Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    SE23 said:

Absolute shit hole! Sorry if you live live there but proper gentrification will never happen..Too far out!

DLR and Crossrail have and will make a huge difference. DLR to Canary Wharf in 15 mins and Elizabeth Line to Bond Street in 21 and Lizzy Line to Canary Wharf in 7 minsmins I think. 14 mins to Liverpool Street.

Too far out it ain’t.
    When was the last time you were there ?
  • Options

SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Absolute shit hole! Sorry if you live live there but proper gentrification will never happen..Too far out!

DLR and Crossrail have and will make a huge difference. DLR to Canary Wharf in 15 mins and Elizabeth Line to Bond Street in 21 and Lizzy Line to Canary Wharf in 7 minsmins I think.

Too far out it ain’t.
    1984 I like to walk where I need to be.
    I went to France in 1762. Place is a shithole and nobody spoke English.
    That’s a shame - I was there a couple of years later and the improvements made the place almost unrecognisable.

• Options
    SE23 said:

SE23 said:

SE23 said:

DLR and Crossrail have and will make a huge difference. DLR to Canary Wharf in 15 mins and Elizabeth Line to Bond Street in 21 and Lizzy Line to Canary Wharf in 7 minsmins I think.

Too far out it ain’t.
    Moved to Munich 6 years ago.... Live in city center in a flat twice the the size and half the price of being in Woolwich or Forest Hill....
    Tricky commute to central London though I would imagine.

• Options
    Do you have to visit a place before describing it as a shithole?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Do you have to visit a place before describing it as a shithole?

Yes and no.

The last time I saw the abject poverty in Mombassa was nearly 20 years ago - I can't imagine it's changed for the better in that time.

The last time I was in Woolwich was 20 years ago and it wasn't good - the last time I lived in the area was nearly 30 years ago and it was going downhill then, but during my childhood and teenage years it was a good place to live. However we are not talking about Africa, we are talking about a town within the capital city of the UK. The whole country has changed in the last 30 years - some for the better, and some for the worse. I would rather take the eye witness accounts of people who live there now as accurate than my recollection of 30 years ago.
    The trouble with living in SE London is people invariably insist on telling you it's a shithole despite probably never having been there or their last visit being thirty years ago. My own personal favourite is people telling me 'I'd never live here'.

I remember being told once by someone I worked with that there wasn't much to do in SE London and it didn't have much history. I gave them a brief five minute history/culture lecture about the area and they went a bit quiet.

It's always the ignorant who are desperate to share their ignorance.
  • Options
    SE23 said:

SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Too far out it ain’t.
    Moved to Munich 6 years ago.... Live in city center in a flat twice the the size and half the price of being in Woolwich or Forest Hill....
    Now Munchen is a shithole.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Too far out it ain’t.
    That’s a shame - I was there a couple of years later and the improvements made the place almost unrecognisable.

I hear they are even starting to replace the hole in the ground with proper bogs now.
  • Options
    I can confirm that Woolwich is still a shithole
  • Options

I can confirm that Woolwich is still a shithole

Where do you live as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    I grew up in Plumstead, now live in Charlton and still like Woolwich and Plumstead,places change but still like walking around the area.
  • Options
    Have any of the haters tried Public, open mike nights at The Equitable, Con Gusto, Viet Baguette??

Woolwich has changed a lot since I was a kid, and still has a way to go, but there’s plenty of new experiences and the DLR & especially Crossrail at the end of the year will make it even more accessible, just 8 minutes to Canary Wharf (work for me), 12 to Liverpool St and 20 to the West End.

The flats I grew up in in Simmons Road have been replaced by ones which look far better. The regeneration plans for the blocks at the front of the road and by the Station will only enhance it further.
  • Options
    Con Gusto is great, although it screams gentrification

The Equitable is probably my favourite pub this side of Greenwich
  • Options
    It’s only little @Leuth...hardly a screamer :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also frequent the Coffee Lounge, and there's a nice new arts cafe on the high street. WELCOME, HIPSTERS
  • Options
    Really like Public and the Equitable. Does the Equitable ever get busy though? All three times I've been there have been very quiet, twice on Saturday nights.
  • Options
    I took the family to Public on Saturday and, like the Model Market in Lewisham, I would recommend it very much. Loads of choice for food, three separate bars, a free soft play area for the kids (which is marshalled) and a very friendly atmosphere from punters and staff alike. We all had a great afternoon / evening.

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

Have any of the haters tried Public, open mike nights at The Equitable, Con Gusto, Viet Baguette??

Woolwich has changed a lot since I was a kid, and still has a way to go, but there’s plenty of new experiences and the DLR & especially Crossrail at the end of the year will make it even more accessible, just 8 minutes to Canary Wharf (work for me), 12 to Liverpool St and 20 to the West End.

The flats I grew up in in Simmons Road have been replaced by ones which look far better. The regeneration plans for the blocks at the front of the road and by the Station will only enhance it further.

That's not to mention the taproom,blue nile, KK's Grill, Dial arch. I've purposefully left out the new steakyard following a review on here yesterday, so I will give it a bit longer before making a final judgement but overall there is plenty to enjoy, and even some of the old haunts are still worth a shout.

As you say the regeneration looks likely to help the place out. There is so much to look forward to, the spray st quarter will be massive.
    British land have recently thrown an obscene amount of money at the retail properties along the high street. New gym,cinema,schools,homes, hotels, A multi-million pound art hub in the Arsenal, it's all going on.
    The riverside developments are coming along quickly whilst the Berkeley land grab may not be popular with everyone it has to be said that it looks impressive so far. Those newer units may incorporate more bars and restaurants on the ground levels too.
    The Thames pathway along towards Charlton is currently being done so that a path is cleared to enable pedestrians to pass right through to Thames side studios, if you like that sort of thing. If not there are a couple of brilliant little cafes there.

And all of that in a place with DLR,National rail,Clipper,Buses that venture to all corners and as you say forthcoming Elizabeth line.
    Surely there are not many better connected parts of London.