Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Cheese

Comments

• Options
    Depends what I am having it with
  • Options
    Had some grilled Provolone last week in a restaurant. Very impressed. However, the king of cheese has to be Epoisses. Rinsed in local brandy before being left to mature. Strong smell but fantastic taste.
  • Options

Laughing cow

Funnily enough, I had spent a few months in south East asia, eating rice. We crossed over into Vietnam, and the first thing we ate was a baguette filled with laughing cow. I was literally groaning with joy.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Love cheese. Gruyere, Manchego, Stilton and perhaps deep fried Camembert are amongst my favourites (today, at least). Anything except those stupid pasty white northern cheeses that crumble at the first sign of a knife. They are an affront to proper cheesery.
  • Options
    Västerbottensost
    Manchego curado (with olive oil)
    Extra mature cheddar (small scale production)
    Queso Oveja curado from Las Balanchares
  • Options
    Stig said:

Love cheese. Gruyere, Manchego, Stilton and perhaps deep fried Camembert are amongst my favourites (today, at least). Anything except those stupid pasty white northern cheeses that crumble at the first sign of a knife. They are an affront to proper cheesery.

I like you @Stig but I have to disagree with you on the crumbly cheese. Nothing better than a nice crumbly Double Gloucester.
  • Options
    I told my housemate that there was a thread about cheese on here. His reply 'you must be in heaven, chatting about Charlton abound cheese in the same place'.

The two great loves in my life.

Don't tell the girlfriend she's third. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not a big cheese fan until Christmas, then it's all about the selection boxes, some Branston pickle, Gammon and cooked meats, with a nice bottle of ale or a glass of whiskey. All whilst watching absolute tosh on TV and pretending that work doesn't exist.

Other than that, definitely got a thing for dipping bread sticks (or even Garlic bread) in Cumumbert, and the smoked cheeses that look like sausages. It's disgusting but I can chomp my way through them like a chocolate bar.

@Greenie Junior - get some Boursin, spread it on a slice of salami and roll it up. Feckin delicious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cambozola
  • Options
    Can't say I like all cheese more or less equally.......like my children. Being serious cheese is great and has a "version" for whatever you need.
  • Options
    Cheddar
    Port Salut
    Boursin
  • Options
    Deffo Port salut six a bag, I don't think theres a cheese I wouldn't finish off really!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Some amazing ones from the northern Basque region....who's unpronounceable names I have long forgotten.
    Many of these are only available locally and are to be found in some beautiful remote mountain regions, which of course all adds to the pleasure of finding them.
    Agh yes......what a truly beautiful part of the world, with cheese and wine to match!
  • Options
    None of it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Halloumi is the food of my ancestors. The food of gods.

Other classics:

Vacherin
    Mont D'Or
    Reblochon
    Saint Marcellin (had this at La Fromagerie up near Regent's Park, a revelation)
    Somerset Tor goats' cheese
    a really ripe Pecorino
    Epoisses
    a big wodge of buffalo mozzarella
    Gruyere (esp. fondue)
    and maaaaybe Wensleydale
    or a particularly lethal Stilton
    if we're being all patriotic

If you like St Marcellin, I'd recommend Maroilles from northern France. Not easy to find here though.
  • Options
    Brebis (sheeps cheese) from the Pyrenees region of France. The hard, aged version. Sensational taste but very overpriced. A rare treat.
  • Options
    Like nearly all cheese, only ever had a couple I didn't like (white stilton with cranberries or apricots I'm looking at you. And Norwegian brown cheese - tastes like caramac bars).

really appreciate a good aged cheddar.
    Like most blue, depends on what it's going with. Roquefort especially.
    Adore the gouda that comes with cumin seeds and it's Norwegian equivalent nokkelost. Don't ever see either of these :-(
    Like goats. Love Manchego.

Mmm. Hungry now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven't found a cheese yet that I don't like!!!
  • Options
    blue cheese of any form i cant stand
    baked camembert is tasty
    mexicana cheese is nice
    red leicester
  • Options

Stig said:

I like you @Stig but I have to disagree with you on the crumbly cheese. Nothing better than a nice crumbly Double Gloucester.
    Or crumbly lancashire.
  • Options
    Can't bear goats cheese. The taste is the same as its smell. Both pungent and not for me although I am aware of a great following for it.
  • Options

Stig said:

Or crumbly lancashire.
    Ooh no, you'll be telling me you like Cheshire or one of those anaemic boxes of crumbs ending in the word 'dale' next.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Or crumbly lancashire.
    Ooh no, you'll be telling me you like Cheshire or one of those anaemic boxes of crumbs ending in the word 'dale' next.
    Yes and rightly so. They are lovely cheeses.

Amateur!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Or crumbly lancashire.
    How did you read my mind, luvverley Cheshire and Wensleydale.

Tried to like Gruyere but texture like rubber and sweet as sick and Manchego has a distinct finish akin to the smell of nail varnish remover. Can't beat good old fashioned English cheese.
  • Options
    Anyone ever had Casu Marzu?
  • Options
    Being somewhat of a cheese fanatic these are my five favourites:

Humming Bark (Irish)
    Montgomery,s Cheddar (English)
    Eppoisse (French)
    Roquefort (French)
    Golden Cenarth (Welsh)

The humming bark is the stand alone champion!!
  • Options
    Got to be Stinking Bishop (once you get over the fact that it smells like feet)