Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Jimmy Seed Sign

Comments

• Options
    Jimmys grandson is happy with it on Twitter

He came up with a design himself - don't know if it was just like this but it looks familiar
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

He came up with a design himself - don't know if it was just like this but it looks familiar

Didn't he walk away from this project due to the club using it as a PR stunt? Be interested to know if it was the design he approved @jdmotion ? If so fair enough.
  • Options
    If we ever get 3k of away fans for a league match in League One in November in Yorkshire 180 odd miles away then I'm a Scotsman
    Have we even sold out the 2k for millwall

I thought the sign looked decent
  • Options
    A great picture showing how away fans can ALL stand in the Jimmy Seed stand. I was at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday and had an opportunity to sit behind the goal or stand on the terrace.

It's about time fans had an opportunity to choose between a seat or safe standing, the FA need to take this on board, Why are the stewards in the Jimmy seed stand allowing the away fans to all stand up, what's the point of having a ground regulation in place when stewards won't do anything about it.
  • Options
    Cracking bit of stadium maintenance that. Delighted.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Didn't he walk away from this project due to the club using it as a PR stunt? Be interested to know if it was the design he approved @jdmotion ? If so fair enough.
    I did walk away.
    I'm happy with the design. The Twitter poll I ran voted for red text on white background, but the white on red looks fine. My mum would have been very happy with it, that's the main thing.

Olly told me they found a sponsor. Either:

1. It's the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
    2. They haven't added the sponsor's signs yet
    3. It's a sponsor who's waived publicity.

Happy with any of the above.
    Good to hear, glad it worked out for your family.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

I did walk away.
    I'm happy with the design. The Twitter poll I ran voted for red text on white background, but the white on red looks fine. My mum would have been very happy with it, that's the main thing.

Olly told me they found a sponsor. Either:

1. It's the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
    2. They haven't added the sponsor's signs yet
    3. It's a sponsor who's waived publicity.

Happy with any of the above.
    Glad to hear that mate
  • Options

If we ever get 3k of away fans for a league match in League One in November in Yorkshire 180 odd miles away then I'm a Scotsman

I'd put my mortgage on there being more Blades fans in London than Charlton fans in the Sheffield region.

• Options
    This looks ugly and unprofessional. Didn't anyone think it would be a good idea to choose the right shade of red?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One in six of the English population live in London. London away attendances are always relatively higher.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'd put my mortgage on there being more Blades fans in London than Charlton fans in the Sheffield region.

The fact is the away fans at The Valley will always be skewed by this. In a city of nearly 9 million people, there will always be fans of the other league clubs.

I wonder how many Charlton fans live in Fleetwood, or Scunthorpe, or Cheltenham?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Very Good. Although it does looks a bit wonky.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Addickted said:

The fact is the away fans at The Valley will always be skewed by this. In a city of nearly 9 million people, there will always be fans of the other league clubs.

I wonder how many Charlton fans live in Fleetwood, or Scunthorpe, or Cheltenham?
    Judging by the number of away coaches in Valley Grove, I don't think it skewed it too much. I don't remember seeing that many for years.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Well 5 years ago there would have been at least 2 more Charlton fans in Sheffield than now. I moved back home down here and my mate (who incidentally his dad is a childhood friend of our very own Richard Wiseman of the Trust) moved to America (lucky git).
    I also know quite a few blokes I used to work with came down for this game yesterday. Their home and away support is always huge, just like their neighbours and dirty Leeds.

Feels great to mug them off though at the death :wink:
  • Options
    Forgot to say about the sign, I have no idea why they didn't do this in the first place. Put a new sign up without any fuss and pats on the back.
  • Options
    Does look wonky but perhaps it's the roof though? That could maybe be cured rebuilding the stand... or perhaps putting the sign on in sections rather than one long piece.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

this is to do with it. I know a family of blades fans who were there yesterday and they all live in Brockley.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Very Good. Although it does looks a bit wonky.

Hadn't noticed that. Looked ok from Upper West.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

Addickted said:

Well 5 years ago there would have been at least 2 more Charlton fans in Sheffield than now. I moved back home down here and my mate (who incidentally his dad is a childhood friend of our very own Richard Wiseman of the Trust) moved to America (lucky git).
    I also know quite a few blokes I used to work with came down for this game yesterday. Their home and away support is always huge, just like their neighbours and dirty Leeds.

Feels great to mug them off though at the death :wink:
    I was on the Cannon St - Charlton train with my ten year old son, when a Sheffield fan came into our carriage looking for 'action'. I asked him how his journey was and commented that Utd are a decent side. He seemed disappointed that we were happier chatting, or gazing out of the window, but ended up trying to shake the hand of everyone in the carriage. Tommy declined a fist bump. Hats off Tom.
    I noted the absence of support for our cause, so was delighted with the equaliser. Karma.
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

Forgot to say about the sign, I have no idea why they didn't do this in the first place. Put a new sign up without any fuss and pats on the back.

Because pitch and the club were desperate for some "we're talking to fans, please like us" news stories and Target20k went along with it because it made them feel they'd done something.

Noteworthy that @jdmotion thanks the club, olly groomed and the museum for helping on twitter but not T20k.

Just to clarify the Target 20k involvement was nothing more than saying words to the effect of "fans have commented on it - will you be doing something about it"

The club announced they would and at the same time mentioned it came about following discussions with fan groups including T20k

Target 20k didn't run about telling all and sundry it was their doing so no need to continue with the digs. We know you disagree with it, that's up to you, but at the end of the day something got done about it so where's the harm?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

bellz2002 said:

Because pitch and the club were desperate for some "we're talking to fans, please like us" news stories and Target20k went along with it because it made them feel they'd done something.

Noteworthy that @jdmotion thanks the club, olly groomed and the museum for helping on twitter but not T20k.

Just to clarify the Target 20k involvement was nothing more than saying words to the effect of "fans have commented on it - will you be doing something about it"

The club announced they would and at the same time mentioned it came about following discussions with fan groups including T20k

Target 20k didn't run about telling all and sundry it was their doing so no need to continue with the digs. We know you disagree with it, that's up to you, but at the end of the day something got done about it so where's the harm?
    Toto bollocks. The chair of T20k was quoted on the OS about it.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-to-refurbish-jimmy-seed-stand-sign-3294988.aspx

It wasn't their idea and I agree with you that they actually did feck all, no surprise there, but they milked it big time just as the club did.

As I and many others said at the time, do the work, then claim the small credit due.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

bellz2002 said:

Plenty of reason to continue with digs I would say looking from the outside. Sorry.
  • Options
    I think it looks better than it did. Nothing lasts forever and the old one needed replacing. I also, especially, like the old club badge.

I don't think it matters who first came up with the idea of replacing it, frankly it was obvious to anyone that looked at it that it needed doing.

I'd also point out that from what I remember the club never had money for this type of work until we won promotion to the Premier League, and even then some things seemed to be left longer than was desirable.

I'm not supporting anyone or knocking anyone. Not everything needs to be a conspiracy nor is absolutely everything that the club currently does evil or incompetent - just most of it. The sign looked knackered, now it looks much better and the old style badge was a great idea, in my opinion.
  • Options
    It does the job. A great man.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

bellz2002 said:

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-to-refurbish-jimmy-seed-stand-sign-3294988.aspx

It wasn't their idea and I agree with you that they actually did feck all, no surprise there, but they milked it big time just as the club did.

As I and many others said at the time, do the work, then claim the small credit due.</

Lol

It's almost as if you're bitter that the club listened to someone other than yourself. The quote is hardly T20k bigging themselves up.

Target 20k’s Metin Afiya said: “It is great to see this happening and I am really happy that Target 20K had a level of engagement with the club to assist in this being implemented, after it was highlighted to us by the museum.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

bellz2002 said:

As I and many others said at the time, do the work, then claim the small credit due.
    Why would I be jealous? "I" was bigged up in the article and "I" was thanked by Jim Dutton yesterday but I and the rest of the volunteers at the museum weren't doing to "big" ourselves up. We did it because we cared.

It is very much T20K bigging themselves up

"I am really happy that Target 20K had a level of engagement with the club"

Is what your Marshal Petain said. What else is that but bigging up T20k?

Remember at this stage you had done nothing, had found no funding, it wasn't your idea and the promise was only to look into it but you were saying "I am really happy that Target 20K had a level of engagement with the club"