Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F1 title decider- who do you want to win?

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Love the way you get behind the German more than the Germans by the way.... It's common knowledge they all think he is shit!

It's actually quite strange at Hockenheim.... They all love Vettel and Rosberg gets less support than Lewis. Not like Silverstone where Rosberg is destroyed by the home crowd.

I found Hockenheim a real surprise.

I actually have a q and a with the Sky Sports team, and Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe are guests next week through work. Very much looking forward to that one........ See what their answer is....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Rosberg is quick and he is amongst the best drivers - I would say that Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel and Alonso are definitely better than him. His biggest issue is that his race craft is inferior to all of those. Give him an empty track and his times would be up there with them.

Given even reliability Hamilton will beat Rosberg every time over a full season, but Hamilton did have some issues outside of reliability this year which still could be claimed to have cost him the title. His starts in a number of races being major ones. The fact that one team was dominant and it is so difficult for similar cars to overtake means you have to always be at the top of your game to counter a bit of bad luck.

My guess is that this will make Hamilton hungrier next season and he will blow Rosbertg away. Rosberg will kno whe isn't the best and the title will mean a lot more to him because of it - you can't begrudge him that. He has driven well all season.

Mercedeswill be happy Rosberg has won for German sponsers etc... but they also know that when the gap closes to teh other teams - and it could very easily do next year with rule changes - Hamilton is going to be a more important driver for them than Rosberg.
  • Options
    Rosberg just retired from Formula 1!
  • Options
    Strange. What's he gonna do?

Rallying?
  • Options
    Going to be more interested to see who replaces him?
  • Options
    Never saw that coming, shame really it would of been interesting to see him and Hamilton continue their rivalry next year
  • Options
    Verstappen to Mercedes would be more than interesting...
  • Options
    Rumours at my work (we work in the sports industry) thats something BIG has happened at Mercedes in relation to the unrest with Hamilton and his blown engines.

And Rosberg bows out.

Think something dodgy has gone on here.
  • Options
    Would love to see Jenson given one more season in a winning car. Not fast enough to bother Lewis too much any more, but will pick up a couple more wins and get back on the podium.

Or Alonso v Lewis. Epic.

Alonso will already be on the phone to Brackley, mark my words.
  • Options

Rumours at my work (we work in the sports industry) thats something BIG has happened at Mercedes in relation to the unrest with Hamilton and his blown engines.

And Rosberg bows out.

That's quite a statement you have just made there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glovepup said:

And Rosberg bows out.

Indeed...... 8 engine failures / issues to none.

Wouldnt exactly be a shock.
  • Options

Glovepup said:

And Rosberg bows out.

Wasn't 8 to 0 though was it?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Glovepup said:

And Rosberg bows out.

He had one gearbox glitch that dropped him from 2nd to 3rd and Lewis was ahead anyway.
  • Options
    Name the 8 Hamilton had then, and what about problems in practice for both drivers? Or non engine related problems?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Glovepup said:

And Rosberg bows out.

What was the ratio?
  • Options
    From what I can work out Rosberg had 3 technical problems to Hamiltons 6, however Hamilton replaced all parts of the engine several times in one weekend (Spa) and took grid penalties to stockpile the new parts, which though impacted his race weekend (not as much as it could have as Verstappen, Vettel and Raikonnen crashed into each other at the first corner) it meant he had more fresh parts for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Oh come on Sam........

None of Rosbergs technical issues handed victory to Hamilton. All of Hamiltons handed it to Rosberg.

Its a massive issue which will clearly come out at some point. Rosberg obviously feels it has won him a title as he has legged it pronto.
  • Options

Oh come on Sam........

None of Rosbergs technical issues handed victory to Hamilton. All of Hamiltons handed it to Rosberg.

Its a massive issue which will clearly come out at some point. Rosberg obviously feels it has won him a title as he has legged it pronto.

Do you honestly think Mclaren had a magic button that would break Hamilton's car when they decided to? This conspiracy nonsense is dumb.

Rosberg has retired because he has a 1 year old and wants to spend time raising her after 10 years in F1.
  • Options
    Isn't pascal wehrlein associated to Mercedes in some way? He'd be a good shout to take rosbergs seat.
    Wouldn't hassle lewis too much but would still be competitive with a good bit of experience behind him.
  • Options
    From what I can work out Rosberg had 3 technical problems to Hamiltons 6, however Hamilton replaced all parts of the engine one weekend (Spa) and took a penalty to stockpile new parts

Oh come on Sam........

Do you honestly think Mclaren had a magic button that would break Hamilton's car when they decided to? This conspiracy nonsense is dumb.

Rosberg has retired because he has a 1 year old and wants to spend time raising her after 10 years in F1.
    Mercedes, but yeah what with the amount of scrutiny, telemetry etc. That there is in F1 it would be impossible to just break a few things here and there and no-one to realise. There is also hundreds of people working for the F1 teams both on site and back at the base.

Damo you claim all of Hamiltons failures led to Rosberg victories but not vice versa, but isn't that credit to Rosberg that he is always there or thereabouts to capitalise on it? F1 has been a balance between great drivers and great machinery for decades, failures happen, and people need to get over it.

Still waiting on your 8-01 claim too, why haven't you named the failures yet? Or was it just bullshit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Isn't pascal wehrlein associated to Mercedes in some way? He'd be a good shout to take rosbergs seat.
    Wouldn't hassle lewis too much but would still be competitive with a good bit of experience behind him.

Rumours of being a bit of a diva at Manor, which ssemingly led to Ocon getting the Force India drive ahead of him. Not sure the top brass at Mercedes would want to now push him to the top, but they might not have much say.

I'm personally hoping they go for Bottas or maybe Perez, but he wasn't great at McLaren.

2018 will be more interesting, Ricciardo and Hamilton could be teammates at Ferrari by then, and drivers like Gasly and Leclerc coming through.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Why would they even do it? The constructors title is the one that decides how much prize money the teams get - why would they deliberately jeopardise that just to secure a drivers title for a german? Especially when you consider most of Hamilton's problems were early season when it was less obvious (Ferrari looking strong for example) that they would be as dominant again this year.
  • Options

Would love to see Jenson given one more season in a winning car. Not fast enough to bother Lewis too much any more, but will pick up a couple more wins and get back on the podium.

Or Alonso v Lewis. Epic.

Alonso will already be on the phone to Brackley, mark my words.

Button would know the some of the team also if still there from the Brawn days.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

From what I can work out Rosberg had 3 technical problems to Hamiltons 6, however Hamilton replaced all parts of the engine one weekend (Spa) and took a penalty to stockpile new parts

Oh come on Sam........

Mercedes, but yeah what with the amount of scrutiny, telemetry etc. That there is in F1 it would be impossible to just break a few things here and there and no-one to realise. There is also hundreds of people working for the F1 teams both on site and back at the base.

Damo you claim all of Hamiltons failures led to Rosberg victories but not vice versa, but isn't that credit to Rosberg that he is always there or thereabouts to capitalise on it? F1 has been a balance between great drivers and great machinery for decades, failures happen, and people need to get over it.

Still waiting on your 8-01 claim too, why haven't you named the failures yet? Or was it just bullshit
    No it's not credit to Rosberg that he was always there to pick up on it.... The car advantage meant Russell Slade would have had a shout if it could fit in. Running second wasn't a challenge like previous years....

In terms of car problems I was quoting Autosport forum - on my own count I have:

1) Oz - bad start was attributed to clutch issue
    2) Bahrain - punted out by Bottas through no fault of his own. Bottas penalised (and start hampered by software glitch).
    3) China - engine issue in qualy
    4) Russia - engine issue in qualy
    5) Spa - engine penalty due to the above happening (I don't agree with being penalised for an engine failure you have already been penalised for - either way it spoonfed Rosberg another win)
    6) Malaysia. Title defining. Rosberg got a 28 point swing in his favour from it

Nico had:

1) gearbox glitch at Silverstone dropped him from second to third. Lewis was already leading.

He is a good driver but not a great one that got lucky versus the arguably quickest of his generation and one of the quickest of all time.

He knows that and has run.

Never mind the fact that something very smelly is clearly going on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    One of the commentators on TV said the Rosberg was, at one Point, in danger of becoming the first F1 Champion without having overtaken anyone on the track. I don't know how true that is/was, but it was on German TV.
  • Options
    I don't believe for a second there was any sabotage involved. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some internal issues that could come to light that undermine Rosberg's win somewhat, perhaps some degree of favoroutism toward Rosberg. Hamilton certainly hinted at that earlier in the season, about the redeployment of staff especially.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't believe for a second there was any sabotage involved. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some internal issues that could come to light that undermine Rosberg's win somewhat, perhaps some degree of favoroutism toward Rosberg. Hamilton certainly hinted at that earlier in the season, about the redeployment of staff especially.

That's EXACTLY where my head is at.

Self destruct button? Doubt it.

But the level of favouritism Wolff is showing in the press even now is astonishing.

F1 team principals vote Hamilton best and Verstappen second best drivers of 2016 (Nico voted third).

Wolff today - "Nico leaves the best driver in F1"

Yeah alright Toto.
  • Options

One of the commentators on TV said the Rosberg was, at one Point, in danger of becoming the first F1 Champion without having overtaken anyone on the track. I don't know how true that is/was, but it was on German TV.

I've been trying to think if the lead of the Grand Prix, other than due to a mechanical failure/crash, or just after the start when cars are naturally bunched up, has changed hands due to an on track overtake at any point during the season. I don't think it has, whenever the lead has changed it has been in the pits.

There has been plenty of midfield overtakes but at the very front, whoever has had it after the first lap has pretty much held it unless there s a breakdown or bad strategy call. So the same accusation could have been levelled at Hamilton too.

That sums up what is wrong with F1 at the moment.