Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff Utd | Sat Nov 26 | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sheffield United
Saturday 26th November 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Scott (Oxfordshire)

Introduction

Could it be that the Addicks are finally rolling into gear and form? On basis of recent results (minus the defeat against Swindon Town) you’d certainly think so as at present Charlton have only lost one game per month this season. From our last seven league fixtures, four of them have resulted in victory whilst the five goals scored against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night resulted in our highest away in since 2013.

Of course it’s not as simple as winning games at present; we’re still paying for our sluggish and defensive start to the season and there is a lot of catching up to do (just to get into the play-offs alone)… This Saturday sees us play hosts to the form team in the League who might be, just finally might be coming good.

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield United | Manager: Chris Wilder
Ground: Bramall Lane

When Charlton won the League title in 2012, many expected Sheffield United to join us back in the second tier… that wasn’t to be and over the last four years, the Blades have proven just how tough it is getting out of this Division. It’s not been lack of trying that’s for sure, on three occasions they’ve finished in the Play-Offs yet the fact Sheffield United are a big name, with big attendances mean nothing in Football and with every season has come failure.

Five Managers have tried (including big Football League names like Nigel Clough and Nigel Adkins) yet in the summer the owners decided to change it once more and in doing so stole a potential Manager of our own from under our noses. The results weren’t great to begin with and three defeats in the first four games saw the Blades rock bottom of the table. Since that result against Millwall though they haven’t looked back, only three draws have stopped them picking up maximum points… Sheffield United are on a charge!!

Charlton Team News
In all honesty how can you drop any one of the players who played a part of our 5-1 victory over Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night, the most obvious name would be seeing Declan Rudd returning from a hip issue yet should he still not be fit them Dillon Phillips will no doubt make his Valley League Debut.

In addition Adam Chicksen made his first start on Tuesday night, following that up with a goal… Should he too reclaim his place then Johnnie Jackson will no doubt be confined to the bench once more and with Chris Solly now long term injured, captain duties will now fall to Andrew Crofts.

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Lookman | Crofts | Ulvestad | Chicksen
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Konsa | Lennon | Teixeira | Jackson | Novak | Hanlan

Prediction
Out of all the teams to visit Charlton this season I feel as though the Champions of the League are yet to visit, that could potentially happen this weekend… A win would be fantastic and would send a strong message to the rest of the League whilst a draw shouldn’t be frowned upon either and is something I’m sure that both teams will be happy with.

Referee Watch
Graham Scott has taken charge of just eleven games this season with two of those games coming in the Premier League… One red card has been issued whilst 38-yellows have been shown… You have to go back to the 2014/15 season when he last officiated a Charlton game, that coming in a 3-0 win over Brentford.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Blunt Sharp and blunt the Blades ...

unchanged from Bristol as per @ForeverAddickted ..
    IF IF Robinson takes over, I hope that the team performs as well for him as it has for Nugent (the New Gent)

CAFC 2 v Sheffield United 0
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0
  • Options
    The floodgates are open!

6-0 home win
  • Options
    3-0 win like the last time this ref took one of our games.

Robinson watching from the stands.

KM surprised protests are continuing.

Just as many Blades as Addicks to welcome our new manager.
  • Options
    This is a test; we have had the no manager boune lets see know if we can have the new manager bounce. Sheffield United are no walkovers we all know that but there last two games they have struggled to break down 9 men. The team have got to have some confidence behing them now. Charlton win 3-1
  • Options
    1-1 with the protests winning
  • Options
    Tough game for us, but they will be thinking the same thing. 2-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    2-1 Addicks.
  • Options
    United struggled recently only beating 9-man Shrewsbury 2-1 and 9-man Bury 1-0 respectively. Positive vibes around the club with the last 2 results and the hopeful appointment of Robinson. United are second in the league. Maybe a high scoring draw. 2-2. Hope we may nick it.
  • Options
    A nervy 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a dream... No not that one. I had a dream about this game. They dominated the game but we managed to keep the ball out, sometimes barely, then we lost to a solitary goal right near the end. So, sadly I must predict a 0-1 loss.
  • Options
    1-0 to us then hopefully robinson wants to beat mk dons next saturday
  • Options
    Unless Rudd is miraculously fit then you have to go with the same XI. Been a lot of talk in the past week about how we've turned a corner and this will be a great test to see if we actually have.
  • Options
    Very excited to be at The Valley this Saturday, primarily because it will enable me to continue my proud record of having been present at the dawn of every new era since Screaming Lord Roland arrived at dispatched his staff to The Valley in January 2014.

Tough opponents this weekend though, so Karl Robinson has understandably opted to implement the Luzon Protocol, enabling him to take all the credit for a positive result or be absolved of all blame if we get beaten because he's not actually in charge of the team until the following Saturday.

I think we'll raise our game and get a draw out of this, with the Charlton players conscious of the fact that a good performance on Saturday can not only secure their place in Karl Robinson's plans, but also put them in a strong position to feature in Chris O'Loughlin's side for his first game in charge away to Peterborough next April.

1-1, Magennis with the goal.
  • Options
    Can't believe no one has said it already. Sheffield United will come good.

0 - 2
  • Options
    edited November 2016

and with Chris Solly now long term injured, captain duties will now fall to Andrew Crofts.

Jesus fuck. How does he do it? Ever-present, taking the armband, and yet to pass a ball beyond the halfway line. The bloke's a warlock

I believe he was the captain at Bristol R .. not too shabby a start
    Correct... Which is where I got my line from... It not always guess work that goes into my Previews, every so often (once in a blue moon most like) I'll pull a proper fact out of the bag ;)

Also took over the armband when Jackson was subbed v Port Vale
  • Options
    Can't see past a Sheffield United win................."you fill up my senses like a packet of......................" :smile:
  • Options

and with Chris Solly now long term injured, captain duties will now fall to Andrew Crofts.

Jesus fuck. How does he do it? Ever-present, taking the armband, and yet to pass a ball beyond the halfway line. The bloke's a warlock

Correct... Which is where I got my line from... It not always guess work that goes into my Previews, every so often (once in a blue moon most like) I'll pull a proper fact out of the bag ;)

so .. in future I must read EVERY single word of your massive missives ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This could truly define our season on the pitch; missing our star player in Ricky Holmes against a rampant side finally seeming to 'come good'. However, our team is not too shabby when given freedom to play as we've shown in our last two games; Magennis will never stop running, Ajose has finally found his feet and in Ademola Lookman we have one of the few players in the division who can provide a real flash of absolute quality. Our defence is very solid. The thing about Sheffield United is they like to have a lot of shots; Dillon Phillips will have to be on his toes if called upon again. Would be very harsh to change the team from Tuesday but I reckon Nugent may bring Jacko back in, a calm head on the field for what is likely to be a high charged match. They have scraped past nine men twice in the last week; Saturday is when they lose.

Charlton 3 Sheffield United 1, one each for Magennis, Ajose and Jackson

COYR
  • Options
    Nice finish for Kevin Nugent 2-1 Charlton
  • Options

so .. in future I must read EVERY single word of your massive missives ((:>)
    Hell no... Wouldnt want the thought of comatosing someone on my conscience
  • Options

Introduction

Could it be that the Addicks are finally rolling into gear and form? On basis of recent results (minus the defeat against Swindon Town) you’d certainly think so as at present Charlton have only lost one game per month this season. From our last seven league fixtures, four of them have resulted in victory whilst the five goals scored against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night resulted in our highest away in since 2013.

Of course it’s not as simple as winning games at present; we’re still paying for our sluggish and defensive start to the season and there is a lot of catching up to do (just to get into the play-offs alone)… This Saturday sees us play hosts to the form team in the League who might be, just finally might be coming good.

The Opposition

When Charlton won the League title in 2012, many expected Sheffield United to join us back in the second tier… that wasn’t to be and over the last four years, the Blades have proven just how tough it is getting out of this Division. It’s not been lack of trying that’s for sure, on three occasions they’ve finished in the Play-Offs yet the fact Sheffield United are a big name, with big attendances mean nothing in Football and with every season has come failure.

Five Managers have tried (including big Football League names like Nigel Clough and Nigel Adkins) yet in the summer the owners decided to change it once more and in doing so stole a potential Manager of our own from under our noses. The results weren’t great to begin with and three defeats in the first four games saw the Blades rock bottom of the table. Since that result against Millwall though they haven’t looked back, only three draws have stopped them picking up maximum points… Sheffield United are on a charge!!

Charlton Team News
    In all honesty how can you drop any one of the players who played a part of our 5-1 victory over Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night, the most obvious name would be seeing Declan Rudd returning from a hip issue yet should he still not be fit them Dillon Phillips will no doubt make his Valley League Debut.

In addition Adam Chicksen made his first start on Tuesday night, following that up with a goal… Should he too reclaim his place then Johnnie Jackson will no doubt be confined to the bench once more and with Chris Solly now long term injured, captain duties will now fall to Andrew Crofts.

Phillips
    Magennis | Ajose

Prediction
    Out of all the teams to visit Charlton this season I feel as though the Champions of the League are yet to visit, that could potentially happen this weekend… A win would be fantastic and would send a strong message to the rest of the League whilst a draw shouldn’t be frowned upon either and is something I’m sure that both teams will be happy with.

Referee Watch
    Graham Scott has taken charge of just eleven games this season with two of those games coming in the Premier League… One red card has been issued whilst 38-yellows have been shown… You have to go back to the 2014/15 season when he last officiated a Charlton game, that coming in a 3-0 win over Brentford.
    Surely Botaka as sub?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Magennis | Ajose

Prediction

Referee Watch
    Surely Botaka as sub?
    And Johnson
  • Options
    Would be nice to win, but fearful of the usual kick in the nuts. 3-1. Lookie, mag and ajose.
  • Options
    Charlton 0-4 Sheffield United

We're not about to get 3 wins on the trot honestly.
  • Options
    1-1

Lookman for us
    Jessica Ennis for them