Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    they could do whatever they liked with it, still wouldn't make me want to live there!
  • Options
    I am assuming you are joking about Nicola Hunter Michael.. you can quite easily go off people you know!

• Options
    How my home town is changing. I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm down and hopefully I'll recognise some of it!
  • Options
    Woolwich will turn into one of those weird, wrong side of the railway towns. All beardy hipster twats eating quinoa and tofu on one side while everybody carries on drinking Tennents Super and stabbing each other on the wrong side!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Woolwich will turn into one of those weird, wrong side of the railway towns. All beardy hipster twats eating quinoa and tofu on one side while everybody carries on drinking Tennents Super and stabbing each other on the wrong side!

I was clearly born on the wrong side!
  • Options
    Yes I think its already gone that way. I popped into the Equitable last night... a glass of red and a small bowl of nuts. 8.95 for the pleasure. General Gordon square... dearie me.

Do like getting the boat home though and getting off at the Arsenal and this will only improve it.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

To the uneducated passer-by it may seem like that.

If you knew what Berkeley homes were working on and what they have planned then you'd be quickly understand the regeneration will spread much further than just the Royal Arsenal.

they could do whatever they liked with it, still wouldn't make me want to live there!

Good, you'd probably do yourself a favour by not opening a thead entitled 'WOOLWICH' then...
  • Options

I was born in Woolwich and lived there until my early 20's. It was always seen as a step up moving out of Woolwich to places like Welling, Bexleyheath etc.

I agree 100% with Nicola Hunter

clive said:

Plans for a new 450 seat theatre approved for Royal Arsenal site,hope this one has heating.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39379554

Don't let Roland see this, 450 seats would be ideal for a ground share :smile:
    Not that I'm against the theatre or anything but i recently recieved a letter from 'the mayor of London' explaining how it would be impossible to Re-zone Woolwich from zone 4 to 3/4 as it would cost too Much.
    A day later this 32 Million pound theater was approved.
    :neutral:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Yes I think its already gone that way. I popped into the Equitable last night... a glass of red and a small bowl of nuts. 8.95 for the pleasure. General Gordon square... dearie me.

Do like getting the boat home though and getting off at the Arsenal and this will only improve it.

Am on the boat now and its a great way to travel home. I started to worry about what Woolwich has become when I went to the Cornerstone Cafe in the Royal Arsenal. It was packed with loads of posh people and my meal was very pricey. Felt like I was in Putney or something.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    And before I get another comment, I live in Woolwich despite my username :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was born in Woolwich and lived there until my early 20's. It was always seen as a step up moving out of Woolwich to places like Welling, Bexleyheath etc.

clive said:

Plans for a new 450 seat theatre approved for Royal Arsenal site,hope this one has heating.

Not that I'm against the theatre or anything but i recently recieved a letter from 'the mayor of London' explaining how it would be impossible to Re-zone Woolwich from zone 4 to 3/4 as it would cost too Much.

To be fair I don't think the funding is from the same source. TFL have nothing to do with what theatres or not are built anywhere.

• Options
    edited March 2017

clive said:

To be fair I don't think the funding is from the same source. TFL have nothing to do with what theatres or not are built anywhere.

I know that. In fact it's obvious that Berkeley may have had a hand in this. Or if not them then any other corporation with money to spunk. But I'll seize any chance to have a dig at khan if I can!
    :)
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15205818.Further_Woolwich_transformation_ahead__Plans_for_town_centre_to_be_shown_to_the_public/?ref=mr&lp=5

Plans for a cinema, shops, restaurants, offices and up to 750 new homes in Woolwich are being unveiled to the public.

A two-day exhibition is being held to show the plans for 4.6 acres of land at Spray Street in the town centre.
  • Options
    Don't think this article on more Woolwich regeneration was linked... the Waterfront moving to Wilkos. I love Wilkos. And the Bull pub to go.. which I know will upset a few. I walk along Vincent road each work day and that road is going to change beyond recognition, what with the new primary school going up where the old home used to be.

https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/demolition-of-woolwichs-waterfront-leisure-centre-and-move-to-general-gordon-square-pushes-ahead/

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Don't think this article on more Woolwich regeneration was linked... the Waterfront moving to Wilkos. I love Wilkos. And the Bull pub to go.. which I know will upset a few. I walk along Vincent road each work day and that road is going to change beyond recognition, what with the new primary school going up where the old home used to be.

https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/demolition-of-woolwichs-waterfront-leisure-centre-and-move-to-general-gordon-square-pushes-ahead/

Interesting to see what is in the pipeline.
    The waterfront is looking awful at the moment, from the outside at least, and a new leisure center closer to the station makes sense.

I had a look at the plans for the spray street regeneration last week.They were quick to tell everyone that existing businesses will be relocated when they start development, you'd hope a similar offer was put the way of wilko and the bull.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

That hasn't lasted very long then. I think it opened around 1983?
  • Options
    They've done similar in Brixton and I thought it was really good.
  • Options
    As far as I know, no alternative has been offered for the Bull, but I don't think the landlord was ever after that. He has the old Catholic Club as well and has been waiting for buy-outs.

As for the Zoning of Woolwich Arsenal, Boris put the mockers on that long before Sadiq. He approved moving Stratford but turned Woolwich down around the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife is gutted that Wilko is going! Apparently, this is going to be built in front of TESCO...
  • Options

My wife is gutted that Wilko is going! Apparently, this is going to be built in front of TESCO...

Wow. Usual landmark bollocks. Not we'll build as high as we can on the pavement and hope the public back us in making as much money as we can.
  • Options
    Plans for a restaurant on Powis Street blocked for ridiculous reasons. One is losing a shop unit - that was a failed dunkin' donuts. The owners were looking at getting a good restaurant in there - something badly needed.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/08/10/greenwich-council-planners-block-new-restaurant-in-woolwich-holding-back-the-town/

It's almost as if Greenwich Council want to keep it down
  • Options

That is horrendous. Is it going ahead?

• Options
    Curb_It said:

That is horrendous. Is it going ahead?

I was walking home a few months ago and saw that there was an event at the tramshed where the plans were unveiled. There were quite a few angry people there, but it looked very likely that it would be going ahead. I understand that the bottom three floors will be retail space and the other twenty or so will be flats.
  • Options
    And yes, it is horrendous
  • Options
    The tower planned in front of Tesco is covered here.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/03/29/controversy-ahead-as-design-revealed-for-800-homes-around-tesco-in-woolwich/

Greenwich Council have had plenty of chances to alter plans but 1) refuse to adopt a masterplan drawn up 2+ years ago (at high cost) which capped heights on the site 2) Renewed a lapsed application for a tower a couple of months ago making this a formality.

So they've blocked good restaurants coming to Powis Street yet do all they can to allow a tower on greenery that's way out of scale...
  • Options
    Way out of scale is correct. Its going to look stupid.

Block a good restaurant and allow yet another new bookies in Plumstead. I hear you.
  • Options
    The density of developments in Greenwich and Woolwich is far too high - unclear how the he'll planning permission is given.

This is just as bad as the centre of Lewisham.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SF-02 said:

The tower planned in front of Tesco is covered here.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/03/29/controversy-ahead-as-design-revealed-for-800-homes-around-tesco-in-woolwich/

Greenwich Council have had plenty of chances to alter plans but 1) refuse to adopt a masterplan drawn up 2+ years ago (at high cost) which capped heights on the site 2) Renewed a lapsed application for a tower a couple of months ago making this a formality.

So they've blocked good restaurants coming to Powis Street yet do all they can to allow a tower on greenery that's way out of scale...

For months I have had an inkling that the council are steadily pushing Woolwich and Plumstead in a backwards direction for whatever reason . All I will say for the time being is thank goodness for the local bloggers who constantly seem to unearth and expose the Greenwich council dodgy dealings.