Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    The Stranglers at Brixton Academy Friday 22nd March is my next one.
    Enjoy, CE.

First Stranglers tour I’m missing for 8 years as I’m away for work.

Heard they’ve been on fine form, dropping in a few new numbers too.

Let me know what you make of it! 
  • Options
    Sark99 said:
    Sark99 said:
    I am going to see George Ezra at the O2 tonight, no idea what to expect. My last gig at the O2 was Jeff Lynnes ELO, more my era and style

Just to say left early as George Ezra live done nothing for me
    Given that all of his songs are the same I’d say that you did the right thing. 
    Saw him with my daughter on Tuesday night - not my cup of tea but his show was very good. He has an excellent voice and the material was far more varied than I expected.

A very talented guy even if I'm not his biggest fan. 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Now, I’m a soul and funk purist so I went to see James Brown’s trombonist Fred Wesley for the third time in all, but the first time at The Hideaway in Streatham, and who should I see on the way out? Only Sir Chris Powell. Had a 10 minute chat with him. Nicest bloke in the world of course.
    Saw him a few times years ago. Once with Maceo Parker, Pee Wee Ellis, Bobby Bird, Marva Whitney and others from the JB's.

Of those I've seen Maceo a few times, and in fact the first time, he brought on Pee Wee Ellis as a guest. I've seen Martha High, backed by the ace Japanese funk outfit Osaka Monaurail (highly recommend), but although she's great live and has a fantastic voice, she wasn't one of the really great James Brown singers in the way Marva Whitney and Lyn Collins were.
  • Options
    FOCUS at The Beaverwood Club, Chislehurst, on Thursday March 21st.
    Am eagerly looking forward to baroque and roll from the Dutch Masters.

5 London based Blackpool fans will be yodelling away somewhere near the front........
  • Options
    I have just got home from the FOCUS gig at Chislehurst.
    :star::star::star::star::star:
    I've been to numerous FOCUS gigs over the years, but this one topped them all.
    They have a new(ish) recruit - Udo Pannekeet - on bass guitar. He plays a six-string, giving sound from the rumbling depths up into the alto peaks. This, allied with the huge range of the Hammond organ, and flutes - performed by the amazing and ever-green Thijs van Leer - and the mesmerising spatial effects of the lead guitarist - Menno Gootjes - are quite wonderful. Then add a world-class drummer in Pierre van der Linden.
    A splendid quartet, I reckon.
    They played non-stop for nearly two hours. £15 entry. Worth every penny.
    @PragueAddick I apologised to FOCUS about the mess that is BrFuxit.
    The international language of music transcends ugly politics.
    Buzzing. I doubt if I'll see a better band of musicians.

I think a friend has got me a ticket to see them at Under The Bridge when I'm in London in October. Yor review has made me look forward to it more.
  • Options
    They have a new(ish) recruit - Udo Pannekeet - on bass guitar. He plays a six-string, giving sound from the rumbling depths up into the alto peaks. This, allied with the huge range of the Hammond organ, and flutes - performed by the amazing and ever-green Thijs van Leer - and the mesmerising spatial effects of the lead guitarist - Menno Gootjes - are quite wonderful. Then add a world-class drummer in Pierre van der Linden.

I think a friend has got me a ticket to see them at Under The Bridge when I'm in London in October. Yor review has made me look forward to it more.
    I've seen a few gigs advertised at Under The Bridge recently, so I looked it up.
    It's under Stamford Bridge, so they can fook right off.
  • Options

I nearly made a last minute decision to drive to this last night, as my Uncle was into them back in the day. Wish I had have done now.
  • Options

I've seen a few gigs advertised at Under The Bridge recently, so I looked it up.

I'm Going to see Blancmange there next month , a mate of mine ( Fulham supporter) refuses to set foot in the place . 

• Options
    fadgadget said:

I'm Going to see Blancmange there next month , a mate of mine ( Fulham supporter) refuses to set foot in the place . 

A Fulham supporting friend of mine has the same childish attitude. Apparently it's a great venue.

• Options
    fadgadget said:

A Fulham supporting friend of mine has the same childish attitude. Apparently it's a great venue.

Yes its very nice ,  film and music memorabilia all around the place .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fadgadget said:

I'm with your Fulham mate. I'll not set foot in that place. I hate Chelsea.

As for The Stranglers I wasn't expecting much and they delivered less.
    I thought they were average at best and seemed to lack passion.
    The drums and bass were too loud, drowning out the keyboards.
    5/10, I wouldn't see them again.

• Options
    I saw Cinematic Orchestra at Chalk Farm Roundhouse last night. They are not my usual type of music but they do some amazing and very
    different stuff. Excellent performance.
  • Options
    Edgelarks, a brilliant gig by a very special folk duet. Great connection between them , incredible slide guitar, beautiful songs .
  • Options
    What is the album they are holding, @Anna_Kissed ? something new?

If they did a tour with Golden Earring, I'd be over for it in a heartbeat, but sadly they haven't got much in common beyond their age and Clogginess.
  • Options
    Gary Clarke Jr. on Tuesday. Looking forward to this. Haven’t seen him before, but his new release, This Land, is excellent. 
  • Options
    Saw the Wailers at the Indigo O2 last night - enjoyable concert and the band were really tight. 

The place works much better as a venue than the main arena.
  • Options
    Saw the Wailers at the Indigo O2 last night - enjoyable concert and the band were really tight. 

The place works much better as a venue than the main arena.
    I couldn't agree more. I quite like the Indigo2 but hate the O2.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

• Options
    I didn't read your post until I'd posted my review, @Hertsseasider
    I hope that your fellow Tangerines had as good an evening as did my friends and I.  :smile:
    Some dodgy Northern Geezers with the Main Man
  • Options
    I saw World Party a few years ago at the Under the Bridge place. Thought that it was a good small venue . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Next gig is Polish stoners Belzebong with French band The Necromancers at the Lounge in Camden next Sunday.
  • Options
    Next gig is Polish stoners Belzebong with French band The Necromancers at the Lounge in Camden next Sunday.
    How do people get to know about such bands?!?

Personally I have no gigs lined up until I see Eritrea’s premier prog-jazz-thrash-choral quintet.....the Disfunctional Gourds at the Red Lion in Asmara in July. 

• Options
    Gary Clark Jr was every bit as good as I had hoped. If you like Texas blues with diversions into reggae and R&B, I recommend seeing him if you have the chance. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

Not childish, I'm with Covered End.

I'd not go to a gig if an event was stage in a lounge at Sainsburys or Spannerville.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    If you like a bit of self penned and old style slide blues guitar, then get yourself down to the Tipsy Gardener in ShepherdsWell to see Roger Hubbard this Saturday.  Saw him last week and he is a stonking good guitarist, having played with the likes of Muddy Waters previously.  You won't be disappointed. Music starts at 6.30, good selection of craft beer, great atmosphere and the place is run by an Addick.

It's easy to get to, straight down the A2, and stop on the left before you get to the sea. 1 hour from Black Prince.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    fadgadget said:

Not childish, I'm with Covered End.

I'd not go to a gig if an event was stage in a lounge at Sainsburys or Spannerville.
    I've been to gigs at Under The Bridge four or five times. I like it there.