Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    Howells said:

TelMc32 said:

Have any of the haters tried Public, open mike nights at The Equitable, Con Gusto, Viet Baguette??

Woolwich has changed a lot since I was a kid, and still has a way to go, but there’s plenty of new experiences and the DLR & especially Crossrail at the end of the year will make it even more accessible, just 8 minutes to Canary Wharf (work for me), 12 to Liverpool St and 20 to the West End.

The flats I grew up in in Simmons Road have been replaced by ones which look far better. The regeneration plans for the blocks at the front of the road and by the Station will only enhance it further.

That's not to mention the taproom,blue nile, KK's Grill, Dial arch. I've purposefully left out the new steakyard following a review on here yesterday, so I will give it a bit longer before making a final judgement but overall there is plenty to enjoy, and even some of the old haunts are still worth a shout.

As you say the regeneration looks likely to help the place out. There is so much to look forward to, the spray st quarter will be massive.
    British land have recently thrown an obscene amount of money at the retail properties along the high street. New gym,cinema,schools,homes, hotels, A multi-million pound art hub in the Arsenal, it's all going on.
    The riverside developments are coming along quickly whilst the Berkeley land grab may not be popular with everyone it has to be said that it looks impressive so far. Those newer units may incorporate more bars and restaurants on the ground levels too.
    The Thames pathway along towards Charlton is currently being done so that a path is cleared to enable pedestrians to pass right through to Thames side studios, if you like that sort of thing. If not there are a couple of brilliant little cafes there.

And all of that in a place with DLR,National rail,Clipper,Buses that venture to all corners and as you say forthcoming Elizabeth line.
    Surely there are not many better connected parts of London.
    You've convinced me - I'm coming home!
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Really like Public and the Equitable. Does the Equitable ever get busy though? All three times I've been there have been very quiet, twice on Saturday nights.

Popped in on the day of the Rotherham game. It's perfect for a pre match drink, if you really like your own company that is. Two other people in there and one of those was the bloke behind the bar.

Very handy though.

• Options

Do you have to visit a place before describing it as a shithole?

No, usually there is a sign outside that gives you a clue before you visit it...such as ‘Toilet’ or whether the facility is designated for use by men or women...hope that helps
  • Options
    Despite all the new places, I’d still rather have a beer in the Elephant, Beresford Square
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I've just bought a place in Thamesmead West (much closer to Plumstead and Woolwich, than actual Thamesmead itself), so have been spending some time in the area.

Woolwich is definitely on the up. When that Crossrail comes in you will see a completely different town, which many would love to live in.

So you managed to finally snag one then! Well done.

• Options

cafctom said:

I've just bought a place in Thamesmead West (much closer to Plumstead and Woolwich, than actual Thamesmead itself), so have been spending some time in the area.

Woolwich is definitely on the up. When that Crossrail comes in you will see a completely different town, which many would love to live in.

Woolwich has been run down for a long time and it's good to see investment coming into the area. The only trouble is as with many areas is that this will not benefit everyone.

I like Woolwich(I realise I'm in a minority) and hope that the area thrives.
    I, also, like Woolwich.

The redevelopment I'm not sure about though. The buildings going up look awful and I fear it's just a speculators market for the flats.

Although getting a cinema in the Spray Street complex will be good.

Just hope Plumstead keeps as much of it's character (and characters) as possible.
  • Options
    iainment said:

cafctom said:

Woolwich has been run down for a long time and it's good to see investment coming into the area. The only trouble is as with many areas is that this will not benefit everyone.

I like Woolwich(I realise I'm in a minority) and hope that the area thrives.
    I, also, like Woolwich.

The redevelopment I'm not sure about though. The buildings going up look awful and I fear it's just a speculators market for the flats.

Although getting a cinema in the Spray Street complex will be good.

Just hope Plumstead keeps as much of it's character (and characters) as possible.
    Had a look at one of the developments the other day - the Academy - and some of the apartments look stunning. Just about 200 yards from where I was born!! I could certainly see us living there.

Coolwich eh? Who would have thought it??
  • Options
    There is a house on the market for 1.2 million... on Herbert Road.

If I'm honest, if I had 1.2 mill to spend on a house it wouldn't be in bloody Herbert road. The world has gone mad. bloody nice though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

There is a house on the market for 1.2 million... on Herbert Road.

If I'm honest, if I had 1.2 mill to spend on a house it wouldn't be in bloody Herbert road. The world has gone mad. bloody nice though.

Yes does look really nice. There's also one for the same price on Shooters Hill which looks very cool.

Prices in London are just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Yes I've seen that one too. Lovely.
  • Options
    I looked online at the Herbert Road house. Couldn't see how it's £1.2m.
    I don't think I could live on Herbert Road as it's too busy for me.
    For that money I'd get a house in Plumstead and one abroad.
    Housing prices in Woolwich and Plumstead are a bit nuts at the moment. They seem to be bucking the trend of London prices going down.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I looked online at the Herbert Road house. Couldn't see how it's £1.2m.
    I don't think I could live on Herbert Road as it's too busy for me.
    For that money I'd get a house in Plumstead and one abroad.
    Housing prices in Woolwich and Plumstead are a bit nuts at the moment. They seem to be bucking the trend of London prices going down.

They were a lot lower than the rest of London and are just catching up.

A lot of the new developments will be poor quality - some developers don't seem to care. Planning in Greenwich is generally poorly thought out with little regard for infrastructure.

• Options
    I'm having a few beers in Woolwich this Friday. Will start in The Bull, then likely to pop into The Equitable, Roses, Dial Arch, Tap Room and see what's going on in the covered market.
  • Options

I'm having a few beers in Woolwich this Friday. Will start in The Bull, then likely to pop into The Equitable, Roses, Dial Arch, Tap Room and see what's going on in the covered market.

Careful on your way into the Covered Market after visiting that lot @Plumstead_Micky!! The entrance, round the back in Spray Street could do with a bit of decent paving!! :smiley:
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Careful on your way into the Covered Market after visiting that lot @Plumstead_Micky!! The entrance, round the back in Spray Street could do with a bit of decent paving!! :smiley:
    I went to have a "nose" the other day, during the day. It appeared to be shut and the "entrance" looked like walking through a dump.
  • Options

The Market's only open 17.00-24.00 on Fridays and 12.00-24.00 on Saturdays.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

I went to have a "nose" the other day, during the day. It appeared to be shut and the "entrance" looked like walking through a dump.
    It does rather. They had big barrels with wood burning outside at the door back in March when I went. Someone was cooking their fish above on a little stove outside too. I felt it added to the overall experience. :-)

Don't forget the Guardhouse in the Arsenal Micky.. its well posh.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

TelMc32 said:

It does rather. They had big barrels with wood burning outside at the door back in March when I went. Someone was cooking their fish above on a little stove outside too. I felt it added to the overall experience. :-)

Don't forget the Guardhouse in the Arsenal Micky.. its well posh.

Not been in there B - will add to the list...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another stabbing this evening near Beresford Square at around 17.00,after a 'mass brawl',one person arrested.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44045945
  • Options
    I don’t know why but I thought that the ferries were due to be cancelled. Something to do with the justification for the new new black wall tunnel from the A102 to the A13
  • Options
    Great childhood memories of the ferry but it looked like this the last time I used it!!

Coincidently, my Robert collected the tickets for Sunday at The Valley this morning and went back to Stratford via the Woolwich Ferry - his first trip on it!
  • Options

I don’t know why but I thought that the ferries were due to be cancelled. Something to do with the justification for the new new black wall tunnel from the A102 to the A13

Could be wrong here but I think that the ferries are by royal charter which would mean a change to the law and time given over to the abolition in the House of Commons. Cheaper and less hassle to keep them running.

• Options

The Silvertown Tunnel has been approved, in connection with which the WFF and Blackwall Tunnel may be tolled :
    http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/05/10/silvertown-tunnel-approved-a-quick-look/
  • Options

The Silvertown Tunnel has been approved, in connection with which the WFF and Blackwall Tunnel may be tolled :
    http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/05/10/silvertown-tunnel-approved-a-quick-look/

Greenwich council at it again... unreal
  • Options
    edited May 2018

So there’s no road crossing over the Thames in the 16 miles between Blackwall Tunnel and Dartford, and yet they’ve decided to spend millions of pounds building a tunnel right next to Blackwall Tunnel. Unbelievable.