Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving to Switzerland

Will be gutted not to be able to watch the dross we're serving up every week but I've just been offered a job out there on the outskirts of Geneva, start at the beginning of December. Whos been? And bar the obvious Skiing etc. what is there to do? Good bars/clubs etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Some great Alpine Ibex and Alpine Chamois stalling to be had
  • Options
    Dunno but if you need a housesitter at any point....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    There are a lot of Mountains... and lakes
  • Options
    My Mrs worked there for 8 years albeit in Zurich. She said it had a really good expat community and there were a ton of outdoor things to do both in winter and summer.
  • Options

Great and wasting your time following herbivores around a frozen mountain are not things that are generally considered to be compatible or classed as fun.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Great and wasting your time following herbivores around a frozen mountain are not things that are generally considered to be compatible or classed as fun.
    Odd coming from a Charlton fan
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Odd coming from a Charlton fan
    I'm boycotting.
  • Options

There are a lot of Mountains... and lakes

And, erm .... Swiss rolls?

• Options
    cafcfan said:

But much more fun than following the carnivores that are presently to be seen playing in an empty frozen (this morning anyway) valley in SE7.
  • Options
    I flew into Geneva not so long ago on a Sunday evening for a Monday morning meeting. Not so much a day of 'rest' there by the look of it, more 'comatose' day by London standards. Monday morning about 7-8ish there were blokes on a building site nearby making loads of noise. Went for my meeting about 10ish, not a lot of traffic at that time of day. Flew out lunchtime when the meeting finished quicker than expected, turned up at the airport with about 3 hours to waste for my flight, saw there was one in less than an hour, went to the desk and they changed my ticket straight away. So
    If that's anything to go by, if you like early nights, quiet weekends, early morning starts, getting to work on time and working efficiently then you'll love it there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worked in Lausanne for a bit a few years ago, lovely place.
  • Options
    Great for cycling.
    Expensive.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Will be gutted not to be able to watch the dross we're serving up every week but I've just been offered a job out there on the outskirts of Geneva, start at the beginning of December. Whos been? And bar the obvious Skiing etc. what is there to do? Good bars/clubs etc.

Cheers

They've got an excellent train system, you'll love it :-)

It's not with a well known cigarette manufacturer is it?

• Options
    I used to work a lot in Lausanne. Great place but expensive. Although it's a large city with a metro, you feel somehow that you're in a much smaller friendly town in the country.

The people I knew were constantly complaining to me about the EU and all the rules they were forced to follow. As though it was my fault!
  • Options
    Bloody Expensive
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Switzerland is beautiful but the people are cnts, even worse than the French.
  • Options
    skiing, hillwalking, cycling, all things mountains. Would love to have lived in a place like that for a while. Geneva itself, I have only passed through for an afternoon and my main memory was how exceptionally expensive it was. I hope you have negotiated a large salary!
  • Options
    The chocolate's not bad and they do some decent watches :wink: .
  • Options
    Someone just coincidentally shared this on Faceache. Definitely going here before I kick the bucket....

https://youtu.be/ZnYYtxUd3zk
  • Options
    ....only 7 and half hours away an all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worked there for a week. Horribly expensive. Probably make a nice holiday if you were Rolling in it.
  • Options

Whilst I was out there, I visited friends in Zurich who happened to have a classic Alfa Spider in their garage. Spent a fantastic afternoon tooling around the local winding roads, stopping at villages for coffee. Whilst it wasn't a Lamborghini Muira, for a couple of hours I was Beckermann from the opening credits of The Italian Job.
  • Options
    Thought I recognised that face, I remember you Frank!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Cheers

Lovely boat trip...Geneva to Yvoire (France).
  • Options
    Expensive - Live in France and commute
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I lived in Zurich for a while and still go back frequently. It was a great experience but I couldn't have done any more than 12 months there. That said some of the people I met had been there for over 5 years so it must be working for them.

You really have to like Winter Sports and outside activities to get the most out of it. There's amazing mountains to explore and great bars and restaurants. The Summer was great for festivals and the transport links are good. You can get to Berne, Intelaken, Zurich etc for the weekend very easily. From Zurich I got a direct coach to Munich for the weekend for €10 return so definitely don't limit yourself to exploring just Switzerland.

The Swiss working culture is very 9-5, so join a gym or get a bike to kill some time in the evening.

Finally, the Swiss are very suspicious of outsiders, so make an effort to integrate yourself with the local community. The easiest way to do that is learning the language. I am by no means fluent but I can get passed the morning pleasantries and it won a few people over. I worked with an Irish lady who had been there for 7 years and had refused to learn the local language. She was used as an example by my manager as the type of expat the Swiss hate.

Enjoy it. It will be a great experience and my job in Zurich is the one that everyone asks about when I meet with clients.
  • Options

Going to be based in Nyon, not far at all from Lausanne. Where's best for a night out?