Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    I took this in September. Looks like it’s a popular shot for Lifers!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Thanks all, I was hoping that some commitment to restore her would have been made, what with the her illustrious past and  connection to Liverpool and the Merseybeat. Looks like it's all too late for that alas  :/.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Royal_Iris
  • Options
    Today.

• Options
    Another couple of snippets,

The ferries Iris and Daffodil, built in 1906, took part in the top secret attack on Zeebrugge, Belgium, on April 23, 1918, which aimed to prevent German U-boats from attacking Allied shipping in the English Channel and the south west approaches to the UK.

The raid involved over 75 ships and submarines - and the ferries were used because they could carry large numbers of Marines and sailors in shallow waters.

Both Iris and Daffodil sustained significant damage in the raid but both managed to return home – although Iris had been hit by numerous shells and just about limped back.

It was for their heroic service that both ferries – and their successors – were awarded the "Royal" designation.

Newspaper stories from the time describe how the ferries were given a heroes' return on May 17, with huge cheering crowds and wounded veterans lining the banks of the Mersey.

According to history website findmypast, the ECHO reported: "The Iris was the worst damaged of the two, as her pierced sides, deck and funnel plainly show.

"Forty-nine men were killed by the explosion of one shell, while no fewer than 68 members of the crew in all were killed.

"A laurel wreath on the shattered bridge indicated where the officer in command, Captain Francis Gibb, 'carried on' after having been mortally wounded, his left leg having been blown away.

"He died later in the sick-bay in the cabin temporarily converted into a hospital.

"Only one life was lost on the Daffodil, which, by reason of her position alongside the Mole at Zeebrugge, escaped very serious damage from gunfire."

The two vessels were tasked with landing over 1500 Royal Marines on the Zeebrugge Mole, a large sea defence wall.

Both had served as ferries between Liverpool and Wallasey since 1906 - but the mission required them to travel long distances in open water for the very first time.

They travelled first to Portsmouth where they had their furniture removed and armour plates fitted. They were also painted grey and were given the title "HMS".

During the raid, the ferries' roles were to land the demolition parties who were tasked with blowing up the German defences.

The raid succeeded destroying a number of targets and temporarily blocked the entrance to the U-boat base.

Since the early 1920s – with the exception of the war years – a commemoration service has been held aboard a Wallasey ferry on the Sunday closest to St George's Day.

• Options
    In happier times.

Live: Riverboat Shuffle, MV Royal Iris, River Mersey

Friday 10 August 1962  Live  No Comments

Last updated: 9 September 2012

This was the third of four appearance by The Beatles aboard the MV Royal Iris, a River Mersey ferry commonly known as The Fish And Chip Boat.

The events, known as Riverboat Shuffles, were put on by Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club. A variety of entertainers normally appeared, to attract the widest possible audiences.

On this occasion The Beatles were second on the bill to headliners Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Also appearing were Pete Maclaine and the Dakotas, an instrumental group from Manchester.

The Riverboat Shuffles began and ended at the Pier Head, Liverpool. Other such events at which The Beatles played took place on 25 August 1961, and 6 July and 28 September 1962.

• Options
    clive said:
    Christ! Another blight on dear old Woolwich.
    When I was a kid I was proud to come from Woolwich - I mean, it was never exactly genteel even in the 1950's but it had something about it.
    I had 2 uncles who used to work at Siemens, would clock off a Saturday morning shift and go to the Valley.
    Another uncle was stationed in the barracks, and my Nan worked as a cleaner in the Woolwich Equitable Building.
    I remember as a kid being pleased as Punch when the Dandy comic featured Woolwich in their "My Home Town" page.
    MacDonald's opened their first UK takeaway in Woolwich because they considered it "a typical, normal English town".
    Hustling, bustling markets, Department stores, ornately architectured cinemas.
    Rose tinted specs for sure, there were always rough elements, but now it seems to be all scummy, without the good bits.
    Ho hum!
  • Options
    S35 Dispersal Notice in force now until Friday. The square has also been cordoned off. Batman and Robin spotted on top of the Town Hall building.
  • Options
    clive said:
    When I was a kid I was proud to come from Woolwich - I mean, it was never exactly genteel even in the 1950's but it had something about it.
    I had 2 uncles who used to work at Siemens, would clock off a Saturday morning shift and go to the Valley.
    Another uncle was stationed in the barracks, and my Nan worked as a cleaner in the Woolwich Equitable Building.
    I remember as a kid being pleased as Punch when the Dandy comic featured Woolwich in their "My Home Town" page.
    MacDonald's opened their first UK takeaway in Woolwich because they considered it "a typical, normal English town".
    Rose tinted specs for sure, there were always rough elements, but now it seems to be all scummy, without the good bits.
    Ho hum!

That's the Woolwich I remember growing up in the 60s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    Ho hum!

Me too Bob, born and bred in Woolwich and we are the same age. Sadly a shadow of its former self. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    Ho hum!

Me too Bob, born and bred in Woolwich and we are the same age. Sadly a shadow of its former self. 
    Was in Woolwich town centre yesterday for the first time in probably over 35 years, Christ on a bike, what a dump it has become. 
  • Options
    ...become???
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    Ho hum!

Born and bred in Greenhithe but mum and dad were both from SE London and used to take me up to Woolwich (and Lewisham for that matter), seemed like a real treat back then and a nice change from going to either Dartford or Gravesend.
  • Options
    Born Woolwich 1965.
    lived in Charlton until 1980.
    loved everything about it.
    Have visited Woolwich for about 
    20 years. Can’t believe how much it’s 
    changed by reading these comments 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The Dandy August 1963

A tunnel from Eltham Palace to Greenwich Park?

And come on, Roger.  You could have had the complete cowboy outfit.
  • Options
    woolwich has always seen better days since i've been around but was THE place back in the day - other than the historic importance, i'm told by family that in the 50 / 60's, if u couldn't buy it in Woolwich, you're only chance was Oxford Street - a sad decline followed however, mirroring the decline of the local docks and factories - and its football team !! 
  • Options
    I was walking through the firework-throwing nonsense last Sunday! One went off about five yards from me and my girlfriend. Teens were screaming and running everywhere. A police van pulled up. Another firework struck a building in front of us. It was like a warzone! We calmly walked up Wellington St and weren't bothered after that, but it did seem pretty rum 
  • Options
    clive said:

" ... and if your recognise ..."?

Don't people poof-read these things?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I was walking through the firework-throwing nonsense last Sunday! One went off about five yards from me and my girlfriend. Teens were screaming and running everywhere. A police van pulled up. Another firework struck a building in front of us. It was like a warzone! We calmly walked up Wellington St and weren't bothered after that, but it did seem pretty rum 
    Don't fuck with @Leuth
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Woolwich makes Kabul seem like Beverley Hills. 
  • Options
    Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 
  • Options
    Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

I stated humming 'The Wombles of Wimbledon Common' when reading that!

I hope you're right - my home town could do with a break, although having said that it's a recipe for pricing born and bred out of the housing market.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I hope you're right - my home town could do with a break, although having said that it's a recipe for pricing born and bred out of the housing market.
    I did when I was writing it 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

yea, can see it being next on the list for hipsterization
  • Options
    Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through fireworks throw from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Curb_It said:
    You can go and see Mica Paris this month in the new Woolwich works.  

https://www.woolwich.works/events/mica-paris

A list of Christmas entertainment there.

https://www.woolwich.works/whats-on/category/christmas-1

Stop in the beautiful Guardhouse for a beer or three on your way.  My favourite pub in the area.  It is a Youngs but very nice.  I love sitting in the big red leather armchairs in the winter.

Tempted... probably not.  But there is some good stuff going on there.  

Guard house? Dial arch you mean
    edit: never seen the guard house, just googled it and its next to dial arch. So woolwich has 2 youngs pubs..
  • Options
    Yes. The Guardhouse is at the gates as you enter the Arsenal on the left. It has been open a good few years now. 

Yes Woolwich has two Young’s, compared to the 5 in Greenwich!