Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options

SF-02 said:

The tower planned in front of Tesco is covered here.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/03/29/controversy-ahead-as-design-revealed-for-800-homes-around-tesco-in-woolwich/

Greenwich Council have had plenty of chances to alter plans but 1) refuse to adopt a masterplan drawn up 2+ years ago (at high cost) which capped heights on the site 2) Renewed a lapsed application for a tower a couple of months ago making this a formality.

So they've blocked good restaurants coming to Powis Street yet do all they can to allow a tower on greenery that's way out of scale...

For months I have had an inkling that the council are steadily pushing Woolwich and Plumstead in a backwards direction for whatever reason . All I will say for the time being is thank goodness for the local bloggers who constantly seem to unearth and expose the Greenwich council dodgy dealings.

Presumably the developers call the shots.
  • Options
    I haven't been back to Woolwich town centre in what must be 20 years - from what I pick up on here I doubt I would recognise it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I haven't been back to Woolwich town centre in what must be 20 years - from what I pick up on here I doubt I would recognise it.

Oh you would. Powis Street is still the same... although Marks closed and a "Poundland" opened in its place.

• Options
    Walked through the posh new bit of Woolwich for the first time the other day en route to that Con Gusto place. Great food, very expensive. Whole development gave me the creeps a bit
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Walked through the posh new bit of Woolwich for the first time the other day en route to that Con Gusto place. Great food, very expensive. Whole development gave me the creeps a bit

Shurely shome mishtake?

(it was all posh when I lived there!!)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

bobmunro said:

Oh you would. Powis Street is still the same... although Marks closed and a "Poundland" opened in its place.

Marks closed?

Now you've upset me ...... and thinking back it is nigh on 30 years ago since I walked down Powis Street.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Curb_It said:

bobmunro said:

Marks closed?

Now you've upset me ...... and thinking back it is nigh on 30 years ago since I walked down Powis Street.
    The new one is ten times better, although it's not actually in Woolwich.

I went to Woolwich for the first time in ten years shortly before moving back. I felt like I was in a different town when in General Gordon Square, but it all felt very familiar along Powis Street, which could do with some tlc.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

bobmunro said:

Curb_It said:

bobmunro said:

Marks closed?

The new one is ten times better, although it's not actually in Woolwich.

I went to Woolwich for the first time in ten years shortly before moving back. I felt like I was in a different country when in General Gordon Square, but it all felt very familiar along Powis Street, which could do with some tlc.
    Corrected for you.

• Options

SF-02 said:

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/03/29/controversy-ahead-as-design-revealed-for-800-homes-around-tesco-in-woolwich/

Greenwich Council have had plenty of chances to alter plans but 1) refuse to adopt a masterplan drawn up 2+ years ago (at high cost) which capped heights on the site 2) Renewed a lapsed application for a tower a couple of months ago making this a formality.

So they've blocked good restaurants coming to Powis Street yet do all they can to allow a tower on greenery that's way out of scale...

For months I have had an inkling that the council are steadily pushing Woolwich and Plumstead in a backwards direction for whatever reason . All I will say for the time being is thank goodness for the local bloggers who constantly seem to unearth and expose the Greenwich council dodgy dealings.

Presumably the developers call the shots.
    It's a big developer who own most of Powis Street that wanted the restaurant to improve the choice on Powis Street. Greenwich still blocked it. Maybe it's only certain developers in certain places they want.
  • Options
    SF-02 said:

They are going to call it the Big Erection
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many of you remember Woolwich in the Fifties and early Sixties?.I now live in Kent,but during that period I used to visit my Grandparents in Francis Street(woolwich).Woolwich was a nice town,with the big department stores,Cuffs,Garrets and of course the Royal Arsenal Cooperative.I have not been to Woolwich since the early 2000s by all accounts it has changed for the worse.
  • Options
    I'd say it's quite a bit better than it was in the early 2000s, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

How many of you remember Woolwich in the Fifties and early Sixties?.I now live in Kent,but during that period I used to visit my Grandparents in Francis Street.

By coincidence, my grandparents lived in Rideout Street off Francis Street as did my parents and I was born into this house in 1953. I lived there until age 5 when we moved to Abbey Wood.
    My Mum worked at Woolwich co-op.
    In those days before superstores, retail parks and home entertainment it was a vibrant, bustling, lively and attractive place with a few rough edges.
    A market town and a military town with a sense of it"s own history.
    "A typical British town" announced Macdonald's when they opened their first UK store there.
    By the mid-80's I hated going there!
  • Options

I'd say it's quite a bit better than it was in the early 2000s, but that's just my opinion.

In the late 90s and early 2000s it was getting really run down and at least now they're getting investment in the area. There does seem a big split between the new developments and the rest which will store up problems.

The council needs to be attracting more industry into the area rather than overloading it with poor quality residential developments. It risks becoming very soulless which seems to be true for a lot of London.

• Options
    Woolwich town centre in the fifties and sixties was a nice place. It's decline started in the early seventies and in all honesty the whole place became shabby and disappointing. No offence but it always reminded me of a Northern town centre. Down at heel. For many years it suffered very badly from a lack of investment. It's riverside location and proximity to central London seemed to be overlooked by developers but more recently that's all changed. What's taken place with DLR, Crossrail, The Arsenal and now the latest rounds of regeneration is I think fantastic. I'll agree the tower looks a little too high for its surroundings but I don't think that's necessarily a complete disaster.

I suspect that at some point we might also see Powis and Hare Street completely redeveloped. The shops there just won't cut it with the new area profile.
  • Options
    I think the development of the royal arsenal has been good but high rise buildings ruin the look of the area and it may get worse. In saying that, with the exceptional transport links being put in place, investment will continue at a high pace and I expect it to become a very expensive place to live. This was something I never exepected 10 years!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    IT_Andy said:

I think the development of the royal arsenal has been good but high rise buildings ruin the look of the area and it may get worse. In saying that, with the exceptional transport links being put in place, investment will continue at a high pace and I expect it to become a very expensive place to live. This was something I never exepected 10 years!

I agree with you and hope this is the case for years to come.
    But even at the present time it is expensive to live there. I posted on here a while back that I saw an estate agency ad for one bedroom flats in the RA the cheapest one will set you back £400,000.00 and if you want a car parking space with that then you'll need to shell out £23,000.00 on top.

• Options

Happy memories of growing up in Woolwich in the 1960's:

- Punch up in the Shakespeare.

Ha, remember that on a regular basis, we had a few with the bouncers in the 70's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Ha, remember that on a regular basis, we had a few with the bouncers in the 70's.
    My mates dad had the Shakespeare (Bill Jones) late 60's early 70's. Yes it was a lively place!!
  • Options
    The Crypt Club under St Mary's Church.
  • Options

- Cuffs... you could buy potassium nitrate there!
    - Coffee grinder in the Coop supermarket
    - Hot peanuts from Woolworths
    - Smoking Park Drives on the ferry
    - Black Cat Chinese take away in Vincent Road
    - Thriving market stalls
    - Scared of Bell Water Gate because someone drowned there
    - Saturday morning pictures at the ABC with Uncle Harry
    - Rainbow cafe
    - Sam's
    - Furlongs record store

My grandfather was one of the first batch of traffic wardens in the early 60's. Saturday mornings in Powis Street he used to put an out of order bag over the meter so we could park free. Bacon rolls in cafe by the old ferry.
  • Options
    Walk through the place every day. The word I would use to best describe it is Khazi.
    Inhabited by rude and ignorant people, in the main.
    The only part of town that the majority of RA residents see, is the dlr station.
    They won't even have to leave the development when crossrail opens.
    Why would they ? No decent shops and they'll hardly want to shop in the market or drink in the Ordnance.
  • Options

Walk through the place every day. The word I would use to best describe it is Khazi.
    The only part of town that the majority of RA residents see, is the dlr station.
    Why would they ? No decent shops and they'll hardly want to shop in the market or drink in the Ordnance.

But it's changing. People used to talk about Deptford in the same way some years ago. Once the Spray street development is complete and the new plans near the square. It's certainly on the up.

• Options
    Family of ducks holding up traffic outside Tesco when I went past one minute ago
  • Options

But it's changing. People used to talk about Deptford in the same way some years ago. Once the Spray street development is complete and the new plans near the square. It's certainly on the up.

Yep there's tons of places that have changed quickly. Admittedly Greenwich Council don't seem to know what they're doing but events overtake them. The Spray Street development will be huge and get people out of the Arsenal, as will the planned boxpark market, and better restaurants. There's also plans such as this near Spoons for hundreds of homes and cinema:

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2016/10/08/second-cinema-coming-to-woolwich-as-part-of-new-310-home-scheme/
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Family of ducks holding up traffic outside Tesco when I went past one minute ago

I found an injured duck outside Tesco on Tuesday. Took it to the local PDSA.
    A load of them live on the roof of the flats above Tesco.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Were they West Indian?
  • Options
    SF-02 said:

Yep there's tons of places that have changed quickly. Admittedly Greenwich Council don't seem to know what they're doing but events overtake them. The Spray Street development will be huge and get people out of the Arsenal, as will the planned boxpark market, and better restaurants. There's also plans such as this near Spoons for hundreds of homes and cinema:

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2016/10/08/second-cinema-coming-to-woolwich-as-part-of-new-310-home-scheme/
    They said "the indoor market"? It was always known as the covered in market when I was a nipper .

Until they build a proper shopping centre on Powis street it'll never attract people to shop there.