Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The British press doesn't give a toss about Charlton

The national press, radio and tv have largely neglected the plight of Charlton and when they do discuss it have been content to parade their ignorance. Too many journalists are lazy and ill-informed.
Unless its in the Premier League they just can't be bothered.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    LouisMend said:

It's literally all we talk about on Charlton Live TBH

Now if you were to change the programme title to South London Football Live (by postal district) you'd be able to talk fondly of the stripeys :wink:.
  • Options
    We've been getting more publicity over the last year than we've had for the previous 6 years combined since we left the Premier League.

And that's something we can be very proud of I think.
  • Options
    Complete wind up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Curb_It said:

Complete wind up.

Baked beans for tea? :wink:
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

It's literally all we talk about on Charlton Live TBH

And your Crystal Palace t-shirt TBF
  • Options

The national press, radioactive and tv have largely neglected the plight of Charlton and when they do discuss it have been content to parade their ignorance. Too many journalists are lazy and ill-informed.

You couldn't be more wrong . In fact I'm amazed that they still run stories about us considering how long this shit has been going on.

The national press, radioactive and tv have largely neglected the plight of Charlton and when they do discuss it have been content to parade their ignorance. Too many journalists are lazy and ill-informed.

You couldn't be more wrong . In fact I'm amazed that they still run stories about us considering how long this shit has been going on.
    That's down to the good people at CARD (and Belgium 20 etc) having great imagination and managing to keep the protests inventive and in the eye of the media. They do brilliant work.
  • Options

That's down to the good people at CARD (and Belgium 20 etc) having great imagination and managing to keep the protests inventive and in the eye of the media. They do brilliant work.
    Agreed
  • Options

The national press, radio and tv have largely neglected the plight of Charlton and when they do discuss it have been content to parade their ignorance. Too many journalists are lazy and ill-informed.

Where would you like to us to feature?
  • Options

You must be joking.

Over the past 12 months we are the most discussed third tier club in the world.

Millwall basically need to invade France 60-handed, overthrow the government with arms-wide "come-on-then's" and bleed their eardrums with "meeeeers" wearing their flat caps to even think about addressing the situation

Don't give the spanners any ideas.
  • Options
    Considering that we are in League One we have had some great press coverage. All that major newspapers are focussed on the Premier League. Championship is just about mentioned - and that's normal stuff like results and transfers. Strangely enough (not) it's a bit like the distribution of money throughout the leagues....
  • Options
    Bizarre post. As pretty much everyone has said our coverage has been pretty decent considering the level we're now at.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Complete wind up.

Its not a wind up - I'm just saying if we were a Premiership club we would have been plastered all over the back and front pages with what's going on. I have been stunned at how ignorant and lazy a lot of journos are and how easily they've been taken in by RD and KM.

Football in this country is in a huge mess and we typify that yet unless its in the Prem it barely gets a mention. We have certainly had a lot of coverage for a third tier club but given what's gone on and the wider implications for football it should have been a lot more.

CARD have done a fantastic job to raise our profile yet I remain disappointed with the attitude of the National press.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Where would you like to us to feature?
    The readers wives pages in razzle.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Complete wind up.

Its not a wind up - I'm just saying if we were a Premiership club we would have been plastered all over the back and front pages with what's going on. I have been stunned at how ignorant and lazy a lot of journos are and how easily they've been taken in by RD and KM.
    However........if we were in the prem then there probably wouldn't be that much of an issue at how poorly run we were because we'd obviously be doing quite well.

We've had loads of coverage though. For example i never really knew anything or had seen anything written about Coventry's troubles until they played us.
  • Options

Disagree.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Complete wind up.

Football in this country is in a huge mess and we typify that yet unless its in the Prem it barely gets a mention. We have certainly had a lot of coverage for a third tier club but given what's gone on and the wider implications for football it should have been a lot more.

CARD have done a fantastic job to raise our profile yet I remain disappointed with the attitude of the National press.
    How much coverage have Hull been getting?
  • Options

As a neutral I think that out of all the 'crisis' clubs Charlton have had by far the most coverage over the last 12 months.

Coventry are really getting s*** on and look in serious trouble and they've hardly been mentioned. And I'd say their plight is far worse than Charlton's.

I wouldn't disagree with this. We have had excellent coverage - we're a third tier team for gods sake, yet we've made the nationals, TV, International press regularly. There cannot be many football supporters who haven't seen something about us. I feared that we would be forgotten about when we were relegated, we still could be!
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Complete wind up.

What Like Hull???
    Basket case club, whom we have had more attention than.
  • Options

As a neutral I think that out of all the 'crisis' clubs Charlton have had by far the most coverage over the last 12 months.

Coventry are really getting s*** on and look in serious trouble and they've hardly been mentioned. And I'd say their plight is far worse than Charlton's.

Agree in the present era. One key thing about Coventry is their main fans site (sky blues talk) is run by a guy who isn't in favour of organised protests and hasn't done his bit to help (last time I looked). Their situation is possibly more complex too which can't help. This forum and the people on it has really been vitally important in helping keep momentum for us, unpicking the detail, and keeping track of all the issues.

I think Blackpool had good levels of exposure in the past but their football decline has been steeper, and their owners nastier over that time. All could and should learn from each other and can hope some good comes from it all. It won't be media coverage alone that makes that happen but direct contact and joint activities like CARD have instigated, leading by example.