a few more words got exchanged , when he supplied the assist for the winner he ran to our section giving it which is fair enough , people go on like we AV murdered someone FFS , spur of the moment as I've said in other posts , I've heard and seen a lot worse , but some people really like to slap it on and be to nicey nicey .
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

boogica said:

I think he said, "Why don't you sort your grammar out before having a pop at my crossing?"
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    boogica said:

Redhenry said:

boogica said:

He looked at my pal and quite simply said fuck off and fair play to him he is totally entitled to,never had a problem
    With that a few more words got exchanged , when he supplied the assist for the winner he ran to our section giving it which is fair enough , people go on like we AV murdered someone FFS , spur of the moment as I've said in other posts , I've heard and seen a lot worse , but some people really like to slap it on and be to nicey nicey .

Too right j give it out and take it when it smacks you back In the chops

Not bitch and moan when players give it back it's part and parcel of playing footie

• Options

boogica said:

Redhenry said:

boogica said:

Too right j give it out and take it when it smacks you back In the chops

Not bitch and moan when players give it back it's part and parcel of playing footie

Mate that's wot happened some people on here are so politically correct , mate to be fair Holmes had done ok but as said you give players stick cos the team are not playing well you care about your team and want to see results ,so when that ain't happening things get said in the heat of the moment , Holmes rose above the abuse so I take my hat off to him .
  • Options
    It's a shit league and we have enough about us to be involved top end .
    Easy for me to say from a distance having only seen 3 games this season , I like to think I don't care any more but I do having read all of this and a few other threads catching up .
    I hate this ownership and would take the scum getting promoted if it meant these clowns selling up and that shows how low I think of them .
    Without having to bluff 4 young sons in to supporting our ruined club , I would not be anywhere near thinking of going to games , apart from to protest and prolly get myself banned from the place if I was lucky enough.
    1-0 victory against a pile of crap like chesterfield and some are trying to talk it up and slag off others as if things are slowly getting better , come on fffs these disgusting disrespectful bells own us and no matter what football is on offer the whole feel for me will not be right till their departure .

0% Top two ......... 30% 3rd-6th ......... 50% 7th-12th ......... 20%13th-20th ........ 0% relegation .......100% fucked off with these Pratt owners
  • Options
    My empathy is with the refuseniks, yet by attending the home games I take a perverse delight in witnessing our sad decline. Every single failing is another nail in Duchatelet's coffin.

The stadium seemed emptier than ever on Saturday. The Kids For A Quid offer might have sparked youthful cries, yet the place was eerily silent: either the kids are remarkably well behaved, or they were simply absent. Other than gasps of exasperation when yet another ball went astray, the silence was like that of watchers at the bedside of a dying friend.

It's daft that a PA system capable of blasting out senseless music at a million decibels managed to render the words of Andy Hunt inaudible. That's Duchatelet's wonderful Matchday Experience for you. Novak's cynical ear-cupping at the Covered End sealed a desperately bleak afternoon.

Can it get worse? I hope so. Every protest and humiliation marks a step closer to the end of the regime.
  • Options
    It is feeling very surreal going to games. Unfortunately, in a depressing way!
  • Options

seth plum said:

Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.

Seth, please drop me an email (steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk) as I would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify a few things

As I've mentioned before and people who know me know, I am a long serving Charlton fan. I've had a season ticket since 5 years old and travelled home and away. I've seen us have midweek defeats away to Middlesbrough as well as joys such as winning promotion at Carlisle, so I do care passionately about our club.

Dave Lockwood is a very good friend of mine who I still respect and talk to regularly to this day. At the end of last season, he decided to step down from his role as matchday announcer. This was a great shame as I enjoyed working with Dave but understood and respected the decision. We needed to get somebody to replace him and as a Charlton fan I personally would prefer to have someone Charlton related on the microphone who shares the passion and the knowledge so this is why we brought back Brian. It's also not an easy job speaking in front of a lot of people.

I think Brian is doing a good job and is growing into it more and more every game. Simple things like Brian was able to ad-lib a lot of the interview with Andy Hunt yesterday whereas someone non-Charlton wouldn't have known what to ask him.

The PA system is a problem, there is no denying that. It's been mentioned before at some Q&A's but some parts were salvaged from before when we went back to The Valley so I wouldn't like to put a number how many decades old they are. It is a big job and a very expensive job, any sound engineers on here can hopefully vouch for that. I'm only the AV Content Editor but it's a job I'd love to have done but it will take time as it's not a quick job nor a cheap job.

We have a great separate interview with Andy recorded which will go out next week, it's a shame that some people struggled to hear the pitchside interview and it's something I will try to review as much as I can.

In terms of Red Robin to shine some light on the problem, the computer playing out the music completely died during a game. We got through the game then we replaced the computer but the connection to the soundcard wasn't playing music loud enough. We had the volume fully up and boosters fully up and when it came to matchday it still wasn't loud enough. We do test the system throughout the week but it's obviously a lot harder to judge when no one is in the stadium. As far as I believe Red Robin has been playing out loud and proud the last few games as we have brought in a new booster device and play Red Robin off a slightly different system to try to make it as loud as possible. I will continue making sure Red Robin is played as loud as it can.

Finally the students are paid and they are paid well as well. They aren't on minimum wage and I think the benefit they get in experience, as well as the benefit we get are massive. When I watch content as a fan the thing I always watched first were highlights and as you may have seen on Saturday we had goal highlights from eight different goal angles.

Arse kicked....
  • Options

Bath uni is the mutts mate we do loads of work there

Some nice pubs down there to.