Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options

Good news about Fishyard. They were expected to open at the end of Jan, and there didn't seem to much going on. Perhaps they have the same advisers as RD. Looking forward to the opening.

Can't wait to check out the plaice

;)

• Options
    edited March 2018
    This cannot be for real. Have I been partying in the Earl of Chatham, perhaps? We are now Coolwich, it seems. To honour our new status I came up with POW!s Street - to a resounding silence, I must admit - but Coolwich, well, that's pretty neat. I must get me one of them T-shirts ....

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/welcome-to-woolwich-the-ultimate-guide-to-going-out-in-se18-a3779886.html
  • Options

Coolwich fashion ....

https://coolwich.teemill.com/

• Options

This cannot be for real. Have I been partying in the Earl of Chatham, perhaps? We are now Coolwich, it seems. To honour our new status I came up with POW!s Street - to a resounding silence, I must admit - but Coolwich, well, that's pretty neat. I must get me one of them T-shirts ....

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/welcome-to-woolwich-the-ultimate-guide-to-going-out-in-se18-a3779886.html

Reading that I was trying to imagine how a similar article written in the 70s would read. Somewhat more ‘gritty’ I would think!

• Options

So finally it's our turn .... What's the matter, London, did you run out of places to gentrify?

Well, to all those trendy types who think that Zone Four is a ******* night club, the new message must be - transpontine is good!! And don't forget - it is NOT Elizabeth Line, it's Crossrail and always will be, ok??

GlassVeryFull
  • Options
    Just back from the Woolwich covered market.

Good meeting point for West Ham away when we next play them.

I'll fill myself up on yumplings before I shout tally Ho!
  • Options
    Just got back from a night in the Equitable. Grand pub as always.

Noticed the big new hipster bar in the market. Looked busy, but it is strange how different the people are that gather there compared to what you would expect to find in Woolwich.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I think I might get in trouble for that one above. Don’t leave your phone out Tav!

Anyway I loved the market. Had a beer with the charming Addick in SW16. Had a really good nose around and met quite a few. Actually left and bumped in to mates so got dragged back in.

Well worth a trip with the family.

Was lovely to bump into you. I owe you guys a drink! :smile:
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I think I might get in trouble for that one above. Don’t leave your phone out Tav!

Anyway I loved the market. Had a beer with the charming Addick in SW16. Had a really good nose around and met quite a few. Actually left and bumped in to mates so got dragged back in.

Well worth a trip with the family.

What's it like for parking and toilets?

Asks Mrs Baldy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They’ll be selling halloumi I’ll bet. Even the chippy we use in Swamscombe has it these days.
  • Options
    Didn’t spot any halloumi else I might’ve had some!

Zero parking I’d say. The entry is round the back on Spray St for the moment. So Wilkos car park maybe? Didn’t use the loo but they had some!
  • Options
    So the company were “sounded out by the council” a couple of years ago but the process went out to tender. Objections made by Met Police, local residents and the Noise Team at RBG but overruled by the Licensing Committee.

• Options

So finally it's our turn .... What's the matter, London, did you run out of places to gentrify?

Well, to all those trendy types who think that Zone Four is a ******* night club, the new message must be - transpontine is good!! And don't forget - it is NOT Elizabeth Line, it's Crossrail and always will be, ok??

GlassVeryFull

Until they open crossrail 2, and possibly, 3 then four...at which point all of you anti-royal bores will have no option other than to refer to it, rightly, as the Elizabeth Line.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    doing up areas just moves the pondlife to somewhere else, notably bexleyheath is an absolute shithole where as 10 years ago wasn't as bad.

unfortunately there are people that are happy to sit and claim benefits when there work able and just cause problems.
  • Options

doing up areas just moves the pondlife to somewhere else, notably bexleyheath is an absolute shithole where as 10 years ago wasn't as bad.

unfortunately there are people that are happy to sit and claim benefits when there work able and just cause problems.

When I lived in Woolwich and Plumstead, Bexleyheath was aspirational!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Beat me to it Bob, most of my mates from Charlton / Woolwich have bought in the Barnehurst / Bexleyheath area.
  • Options
    ...funny thing is, I'm at home today as not been too well and sitting with the dogs watching some crimes documentary. Women from Bexleyheath, murdered in the 1900's in Great Yarmouth, by her husband who worked at the Woolwich Arsenal

Just showed the Prince Albert "Rose's" boozer over from the Waterfront an all....
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If anything the 2 have swapped places, crime is at a high rate even the pubs from 7pm now use plastic cups instead of glasses.
  • Options
    I am Bexleyheef born and bred but ended up in Plumstead via many other places.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

GlassVeryFull

Until they open crossrail 2, and possibly, 3 then four...at which point all of you anti-royal bores will have no option other than to refer to it, rightly, as the Elizabeth Line.
    I will be long underground myself by the time the Crossrail franchise is extended. Living in the Royal Borough of Greenwich (and an occasional patient at the QEH), my local Tube line is the Jubilee and I wouldn't have thought the old 'un could complain about a lack of recognition. I was present when she opened the Victoria Line (Gawd, that's another one) in 1969, and remember thinking at the time that that would be the nearest she would ever get to public transport apart from the line itself passing more or less beneath Buckingham Palace.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Does anyone know if the Prince Albert "Rose's" pub is still open today? It's on the corner on Hare Street and the alley way leading to Powis Street (I think that's called Montgomery Square?). They filmed in there on the documentary, but I don't know when it was made
  • Options

Much of that block will go. The alley is called Mortgramit Square. Some shops on Powis Street adjacent to the old Co-op (now flats) were shut down months ago. As usual From The Murky Depths has the details -
    http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2017/11/15/town-centre-tower-plan-surfaces-again-in-woolwich/
  • Options
    Popped in to the Market before the Weller gig on Saturday. They were doing a great trade and the place was packed out with a lot of families. Lots of mums, toddlers and dogs wandering around. Have to admit that there were a lot of trendy beards (mine's too grey/white to be trendy!!) around and did think I had been transported to Hoxton or Shoreditch. Only stayed for a couple, but would definitely go back and give the food and different bars a try. The entrance/exit is a little dodgy (in terms of no lighting and very uneven, broken up ground), so can imagine a few coming a cropper there.
  • Options
    I really don’t think there is anything very much of architectural value that would be missed if that whole Powis / Hare Street area was completely redeveloped. It’s grown up over the years as a complete hotch potch of styles. One or two of the facades would be worth retaining but much of it is already depressing. A lot of money is being poured into Woolwich and the two main shopping streets need to reflect the aspirations for the area.
  • Options
    Of all the boozers that have closed over the years, I'm gobsmacked that that place is still going
  • Options

Of all the boozers that have closed over the years, I'm gobsmacked that that place is still going

I think it's quite popular with real ale etc.

Written by the Deserter a few years ago: Until the arrival of the Woolwich Equitable, Rose’s was the undisputed queen of Woolwich pubs, without even trying. It hasn’t changed much since Moses’ balls dropped, with its wood panels, Thames mural and old boys supping stoically at the bar. Two more recent additions are the bearded dragons, Ronnie and Reggie, whose ‘mustn’t grumble’ demeanour fits right in. Good ale, darts, footy and the racing ensure there’s little else one might need. Thumbs up, even to the mentally ill punter having a vigorous debate with his imaginary friend about Brian May’s marital status.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Not Woolwich, but this has just been shared on a Facebook group. I remember this gaff well. RIP Mr Pink -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh_sho2NGw
  • Options
    used roses before catching the boat to Upton Park 92/3