Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    Any school day in Woolwich there are groups of students all over the town centre with older males. I wonder if they are grooming/recruiting for gangs.

After the recent murder 3 knives were found at the scene. This is suggests that it was premeditated.
  • Options
    A mate of mine who has lived in Cornwall for the past 25 years recently visited Woolwich for the first time since leaving. In his words ‘ I’ve never felt so uncomfortable & more at risk ever, never coming back! ‘  Not the area we both grew up in! 
  • Options
    About 10-12 years ago there was a large, dedicated Safer Transport Team (STT) based at Woolwich nick. They would cover all of Greenwich Borough but would always be stationed at the Woolwich Arsenal transport hub bus stops, when schools kicked out and into the rush hour.
    The number of stop & searches undertaken was high as was the number of weapons seized.
    I live away from London now but I guess that team is no more and that there’s a much smaller Police presence there now.
  • Options
    I’ve just seen the family of the murdered boy at the the scene. Such dignity in their grief. 
  • Options
    A mate of mine who has lived in Cornwall for the past 25 years recently visited Woolwich for the first time since leaving. In his words ‘ I’ve never felt so uncomfortable & more at risk ever, never coming back! ‘  Not the area we both grew up in! 
    Did he think it wouldn't have changed in the last 25 years? 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I’ve just seen the family of the murdered boy at the the scene. Such dignity in their grief. 
    I can't imagine how they are feeling...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Don't stay in London often, but i stayed in Woolwich last weekend (Travelodge) when i was catching up with some old Charlton buddies whom i hadn't seen for nigh on 15 months.

Before i went out for the afternoon/evening as i was going to be home late, i only took out enough money for the day and left my train pass and phone and wallet in the room before i went out. mainly due to the dodgy looking characters hanging about Powis Street during the day.

Sad times when you have to think and act accordingly.
    A proper Charlton William Wallace moment.

"You can take our cash - but you'll never take our Train Pass!"
  • Options
    Don't stay in London often, but i stayed in Woolwich last weekend (Travelodge) when i was catching up with some old Charlton buddies whom i hadn't seen for nigh on 15 months.

Before i went out for the afternoon/evening as i was going to be home late, i only took out enough money for the day and left my train pass and phone and wallet in the room before i went out. mainly due to the dodgy looking characters hanging about Powis Street during the day.

I hope Chippy avoids Croydon - crime figures there are far worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The tape/tent is down now. Just walked down that street about an hour ago, and saw all of the flowers. Very sad.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The tape/tent is down now. Just walked down that street about an hour ago, and saw all of the flowers. Very sad.
    Such a waste of life.
  • Options
    Did he think it wouldn't have changed in the last 25 years? 
    Cornwall hasn't to be fair!
  • Options

Train pass was to ensure i got home seeing as i travelled over 80 miles to be there. As a good Samaritan i am sure you wouldn't have been around to offer your services to give me a lift home.
  • Options

I do, much better class of people out here in the sticks too.
  • Options

Two more teenage boys have been arrested on suspicion of murder over the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old in south-east London.

Tamim Ian Habimana was killed by a single stab wound on Woolwich New Road, Woolwich, on Monday.

Two boys aged 14 and 15 were arrested on suspicion of murder on Friday. A 15-year-old was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57788287

• Options

I do, much better class of people out here in the sticks too.
    Obviously if you're there.😁
  • Options
    14 and 15 !!! Ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    I regularly cycle through Woolwich, shop in Woolwich and use the cafes in and around Powis St. It seems the same to me as most of inner London. I don’t feel afraid to be there at all. 
    I’ve known Woolwich for decades and it’s never been a place I’ve been worried about my safety.
    The constant negativity by some on here about Woolwich does get a bit tedious. Woolwich is like many inner city areas as far as I can see - I never feel particularly worried when I'm there.

Woolwich is fine much of the time until school students arrive mid afternoon. The same is true of Bexleyheath and many other towns.

The real problems owe much to Greenwich Council for using shops as offices for too many years, then accepting a new Civic Centre from Tesco in return for a large store that wrecked the trade of other shops in Powis Street and Hare Street and finally allowing the retail park at Charlton to grow significantly.

Insisting on retail units under housing units away from the shopping streets is plain stupid. They've now agreed a school can go into one next to the Town Hall with no outside space for the kids.

A decent retail development is needed. Not just big stores but better premises. They're can't be many town centres where the Starbucks has closed.

• Options
    I can't see why the above means 14/15 year olds go round murdering each other.
    There's not massive retail development in much of Cornwall for example, but I've not heard that the local kids go round murdering each other.
  • Options
    Many times the council have been responsible for some shocking decision. 
    Always feel ok in Woolwich, but i am a "big old boy" with an old "f@^k  off  face!
    Mrs feel uncomfortable during the afternoons in Woolwich, Most times the kids are noisy and boisterous but generally good natured, but 1or 2 turn up who look like trouble.
  • Options
    I’ve never felt uncomfortable in Woolwich during daylight hours but on the odd occasions I’ve got off the train or DLR there at night then it’s not quite the same feeling. I suppose that’s the same in pretty much every town centre after dark. 
  • Options
    There's not massive retail development in much of Cornwall for example, but I've not heard that the local kids go round murdering each other.
    Mainly because there is no scope for jobs locally for school leavers. Many of the premises are currently bookies and charity shops.

I was in Lower Edmonton earlier in the week. Similar in many ways to Woolwich but it has a thriving shopping centre incorporating a lot of market stalls.
  • Options
    Not quite sure what you're getting at. I don't think an m and s store being there will stop knife crime involving 14 year olds. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Mainly because there is no scope for jobs locally for school leavers. Many of the premises are currently bookies and charity shops.

I was in Lower Edmonton earlier in the week. Similar in many ways to Woolwich but it has a thriving shopping centre incorporating a lot of market stalls.
    None of which gives any explanation as to why school age kids are murdering each other.

Do people seriously think a few nicer shops would make these kids give up the gangsta lifestyle, or would it just give them somewhere else to rob?

One of the poorest, most deprived and under-represented communities in London is the Bangladeshi community in Tower Hamlets. Sure, they have lots of problems, but you don't hear of their kids constantly murdering each other. I've no idea why that is,  but it isn't because they have more nice shops.
    Tower Hamlets has loads of knife crime and has it's fair share of murders. This was from a patrol just the other day
  • Options
    Is one of those knifes wrapped in foil? Pretty smart, gets rid of finger prints. With that level of intelligence they will easily get a job in marks.