Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match View: Charlton v Chesterfield

Comments

• Options
    @sadamson84 ... thanks for the detailed reply, it certainly helps having some honest communication from within the club.

Two thoughts. One, as someone who is a fan as well as an employee, privately what is happening must be upsetting, especially seeing it so close to hand.

Secondly, if Meire stopped acting like she was a third-world dictator trying to suppress a violent mob then she could cut back on the often ludicrous levels of security (especially her own which is now becoming silly) and perhaps buy a better computer and, heaven forbid, invest in a modern PA system. Imagine who bad the current one would be if there was actually a decent crowd in the ground ...
  • Options
    Why were there so many police outside Charlton station before the game, and then at Cannon Street after the game? I couldn't see any justification for the level?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Yes, I was wondering about why so many where there before the game too.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Manipulated children waving flags.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.
    Half time fun which isn't.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

Seth, please drop me an email (steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk) as I would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify a few things

As I've mentioned before and people who know me know, I am a long serving Charlton fan. I've had a season ticket since 5 years old and travelled home and away. I've seen us have midweek defeats away to Middlesbrough as well as joys such as winning promotion at Carlisle, so I do care passionately about our club.

Dave Lockwood is a very good friend of mine who I still respect and talk to regularly to this day. At the end of last season, he decided to step down from his role as matchday announcer. This was a great shame as I enjoyed working with Dave but understood and respected the decision. We needed to get somebody to replace him and as a Charlton fan I personally would prefer to have someone Charlton related on the microphone who shares the passion and the knowledge so this is why we brought back Brian. It's also not an easy job speaking in front of a lot of people.

I think Brian is doing a good job and is growing into it more and more every game. Simple things like Brian was able to ad-lib a lot of the interview with Andy Hunt yesterday whereas someone non-Charlton wouldn't have known what to ask him.

The PA system is a problem, there is no denying that. It's been mentioned before at some Q&A's but some parts were salvaged from before when we went back to The Valley so I wouldn't like to put a number how many decades old they are. It is a big job and a very expensive job, any sound engineers on here can hopefully vouch for that. I'm only the AV Content Editor but it's a job I'd love to have done but it will take time as it's not a quick job nor a cheap job.

We have a great separate interview with Andy recorded which will go out next week, it's a shame that some people struggled to hear the pitchside interview and it's something I will try to review as much as I can.

In terms of Red Robin to shine some light on the problem, the computer playing out the music completely died during a game. We got through the game then we replaced the computer but the connection to the soundcard wasn't playing music loud enough. We had the volume fully up and boosters fully up and when it came to matchday it still wasn't loud enough. We do test the system throughout the week but it's obviously a lot harder to judge when no one is in the stadium. As far as I believe Red Robin has been playing out loud and proud the last few games as we have brought in a new booster device and play Red Robin off a slightly different system to try to make it as loud as possible. I will continue making sure Red Robin is played as loud as it can.

Finally the students are paid and they are paid well as well. They aren't on minimum wage and I think the benefit they get in experience, as well as the benefit we get are massive. When I watch content as a fan the thing I always watched first were highlights and as you may have seen on Saturday we had goal highlights from eight different goal angles.
    The way things are going with the regime masterplan, it'll be a doddle in no time at all....
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Currently I have us around here for the end of the season. A couple of injuries and we're phucked.
    ----------------V--------------

1-2/3-6/7-12/13-18/19-21/22-24

I can see us in 17th, a huge failure on the part of the board.

If we change manager now I could see us turning it, but they will need to be a great man manager or financially supported, I could see this:

---------V---------------------

• Options
    edited October 2016
    They were doubling up on him which says it all! As for your odds, I reckon I could get this squad in the play offs, with a couple of decent midfileders in the January window so Slade ought to manage it, even with his limitations. Just needs to get a reasonable amount of points up to the window!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Currently I have us around here for the end of the season. A couple of injuries and we're phucked.

----------------V--------------

I can see us in 17th, a huge failure on the part of the board.

If we change manager now I could see us turning it, but they will need to be a great man manager or financially supported, I could see this:

---------V---------------------

Hard to disagree with your prediction. Being very cynical, we have only been able to beat relegation candidates at home. I do not think we are good enough to put some form together, i.e 5 wins in a row.

Katrien cannot afford to sack Slade because she has risked everything on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When Katrien said on talksport she was involved in player deals and was preparing for the transfer window I take it to mean getting rid of players,mostspecifically Tex and Ba.
    Tex featured in the Austrian trip, had played some U23 games and has been named on the first team bench. Yet we have been given tales of his injuries.
    Why doesn't Slade plainly say Tex doesn't play because we can't or won't pay?
    I wager that is the true story simply admit it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

When Katrien said on talksport she was involved in player deals and was preparing for the transfer window I take it to mean getting rid of players,mostspecifically Tex and Ba.
    Tex featured in the Austrian trip, had played some U23 games and has been named on the first team bench. Yet we have been given tales of his injuries.
    Why doesn't Slade plainly say Tex doesn't play because we can't or won't pay?
    I wager that is the true story simply admit it.

Because that would confirm what we all know or suspect namely that nothing has in fact really changed!

Slade's hands are tied behind his back when it comes to 'managing' and team selection just as Chris Powell's were albeit for different reasons and motives.
  • Options
    We have a big two weeks coming up in the season. It is a possibility that we could be out of both cups in under 10 days and we have a match against one of the bottom 4.

If we do happen to go out of both cups then there is no hiding for Slade. If we are actually serious about being promoted we need to start winning matches away from home very soon. Anything but promotion this season is a failure but the only hope is that we can finish 6th.
  • Options

We have a big two weeks coming up in the season. It is a possibility that we could be out of both cups in under 10 days and we have a match against one of the bottom 4.

If we do happen to go out of both cups then there is no hiding for Slade. If we are actually serious about being promoted we need to start winning matches away from home very soon. Anything but promotion this season is a failure but the only hope is that we can finish 6th.

You seriously want to advance in the SelcoBuilders/TrustedTraders/Checkmate -or whatever the wretched competition is caused now?

You seriously want to play another home game in this competition against some Premiership Under 23 team in front of a few hundred people where our superstars run the risk of injury because Slade is obliged to play them because of the competition rules?

I hope the results go against us in the next round of this mad tournament so we don't have to be involved with it anymore.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

You seriously want to advance in the SelcoBuilders/TrustedTraders/Checkmate -or whatever the wretched competition is caused now?

You seriously want to play another home game in this competition against some Premiership Under 23 team in front of a few hundred people where our superstars run the risk of injury because Slade is obliged to play them because of the competition rules?

I hope the results go against us in the next round of this mad tournament so we don't have to be involved with it anymore.
    I cannot stand the new format of the JPT. I hate everything about B teams in English football. My comments was about highlighting how there would not be any distractions and therefore no excuses to hide poor league form.

Having cup matches can be a welcomed distraction for clubs. This was showed last season by Barnsley because it allowed them to actually win some matches during there poor league form.

Additionally, if we go out the FA cup before the 3rd round then there will not be any possibility of having a big draw and getting a big pay day for the club.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I read that as the FA and League Cups... You know the two proper cups.

Saying that on re-read he definitely insinuates the Check-a-Trade Trophy with that "we could be out of both cups in under 10 days"
  • Options

seth plum said:

I have to agree with comments about match day communications, and general event management.
    Leaving aside the unforgivable Graham Moore/Ray Treacy situation last year, and the team line ups only coming in until the CARD free programmes were issued, we were told the PA system was buggered.
    The PA System is either still buggered or as I think is more likely badly managed by Mr Adamson and his unpaid student drones. Hearing the Red Red Robin is a lottery each game, and nobody could hear a word Andy Hunt said because of the amateurish incompetence of Brian Cole and his team.
    Once again Brian Cole has the vocal skills of a toothless old crone chewing a double dose of toffee. The faux cheerfulness which I suppose is going on (I can't hear it anyway) during the half time events is embarrassingly ill judged, and in effect quite patronising to the people there.
    It fits in with the fourteen chips, give the supporters any old crap culture that pervades the club. I admit to being rather obsessed with the way the event is structured at the Valley and it is very poor fare.
    Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.

I bet the team that focus on this side of the event pat each other on the back and constantly speak the mantra of 'I think that went pretty well ' to each other to validate what they do.
    In my individual opinion I believe they are very poor indeed and I would probably prefer nothing at all than the cringeworthy patronising rubbish we are presented with.
    I emphasise this is my opinion. Others may love it and they may think it goes pretty well so I am pleased for them.

Seth, please drop me an email (steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk) as I would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify a few things

As I've mentioned before and people who know me know, I am a long serving Charlton fan. I've had a season ticket since 5 years old and travelled home and away. I've seen us have midweek defeats away to Middlesbrough as well as joys such as winning promotion at Carlisle, so I do care passionately about our club.

Dave Lockwood is a very good friend of mine who I still respect and talk to regularly to this day. At the end of last season, he decided to step down from his role as matchday announcer. This was a great shame as I enjoyed working with Dave but understood and respected the decision. We needed to get somebody to replace him and as a Charlton fan I personally would prefer to have someone Charlton related on the microphone who shares the passion and the knowledge so this is why we brought back Brian. It's also not an easy job speaking in front of a lot of people.

I think Brian is doing a good job and is growing into it more and more every game. Simple things like Brian was able to ad-lib a lot of the interview with Andy Hunt yesterday whereas someone non-Charlton wouldn't have known what to ask him.

The PA system is a problem, there is no denying that. It's been mentioned before at some Q&A's but some parts were salvaged from before when we went back to The Valley so I wouldn't like to put a number how many decades old they are. It is a big job and a very expensive job, any sound engineers on here can hopefully vouch for that. I'm only the AV Content Editor but it's a job I'd love to have done but it will take time as it's not a quick job nor a cheap job.

We have a great separate interview with Andy recorded which will go out next week, it's a shame that some people struggled to hear the pitchside interview and it's something I will try to review as much as I can.

In terms of Red Robin to shine some light on the problem, the computer playing out the music completely died during a game. We got through the game then we replaced the computer but the connection to the soundcard wasn't playing music loud enough. We had the volume fully up and boosters fully up and when it came to matchday it still wasn't loud enough. We do test the system throughout the week but it's obviously a lot harder to judge when no one is in the stadium. As far as I believe Red Robin has been playing out loud and proud the last few games as we have brought in a new booster device and play Red Robin off a slightly different system to try to make it as loud as possible. I will continue making sure Red Robin is played as loud as it can.

Finally the students are paid and they are paid well as well. They aren't on minimum wage and I think the benefit they get in experience, as well as the benefit we get are massive. When I watch content as a fan the thing I always watched first were highlights and as you may have seen on Saturday we had goal highlights from eight different goal angles.

We are a division three football club only this shit league and one more from being in the conference it makes sense that the pa and the match day experience is shit
  • Options

seth plum said:

Inaudible PA
    Inaudible interviews.
    Inarticulate announcer.

We are a division three football club only this shit league and one more from being in the conference it makes sense that the pa and the match day experience is shit
    It doesn't have to be the Super Bowl, but it should certainly be better than it is.
  • Options
    I'd support him if he was a bit more positive. I thought he took a bit too long to make teh subs on Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jeez there are some depressing resumes on this thread, I thought I'd add a positivity to the sea of doom.

Chesterfield were poor, but I thought we did well and the 3 points were well deserved.

Most importantly Slade started two up front and made good substitutions at the right time. He's rightly not had a lot of credit so far this season but deserved it after Saturday. Sure the goal was late when we were all chewing fingernails, but if Ajose had put his sitter of a header away earlier it would have been an easy victory.

Slade has signed some great players at this level, Holmes & Magennis tussle for MOTM honours every single week.

The man must be under immense pressure from the ***ts running our club to stop our slide, but Christ I'd rather have him at the helm than another EU muppet. It feels like the rightly aimed negativity at the owner/Belgian bitch is also being aimed at Slade when he should have our support.

UP THE ADDICKS!!

You will be in trouble if your glass is half full, positivity not required on here. Everyone was screaming for Lookman and Ajose ( worse players Saturday ) and attention is now being directed at why Tex isn't playing. However, we have the second best defensive record in the division, so we are doing some things right. Football has been dull at the valley for many years , and this season is no different. However, the team is slowly starting to improve and grind out results. A couple of midfielders needed in Jan and we will be there.

UP THE ADDICKS
  • Options

Jeez there are some depressing resumes on this thread, I thought I'd add a positivity to the sea of doom.

Chesterfield were poor, but I thought we did well and the 3 points were well deserved.

Most importantly Slade started two up front and made good substitutions at the right time. He's rightly not had a lot of credit so far this season but deserved it after Saturday. Sure the goal was late when we were all chewing fingernails, but if Ajose had put his sitter of a header away earlier it would have been an easy victory.

Slade has signed some great players at this level, Holmes & Magennis tussle for MOTM honours every single week.

The man must be under immense pressure from the ***ts running our club to stop our slide, but Christ I'd rather have him at the helm than another EU muppet. It feels like the rightly aimed negativity at the owner/Belgian bitch is also being aimed at Slade when he should have our support.

UP THE ADDICKS!!

Thanks Russell.

• Options
    Lovely to see some positive posts!
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights and a Chris Solly interview sent on a CAFC email ..

Solly is so knowledgeable and articulate, he's a credit to CAFC both as a player and as a terrific individual .. future manager
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Solly is so knowledgeable and articulate, he's a credit to CAFC both as a player and as a terrific individual .. future manager

Or door stop!

Seriously though, seconded. In an era when we have probably seen more disinterested, overpaid, overrated journey men shipped in and and out of our car crash of a club than ever, Solly is one of very few shining lights.
  • Options
    Solly for CEO
  • Options
    Oh come on, Chris couldn't possibly be better in the role than Katrien.
  • Options

Did you think you were going to put that chance away in the First Half? (No hesitation in the response)... Nah!!
  • Options
    All seriousness great to see an Interview with Chris Solly as they're like hens teeth, other than the yearly programme interviews I think its the first time I've seen him in an interview where he's not discussing a Contract that he's just signed... Definitely has Managerial potential though as he's currently taking his badges with Johnnie Jackson and remember the two having a short discussion on twitter about a game they were both watching
  • Options

Did you think you were going to put that chance away in the First Half? (No hesitation in the response)... Nah!!
    Decent player, decent individual.