Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jenson calls it a day

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38092740 Looks like Sunday will be his last. Maybe not one of the greats of all time, but a British great and comes across as a good bloke. Will miss that smooth driving style and his classy wet weather driving. Enjoy your retirement, maybe see him more on Top Gear.

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Very under rated as a Driver... apart from Brawn when he showed what he could do in a fast car he's not had the opportunity but his wins for Honda (the first @ Hungary) and then his wins for McLaren show what a good driver he was.

Formula One is on its last legs now as more and more paying drivers enter the sport, its only six drivers plus a few others who are taken seriously really now
  • Surely will move into F1 punditry, he's an absolute natural at it. Cut a pretty frustrated figure at McLaren for the past few years after a good/great career and a world championship, so no massive surprise I suppose.
  • Surely will move into F1 punditry, he's an absolute natural at it. Cut a pretty frustrated figure at McLaren for the past few years after a good/great career and a world championship, so no massive surprise I suppose.

If he isnt signed up by Sky Sports I'll be extremely surprised
  • edited November 2016
    Very few better drivers than him in the wet.
    Thoroughly deserved his championship title
  • Always seemed odd that he was going to sit out a year and potentially come back at 39 if Alonso decided to retire too. One of my favourite drivers even if he was a pretty infuriating one talent wise. When a car was suited for him he was utterly brilliant but it seemed if the slightest thing was wrong he would get beaten by his teammate.

Will be a big miss from the sport though with him and Massa being two of the most respected drivers on the grid leaving.

Formula One is on its last legs now as more and more paying drivers enter the sport, its only six drivers plus a few others who are taken seriously really now

Don't disagree that F1 is struggling but think it has nothing to do with the talent of the field. Think it's one of the strongest fields in history with Hamilton/Vettel/Lewis/Alonso/Ricciardo/Verstappen/Rosberg/Raikkonen/Hulkenberg/Perez/Grosjean/Button/Sainz. Think it used to be way more top heavy with a lot more shit filling up the spots at reasonable teams in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Alonso/Vettel/Lewis will be considered all time greats in a few years and who knows what Ricciardo and Verstappen could do.
  • *hit thought it was Claus.

Both smooth operators come to think of it.
  • One of the best drivers out there, particularly in the wet, he'll race again just not F1.
  • That win from last place was extraordinary.
  • Rob7Lee said:

One of the best drivers out there, particularly in the wet, he'll race again just not F1.

Fastnet Trophy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought Claus had gave up on life for a moment!
  • That win from last place was extraordinary.

2011 Canadian Grand Prix, in the wet, last to first. Lives long in the memory - unbelievable drive.
  • @addickfanatic might want to put Jenson Button as thread title....

Ps. Anyting with Claus calling it a day at this time of year, will send all the kids into meltdown!
  • As world champion chose to go to McLaren and although never a great qualifier over 3 seasons outscored his team mate, and no one not even the pundits thought that would happen.

More podiums and more points finishes in a period where McLaren were in decline.

Qualifying
    Faster qualifying time: Hamilton 44 / Button 14
    Poles: Hamilton 9 / Button 1
    Front rows: Hamilton: 23 / Button 9

Races
    Wins: Hamilton 10 / Button 8
    Podiums: Hamilton 22 / Button 25
    Points finishes: Hamilton 45 / Button 47

DNFs: Hamilton 13 / Button 8
    Best race result (inc DNFs): Hamilton 32 / Button 26
    Ahead in two-car finish: Hamilton 24 / Button 13

Championship
    Overall points: Hamilton 657 / Button 672
    Seasons finished higher in standings: Hamilton 2 / Button 1
    Highest championship placing: Hamilton 4th (2010, 2012) / Button 2nd (2011)
  • He's been teammates with Hamilton and Alonso, the two best drivers of this generation, and held his own with both. When the car was just how he liked it, he could beat anyone but his downfall seems to have been that he couldn't adapt as well to a less than ideal car as some of his competitors - Alonso for example seems to be able to extract almost the maximum out of any car he drives.

Always comes across a thoroughly nice chap as well so I hope he sticks around on the media somewhere a she is usually good value when interviewed etc.
  • Almost seems as if he's let his hair down since announcing he will be off next year.
    Some excellent radio messages.

As a driver I have no doubt he'd of won the title by now if he were driving the Mercedes.
  • As a driver I have no doubt he'd of won the title by now if he were driving the Mercedes.

He did just that with Brawn.
  • A very good driver, and an excellent ambassador for the sport. A rather curious end to his career, as he'll still be with McLaren and if one of their drivers is injured next season, could still be back in the car?
  • Gutted when he left for Fulham.
  • Glovepup said:

As a driver I have no doubt he'd of won the title by now if he were driving the Mercedes.

If he hadn't of left for McLaren he'd have been driving for Mercedes wouldn't he? (Ok maybe still not now). As it's the same team out of the Brackley base.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glovepup said:

If he hadn't of left for McLaren he'd have been driving for Mercedes wouldn't he? (Ok maybe still not now). As it's the same team out of the Brackley base.
    From what little I understand of formula 1 nowadays I make you right

I always rated him and liked listening to what he had to say. Took him ages to get a win then with the right car he walloped the title
  • Glovepup said:

Don't think you've got the point.

We're all well aware of his championship winning season with brawn.
    The point is that, given the current situation at Mercedes, had jenson been there then his level of driving and smoothness in the car would of seen him crowned champion by now.

Ted Kravitz said something very similar during FP3 yesterday.
  • Would he have been crowned champion over both Lewis and Rosberg?

I think he would have won at least won title in three years against either of them - and probably more versus Rosberg. Nico has been battered by Lewis (especially this year when his luck with reliability has pretty much won him a title). But as another poster said, Jenson compared better than most expected versus Lewis and I think in his prime he was quicker than Rosberg.
  • and for probably the last time

• I thought this thread would be about Claus Jenson not about bloomin' scalextric.
  • Retired from race on lap 13 due to a mechanical failure.
  • Like to see JB go well this weekend, although will probably start last with the engine change.
  • How nice will it be to have a weekend without Alonso and his whining!
  • Q3 is a good effort before his penalty, still if he could grab a point tomorrow that'd be great.
  • I have little time for Button. He always seems to be complaining when he doesn't do well and is a little too smug for my liking when he does well.

He, basically, had one good season in a car that was so much better than the rest that I would have finished second in most of those early races.

He is talking about coming back to have a fun time. Surely the sport should not be used for old timers to have a fun weekend?

Anyway he will no doubt fail to finish as those McLarens are shockingly crappy.