Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F1 title decider- who do you want to win?

Comments

• Options

Hamilton is clearly the better driver. If he wins today he will have won more GO's this season than Rosberg, and has jsut been incredibly unlucky with reliability.

Unlucky with reliability or did Rosberg look after his car better?

That is a serious question by the way
    They just said that BOTH of them have had 4 failures this season.
    I thought that was relating to their time together at Mercedes, and not just this season?
  • Options
    I actually paid attention to the end of the race, as Hamilton's tactics made it interesting. I imagine Bernie approved!
  • Options

Hamilton is clearly the better driver. If he wins today he will have won more GO's this season than Rosberg, and has jsut been incredibly unlucky with reliability.

I thought that was relating to their time together at Mercedes, and not just this season?
    Could be I personally don't follow F1 that much, it was the first GP I've seen from start to finish this season.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Good, Hamilton showing his class on the radio there during the race, exactly the reason why he isn't universally liked.

Wherever you go in the world of F1 there are far and away more fans of Lewis than any other driver.....Union Jack flags with his name on everywhere, you're assertion that he's universally disliked is well wide of the mark old son.
    Go to a Grand Prix and you will see for yourself.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Good, Hamilton showing his class on the radio there during the race, exactly the reason why he isn't universally liked.

I didn't watch, but saw he refused orders to speed up? Is that what you are referring to Sam?
  • Options

Could be I personally don't follow F1 that much, it was the first GP I've seen from start to finish this season.
    I wasn't paying much attention, but I think the point they were making is that while Hamilton has bad luck on reliability this season, in previous seasons Rosberg has had the bad luck, which evens itself out
  • Options
    WSS said:

I liked his tactics to be honest.

I think that the "team" aspect is overplayed in F1, the focus should be on the individual driver. I think most drivers only care about themselves as well.

All of the most successful drivers (or successful people in any walk of life for that matter) are not universally liked - Schumacher was a nasty piece of work on the track for example. That edge makes them multiple champions.

I am right in thinking that only Rosberg or Hamilton could win the title right? If so why on earth would the team bosses expect Hamilton to hand it to his rival? Makes as much sense as getting sent off in rugby because of the angle someone hits the deck at...
  • Options

WSS said:

I think that the "team" aspect is overplayed in F1, the focus should be on the individual driver. I think most drivers only care about themselves as well.

All of the most successful drivers (or successful people in any walk of life for that matter) are not universally liked - Schumacher was a nasty piece of work on the track for example. That edge makes them multiple champions.

I am right in thinking that only Rosberg or Hamilton could win the title right? If so why on earth would the team bosses expect Hamilton to hand it to his rival? Makes as much sense as getting sent off in rugby because of the angle someone hits the deck at...
    They only made that call because Vettel could have passed them both so it was a team order to secure the 1 2 finish rather than let his teammate win the title
  • Options

WSS said:

They only made that call because Vettel could have passed them both so it was a team order to secure the 1 2 finish rather than let his teammate win the title
    Mercedes wanted the 1-2...and I suspect they wanted Rosberg to win the title.

From their point of view having 2 world champions in the team is beneficial I guess
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rosberg had such a lead that he didn't need to over push the car for wins and rather than tactics that's him just not as good as Lewis.

Lewis needs other people to finish ahead of Rosberg for him to stand a chance of winning, he drives slow and he is a superior driver and master tactician?

He was second best this season nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Jackie Stewart, Damian Hill, Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert all saying that they would have backed Nico Rosberg up in the last few laps, exactly as Lewis Hamilton did and ignored team orders.....it's all about winning was the general consensus.
  • Options
    It was 5 points difference. If Lewis engine hadn't gone pop in Malaysia or China or Russia that's a dominant championship. Fact is it did and that motor racing. Nico is champ and we'll done but he wasnt the best in performance
  • Options
    Might not be as 'unlucky' as some people think. If you have your engine maxed out in order to go as fast as possible it's probably more likely to fail.

It's a percentages game and Rosberg won this year. He was the one with the dodgy engines last year.
  • Options

Might not be as 'unlucky' as some people think. If you have your engine maxed out in order to go as fast as possible it's probably more likely to fail.

It's a percentages game and Rosberg won this year. He was the one with the dodgy engines last year.

Nothing like as dodgy as Hamilton's were this year though......they were truly catastrophic to the point of disbelief.
  • Options
    Why are Hamiltons worse this season?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    1) Rosbergs bad luck never changed the course of a title (ie Abu Dhabi in 2014 he was behind Lewis anyway)

2) Lewis bad luck has been catastrophically bad this year

3) Probably bad luck... But this is F1 and all sorts of dodgy behaviour has gone on in teams in the past. Think a lot will come out after Lewis has retired.

4) Maxing the engine out? He has been short shifting to the point of hilarity and still went bang.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Lewis, he's British FFS.

Lewis of course.....Union Jack flying, national anthem playing.......why would anyone want anything else?

Being British doesn't automatically mean he's my favourite though. In fact it's such blinkered views and narrow mindedness that leads me to root for the 'other side' in many situations.

My favourite drivers since I started watching in 95? Schumacher, Montoya, Raikonnen, Barrichello Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen.

No doubt some peoples lists read Brundle, Herbert, Hill, Coulthard, Button, Hamilton.

Yawn
    Wot no Nige (Mansell)!

You have to admire the skill of anyone who regularly wins the pinnacle of their chosen sport, providing there is decent competition but I do agree it can become boring, like the prem or the aussies continually thrashing the poms!

So, from that point of view, Rosberg.

• Options
    I appreciate that to get to the top of your chosen sport you have to be a bad loser to an extent but LH, imho, came across as an absolute bell end tonight!

• Options

Why are Hamiltons worse this season?

Mmmmmm.......as many people as you ask, is as many different answers you will get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simple fact was LH had to win and have NR finish 4th or lower. So with traffic hard on NR's tail Hamilton had to slow and force NR into a fight with those two. LH literally had no other choice. If he accelerates away then NR pulls clear of the chasing cars, get's second and wins the title.

The one without any class is NR asking the team to tell LH to speed up. Basically admitting that he wasn't confident he was good enough to hold of MV and SV and that he wasn't good enough to get past LH even if he was going slow.

It was unreasonable of Mercedes to ask LH to speed up just to make NR's day easier when LH still had a chance of winning the championship.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Personally I think Lewis didn't slow down sooner or enough. He should have risked being passed on DRS to have the two guys up Rosberg's arse. Having said that, I'd have had the class to take my foot off the gas on final few turns and let Nico have the top podium spot as well.

But we don't know the politics. Perhaps with all the money in the sport, Hamilton's AA moments weren't purely random which is why there is no love lost. The mechanics aren't paid fortunes, my ex-BiL was one and it would only take a spark plug removal and some alloy debris to undermine an engine. Experts could be more subtle.

Wouldn't have to be Rosberg's camp either. The Far East betting syndicates probably had hundreds of millions riding on the Champ.
  • Options

I appreciate that to get to the top of your chosen sport you have to be a bad loser to an extent but LH, imho, came across as an absolute bell end tonight!

Give me an example....he was gracious, seemed fairly well relaxed and smiled and congratulated Rosberg continuously.....I was watching Sky F1 channel.
    You really are misrepresenting things to the enth degree just because you don't like the bloke.....it's utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Mercedes had already won the constructors championship months ago so the result today wouldn't have changed that. Hamilton did all he could to try and engineer the result which would have won him the championship as any true racer would do.

• Options

Simple fact was LH had to win and have NR finish 4th or lower. So with traffic hard on NR's tail Hamilton had to slow and force NR into a fight with those two. LH literally had no other choice. If he accelerates away then NR pulls clear of the chasing cars, get's second and wins the title.

The one without any class is NR asking the team to tell LH to speed up. Basically admitting that he wasn't confident he was good enough to hold of MV and SV and that he wasn't good enough to get past LH even if he was going slow.

It was unreasonable of Mercedes to ask LH to speed up just to make NR's day easier when LH still had a chance of winning the championship.

They didn't ask to make NR's life easier they gave team orders as Vettel was lapping fast enough to overtake them both and they didn't want to throw away the team 1-2.
  • Options

They didn't ask to make NR's life easier they gave team orders as Vettel was lapping fast enough to overtake them both and they didn't want to throw away the team 1-2.
    Oh come on.....do you honestly believe Vettel could have passed Rosberg.....let alone Hamilton. They could have ditched him in half a lap.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    That was easily the most interesting race of the season, but also highlighted why it's been a fairly dull year - at points Hamilton was slowing Rosberg down by as much as 9 s a lap but still none of the other drivers could get in front of a Mercedes. In my mind Hamilton had no choice and was well within his rights. If Mercedes needed points for the constructors title it would have been different, but they didn't so, for the good of the sporting spectacle, they should have stayed out of it and let anything within the rules go. If it was that bad for Rosberg he could have always shown he is a worthy champ and overtaken Lewis.

We all know Hamilton will be faster than Rosberg over a single lap or race distance most of the time, but
    I do think this idea he only didn't win the title because of reliability is over played.

He definitely suffered in mid season, but his start to the season (and end to last year's) was frankly crap and there were weekends like Baku and Singapore where he just wasn't at it. And it's not like Rosberg had suffered zero issues.

I like him as a driver and want him to win because he's a racer, and will do what it takes to win, same as I admire the two Red Bull drivers, but he does need to learn to be a bit more gracious, at least publicly. Rosberg didn't ever cheat and got the points he needed to win the title so he is, in the end, just as worthy a champion as anyone else.
  • Options

Oh come on.....do you honestly believe Vettel could have passed Rosberg.....let alone Hamilton. They could have ditched him in half a lap.
    The speed Hamilton was lapping yes, NR was having to drive very defensively.

I'm not saying LH did anything wrong as it was the only way he could win but all this shit about NR having a superior car or being favoured by the team is bollox.

• Options
    Didn't Hamilton move to Monaco to avoid paying tax here?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Didn't Hamilton move to Monaco to avoid paying tax here?

I think Button did as well