Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Markets

Me and the wife are thinking about driving over to France in a few weeks to go see the Christmas Markets for a day or two.

Can anyone recommend where is worth going (Whether its a well known City or better smaller area?) - Ironically currently considering either Bruges or Brussels

Comments

• Options

If you're considering Bruges or Brussels can I suggest you drive to Belgium rather than France.

You cant go direct to Belgium though can you? - You have to go to Calais or Dunkirk
  • Options
    My bother-in-law commutes every week via Ostend, FA.
  • Options

Where does he go from... Am looking every where but cant find a ferry from Dover etc. to Ostend

I know there used to be one from Ramsgate but doesnt appear to exist anymore?
  • Options

Went to the market in Lille a few years ago. It was very nice.

Second that. Not as 'touristy' as Bruges.
  • Options

Where does he go from... Am looking every where but cant find a ferry from Dover etc. to Ostend

I know there used to be one from Ramsgate but doesnt appear to exist anymore?
    Perhaps they only operate in the summer? I just assumed he took that route all year round? Or it might be that the route stopped, he'd have no reason to inform us unless it came up in conversation. Aplogies FA.
  • Options
    Bruges is lovely at Christmas, been there twice over the last few years. However the 'Christmas market' is pretty small and you could walk around it in about half an hour.
  • Options
    There is going to be one on the new pier at Hastings if anyone fancies a trip out. Not sure what ferry you'd need though ;-)
  • Options
    My sister has her regular stall at Bath Xmas Market this year. I went last year. What a crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    arras is meant to have a nice one.
  • Options
    Ghent has a good one, lovely place was there in august.
  • Options
    P&O run Hull to Zeebrugge, overnight, I think
  • Options
    We're off to Ghent in a few weeks for the Christmas market, bigger than Bruges' and looks good. Plus we've been to Bruges (though not at Christmas) a few times, so heading somewhere different.
  • Options
    I went to the one in Frankfurt a few years ago when I was working out there, which was very good.
  • Options
    Off to Ghent next weekend for the first time, can't wait.
    We did Bruges last Christmas and it is a lovely place. We took the ferry Dover-Calais and drove, it's just over an hour from Calais.
    My top tip - don't leave it till Sunday to stock up on Belgian Beer as all supermarkets are closed.
  • Options
    Went to Christmas market at Strasbourg last year, was fantastic.
  • Options
    I hear St Truiden has a good Christmas market. But if a trek though.
  • Options

Went to Vienna Christmas market a couple of years ago, it meant nothing to me.

Sorry to hear that.

I went to Saint Etienne Christmas market, I thought it was wonderful as I walked along, the Hobart Paving

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Certainly used to do so, although the Southern ports tend to be cheaper
  • Options
    Rothenburg ob de Tauber is one of the nicest. Old medieval town where they filmed the village scenes in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Stunning.
  • Options

What's a matter you?
  • Options
    dortmund one is v good, lots of beer and sausage also get to a game whilst your out there what more could you want :smile:
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    If you go to St Truiden, don't be surprised if you see Russell Slade selling Christmas decorations made out of electronic switches on a stall. We know Roland doesn't like sacked managers he is still paying doing nothing!
  • Options
    Fly to Koln from City, takes an hour and is one of the biggest Christmas markets on earth
  • Options

I can't be the only one for whom the Only Fools and horses episode 'to Hull and back' springs to mind.
  • Options
    I went to Luxembourg a few years back, that was lovely. It's a beautiful city at any time. It's close to Trier too, which has a well respected Christmas market. So if you're keen, you could do both in one trip.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I went to Luxembourg a few years back, that was lovely. It's a beautiful city at any time. It's close to Trier too, which has a well respected Christmas market. So if you're keen, you could do both in one trip.

Luxembourg city and Trier (Germany) certainly are nice city's but if you are driving in Germany or Luxembourg in December your car needs to be fitted with snow tyres.
  • Options
    masicat said:

What's a matter you?
    Shut uppa your face.