Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options

The Wimpy always has at least a few people in, I suspect "people" being in the same sense as "people" in Men in Black.

According to my cleaning lady who is very much Woolwich ITK the Earl keeps going thanks to a louche late-nite clientele who are not averse to the consumption of recreational chemicals. The recent taping-off of the town centre, iirc, was due to a stabbing outside the Earl.

I thought as much, as the loos have moved upstairs and there is a cloakroom of sorts up there as well.
    That and the ahem the attractive lights hanging horizontally in the front window.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Miss the Music shop though. Especially those plastic bags for your 45's
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Strangely enough the Wimpy on the corner is also still going. Thomas Street must be in some kind of a time warp.

I know. I find that really odd. I don't think I know anyone who has had a Wimpy in the last 20 years.

I remember Burger King opening in Woolwich around 15 years ago and that didn't last long at all.
    Funny that, not many Wimpy Bars up t’north and a quarter-pounder with cheese is something I really miss!

The American Beefburger Bar in Greens End was always the best.

Weird. I was trying to think of what "meal" it was that I loved in The Wimpey.
    Yes, the quarter-pounder with cheese (and chips), I loved the sauce.
    Occasionally, if I was feeling really greedy I'd also have an ice cream float.
    And don't forget a Wimpey grill with the curled and cut sausage (allegedly)
  • Options
    edited February 2018

bobmunro said:

Strangely enough the Wimpy on the corner is also still going. Thomas Street must be in some kind of a time warp.

I know. I find that really odd. I don't think I know anyone who has had a Wimpy in the last 20 years.

I remember Burger King opening in Woolwich around 15 years ago and that didn't last long at all.
    Funny that, not many Wimpy Bars up t’north and a quarter-pounder with cheese is something I really miss!

Bender? Not sure what it’s called in these PC days.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Bender? Not sure what it’s called in these PC days.
    That's the one.
  • Options
    I loved a "bender in a bun"
  • Options

I loved a "bender in a bun"

Sounds a bit dangerous.....
  • Options

Street Feast start trading in the indoor market this weekend.
    Looks promising..

That's the Covered In Market? You're pulling my .......
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Looks promising..

That's the Covered In Market? You're pulling my .......
    Feck me, who bought the place Peter Stringfellow? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to be cold in there surely. Only open for two years before the whole thing gets pulled down. Going to be good to see how this goes.

8 food stalls and 5 bars. Lovely.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Going to be cold in there surely. Only open for two years before the whole thing gets pulled down. Going to be good to see how this goes.

8 food stalls and 5 bars. Lovely.

An indoor mini pub crawl, like you say though flippin cold.......
  • Options

Looks promising..

Only the metal detecting arches to instal and they're ready.
  • Options
    They'll be few of the Mcdonalds lot in there
  • Options
    Went to the Dial Arch when I was last over and gutted to see the Firepower Museum has closed it's doors, used to love going up through the deer park on my bike with my dad to the Rotunda Museum to have a look round. Does anyone know what happened to all the exhibits?
  • Options

The Museum is planned to reopen in 2020 in Salisbury.

Wiki article :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firepower_–_The_Royal_Artillery_Museum
  • Options

Went to the Dial Arch when I was last over and gutted to see the Firepower Museum has closed it's doors, used to love going up through the deer park on my bike with my dad to the Rotunda Museum to have a look round. Does anyone know what happened to all the exhibits?

Sold to American schools.
  • Options
    SF-02 said:

They'll be few of the Mcdonalds lot in there

Indeed. I really like the street feast thing in Lewisham, took my kids even and found it to be really safe. Not sure I’d feel the same in Woolwich anymore and I grew up there .
  • Options
    Has anyone used the Dial Arch? We booked a table and ate there. I thought it was okay, but have definetly had better.

The highlight for me was watching the millennials queuing at the bar in one straight line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't mind the Dial Arch but prefer to drink in its neighbour the Guardhouse. It is fairly poncy but it is very nice. I do like it.

Gary Lineker was at the Street Feast last night. Friend of the owners apparently. Saw a few pics on twitter.
  • Options
    40 quid for a bottle of SB in a big old market. Bit pricey.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Has anyone used the Dial Arch? We booked a table and ate there. I thought it was okay, but have definetly had better.

The highlight for me was watching the millennials queuing at the bar in one straight line.

Dial Arch is alright, they do a good sunday roast but there are much better and cheaper options nearby.
    The Equitable and taproom (for a pizza and wings) are both miles better in my opinion.

If you want to push the boat out then it has to be con gusto, a stone's throw from the dial arch.

• Options

Dial Arch is alright, they do a good sunday roast but there are much better and cheaper options nearby.
    The Equitable and taproom (for a pizza and wings) are both miles better in my opinion.

If you want to push the boat out then it has to be con gusto, a stone's throw from the dial arch.

Starter of Chicken Liver Pate - Easy to do and wasn't really well presented with a sprig of parsley on top? = 6.5/10

Main of Sausage and Mash - Two average sausages, a quenelle of mashed potato with 2 onion rings sticking out and the runniest, most transparent gravy I think I have ever had. Sprig of parsley on top WTF? = 5/10

Desert - Sticky Toffee Pudding with Salted Caramel Ice Cream - This was actually really nice and went down lovely = 8/10

Mum and brother had Whitebait for starter, which had a proper fishy smell about it, I tried me mums and it was okay. I can't remember what sister -in-law had

Mum, brother and sister-in-law had pork belly for main as a sunday roast. I helped me mum with her pork belly and it was quite nice. I wished I went with that now.
  • Options

I can't aspire to such grand dining, I'm afraid.

Highly recommended - Friends Cafe, Barnard Close (the little turning at the junction of Powis St and Hare St). And also Granier, Powis Street - a Spanish-owned bakery.
  • Options
    Looking forward to trying this new chippy when it opens next week on Powis Street. Selling spam fritters.

• Options
    Spam fritters were my favourite at school
  • Options
    ....don't tell my brother about the spam fritters, @Curb_It they'll sell out before you get a chance to try one
  • Options

Good news about Fishyard. They were expected to open at the end of Jan, and there didn't seem to much going on. Perhaps they have the same advisers as RD. Looking forward to the opening.