Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Port Vale - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    5th highest (reported) attendance yesterday behind Bolton, Sheffield United, Oxford and Bristol Rovers.

Three home wins in a row before this so we can rule out that people are not attending because we are not winning home matches.

• Options
    By the way, I thought Foley played better than Solly has done recently.

It makes one wonder if Solly has been carying a knock. If not he may just lose his place.
  • Options
    wasn't there .. a win is a win .. a real measure of our worth will come next Saturday against the resurgent Blades .. I'll be there for that one .... AND so should y'all ((:>)
  • Options

Did we win that game because Slade had got the chop ?

We were certainly more positive, more attacking and that was without our best player Ricky Holmes, who has been one of only 2 creative threats this season.

I'm thinking that we've been so easy to stop, because our only tactic was give it to Holmes or lump it to Magennis.

No Holmes, meant we moved the ball around more. Fox got forward more, as did Ulvestad & Crofts & Ajose looked more lively and happier.

We started slowly, but picked up well & it was a thoroughly deserved win. I enjoyed it.

Oh and a special mention for Morgan Fox, who probably played his best game.

He had 2 assists and chested away a goal bound shot. I'll nominate Morgan as MOM because of this, although Magennis & Bauer possibly played better overall, but without the assists.

I was also very pleased for Josh. It's about time one of his headers hit the net.

Pearce battled manfully, Lookman looked good. Foley was ok, as was Crofts. Crofts had a good shot saved.

Jackson and the sub Botaka were anonymous.

Ajose was the most lively he's been & looked happier.

So a better all round display without Slade. Coincidence ? It might be, but I doubt it.

There are rumours that Slade lost the confidence of the players.
  • Options

We were certainly more positive, more attacking and that was without our best player Ricky Holmes, who has been one of only 2 creative threats this season.

I'm thinking that we've been so easy to stop, because our only tactic was give it to Holmes or lump it to Magennis.

No Holmes, meant we moved the ball around more. Fox got forward more, as did Ulvestad & Crofts & Ajose looked more lively and happier.

We started slowly, but picked up well & it was a thoroughly deserved win. I enjoyed it.

He had 2 assists and chested away a goal bound shot. I'll nominate Morgan as MOM because of this, although Magennis & Bauer possibly played better overall, but without the assists.

I was also very pleased for Josh. It's about time one of his headers hit the net.

Pearce battled manfully, Lookman looked good. Foley was ok, as was Crofts. Crofts had a good shot saved.

So a better all round display without Slade. Coincidence ? It might be, but I doubt it.

Well he certainly lost the confidence of the fans.

Apart from Elfsborg
  • Options

Well he certainly lost the confidence of the fans.

Apart from Elfsborg
    Sighing and counting to ten.
  • Options

Don't think they are true though.
  • Options
    Deserved win against poor port Vale. Ajose got the goal but did not much else. Fox was good with his assists and he must do more of the going forward with the ball. Well done Morgan. Magennis and Look man were the big difference compared to last week. There was less relief and more deserved appreciation from me at the end. Well done all involved even if the crowd was quiet and sparse.
  • Options
    Port Vale may have been poor(ish), but they were 7th before the game.

AFC were around the bottom 3 when we played them (and somehow lost). They're now 6th, while Port Vale are now 11th!

• Options

Nearly 9000 my backside, here is a picture taken at 3:15 this afternoon-:

Too sad to know on a Saturday afternoon league game you can clearly read The Valley. Should not be happening even in division three.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nearly 9000 my backside, here is a picture taken at 3:15 this afternoon-:

Too sad to know on a Saturday afternoon league game you can clearly read The Valley. Should not be happening even in division three.
    Was thinking exactly the same whilst looking at this picture, you can virtually count the bodies.
  • Options
    There was also briefing against Peeters which seems similar to rumours about Slade.
    Such stories aid justifying stuff, but are not necessarily true are they?
  • Options
    Did not think I could go on Saturday, but the coaching course I was on finished early so went down.

Good first half. Port Vale were poor and just showed up how rubbish this league is.

Ajose needs to kick on now
  • Options
    its a win we sounded lucky to escape with the 3 points from what others have said, worth diddly if we dont follow it up with good performances i think we have enough about us to stay up just, but being optimistic our league games to the end of the year are;

bristol rovers 8th
    sheff utd 2nd
    bradford 4th
    peterboro 5th
    millwall 13th
    mk dons 21st
    southend 9th

if we can somehow get 4 wins out of that lot wouldn't look to bad going into 2017. but that's a very big if, a 2-0 win over a side who at the start of the season many would of said we should be beating.
  • Options

its a win we sounded lucky to escape with the 3 points from what others have said, worth diddly if we dont follow it up with good performances i think we have enough about us to stay up just, but being optimistic our league games to the end of the year are;

bristol rovers 8th
    sheff utd 2nd
    bradford 4th
    peterboro 5th
    millwall 13th
    mk dons 21st
    southend 9th

if we can somehow get 4 wins out of that lot wouldn't look to bad going into 2017. but that's a very big if, a 2-0 win over a side who at the start of the season many would of said we should be beating.

Get a win against Bristol Rovers / Peterborough / MK Dons / Southend

Be more than happy with draws against Sheff Utd / Bradford / Millwall (even if there is a defeat in there too)
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted definitely think were capable and if we do go on to start picking up wins surely that will prove that slade was the problem, imo he played it to safe far too often of course he wasntaided by the fucking circus upstairs, but everyone knows whats going on at charlton and how bad it is so dont accept the job.
  • Options

@ForeverAddickted definitely think were capable and if we do go on to start picking up wins surely that will prove that slade was the problem, imo he played it to safe far too often of course he wasntaided by the fucking circus upstairs, but everyone knows whats going on at charlton and how bad it is so dont accept the job.

Hate to say I'm still really reluctant to lay the blame at Slade's door.

I dont think we'd have done much differently against Port Vale for most of the match as Magennis and Lookman were back which allowed us to hit Port Vale on the counter attack (hence the second goal), something we couldnt do against Swindon but the question does remain, would Botaka and Hanlan have been our first two subs?

Ultimately I think that the board should have taken our depleted squad into account for the Swindon result and Slade should have been given a vote of confidence for the week, failure to win against Port Vale should have then seen the chop.
  • Options
    Goals covered from all the angles (Love this feature that the club do)

Interesting to see how easily Josh brushed off Nathan Smith for the first goal, was reading earlier in the season that he's a Defender who is very highly rated youngster tipped for the Premier League (Stoke interested below), hate to say but if he struggles against someone like Josh (who is very good at this level but isnt Premier League level), then he's got a LOT of work to do

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/transfer-gossip-stoke-city-consider-move-for-port-vale-s-nathan-smith/story-29919856-detail/story.html
  • Options

bristol rovers 8th
    sheff utd 2nd
    bradford 4th
    peterboro 5th
    millwall 13th
    mk dons 21st
    southend 9th

We should be looking at going for 7 wins. The Swindon game aside, the squad has been picking up wins and draws and should now be looking at a run of wins. Win tomorrow night and with Ajose slotting in another and the rest should have momentum behind them.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Interesting stats for Nicky Ajose

Swindon Town by the 21st November 2015 he had 7-goals after 15-games
    Charlton Athletic by the 21st November 2016 he has 5-goals after 18-games (three of those from the bench)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 good goals from 2 good strikers .. too late now but Slade should had a 4 4 2 set up from game one .. anyway, now look to a more productive future
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

By the way, I thought Foley played better than Solly has done recently.

It makes one wonder if Solly has been carying a knock. If not he may just lose his place.

Out until new year with knee injury, now we now why he did not look so good against Swindon, where he was carrying the knock
  • Options
    After the first goal on saturday, when "We want Roland out" started. I turned and looked at KM, she just looked to the skies and laughed, then shook her head.

She must be thinking, why do I bother!
  • Options
    Least this didnt happen to us on the Weekend... (Northampton v Peterborough)

• Options
    robroy said:

After the first goal on saturday, when "We want Roland out" started. I turned and looked at KM, she just looked to the skies and laughed, then shook her head.

Good question- why does KM bother? It would be hard to find a Chief Executive anywhere that had overseen such a dramatic decline in a business/ organisation that stayed in post.

• Options

robroy said:

Good question- why does KM bother? It would be hard to find a Chief Executive anywhere that had overseen such a dramatic decline in a business/ organisation that stayed in post.

yes, I hear you. She must be in complete denial and is being spurned on by her family to keep at it. I class myself as being thick skinned, but F*ck having 1,000's chanting at me every week.
  • Options

robroy said:

We would all rather she didn't bother!