Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    Steve Harley Acoustic Trio .. on at Louth (near me) Town Hall next Friday .. any1 seen then, can recommend (or condemn) them ?
    Saw him a couple of years ago at Kenney Jones’ annual Rock n Horsepower festival and was impressed.

He played there last month too (I was away and had to miss it) and he apparently had to discharge himself from hospital to make the gig. Still put in a great performance by all accounts.
  • Options
    Steve Harley Acoustic Trio .. on at Louth (near me) Town Hall next Friday .. any1 seen then, can recommend (or condemn) them ?
    Saw him a couple of years ago at Kenney Jones’ annual Rock n Horsepower festival and was impressed.

He played there last month too (I was away and had to miss it) and he apparently had to discharge himself from hospital to make the gig. Still put in a great performance by all accounts.
    thanks @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    Specials and ocean colour scene at Ealing on Saturday . Excellent stuff . Steve craddock played guitar in both sets from start to finish . Along with his work with Paul Weller he’s a seriously hard working bloke but looked very happy to be up there with Terry Hall et al . 
  • Options
    Seeing Spear of Destiny at ULU on Saturday, out of curiosity tbh.
    I was a Theatre of Hate fan, but never really got into Spear of Destiny.
    Just wanna see Kirk Brandon again.
  • Options
    Went Star Shaped Festival at Kentish Town Forum last Saturday.

Chris Helme and Mark Morriss both excellent with their acoustic sets (Bluetones touring later on this year).

Band that really surprised me were Space. Was never really into them but they were really good live.
  • Options
    Well, a surprisingly excellent night.
    I don't think I've been to ULU for about 40 years.
    I had a vague recollection of going there, but my mate assured me, we saw Theatre of Hate there around 1981.

Anyway, Kirk Brandon was awesome, his voice was superb. loud and strong, the band were great as was the venue.
    If only Spear of Destiny had better songs.

Recommended if you get a chance to see him/them and only about £15. 8/10.
  • Options
    I saw Honeyblood for the third time tonight at The Garage next to Highbury & Islington station. They get better and better. Worth a watch.
  • Options
    I had a vague recollection of going there, but my mate assured me, we saw Theatre of Hate there around 1981.

Anyway, Kirk Brandon was awesome, his voice was superb. loud and strong, the band were great as was the venue.

Saw Theatre of Hate support the Cult a few years ago. Billy Duffy did Westworld, which was excellent. 
    Always struck me as one of those bands (I’m grouping ToH and Spear) that didn’t quite achieve their full potential... 
  • Options
    bbob said:

Saw Theatre of Hate support the Cult a few years ago. Billy Duffy did Westworld, which was excellent. 
    Always struck me as one of those bands (I’m grouping ToH and Spear) that didn’t quite achieve their full potential... 
    Kirk Brandon still has a great voice, he is a great performer and so much passion. 
    His/their downfall was lack of good songs. 
  • Options
    One of my favourite bands, British Sea Power, were outstanding on their home turf at the Concorde2 in Brighton last night. Every show seems to be different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw The Blues Band on their 40th anniversary tour last Friday. Apart from them being only just average, they spent most of the time bigging up their individual CDs. 

Worst of all was the Hull audience, who appeared to be dead from the neck down. I've never experienced a complete audience just sitting there as if listening to a Shakespearian soliloquy.
  • Options
    Sleaford Mods at Hammesmith Apollo tonight.
    Powerful stuff. 

'You're just saying it all to look good, you pretentious c&%&s'.

Saying it like it is. 
  • Options
    Bruce Hornsby in Berlin last Thursday night. Waited 33 years to see him live. He cannot afford to bring his Noisemakers with him, was just him and a piano.More than half of his set was random audience requests.  Spellbinding. Met up with @rikofold for it, as you do. Magical evening.

And if you think he's some MOR guy you hear on Heart or whatever, put him on shuffle on your Spotify, you'll thank me for doing that.
  • Options
    Next gig is Liam Gallagher at the O2 Thursday 28th.
    I've just looked on the AXS/O2 site and there are some seats available, as they now have an official fan resale at cost price/close to cost price.
  • Options
    I saw Jade Bird at the Concorde2 in Brighton. I thought she was good but it was too much like listening to her recordings. There's definitely a big talent there and the ability to be outstanding live, but I was left just very slightly disappointed.
  • Options
    If anyone gets the chance to see the Amazons I would recommend it, saw them in Bournemouth last night and they were brilliant.
  • Options
    Saw Postmodern Jukebox at Royal Festival Hall tonight.
    If you like their stuff on YouTube make sure to take a trip next time they’re in town. Well worth it. Absolutely incredible couple of hours. 
  • Options
    Another excellent evening with the Joy Formidable in Boston. 
  • Options
    Another excellent evening with the Joy Formidable in Boston. 
    I saw them in London a couple of weeks ago. They always deliver.
  • Options
    drewman said:
    If anyone gets the chance to see the Amazons I would recommend it, saw them in Bournemouth last night and they were brilliant.
    Agree, they’re in their prime at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing Idles at Alexandra Palace on Saturday.
  • Options

Saw GWAR again last night, who since the late 80s have dressed as aliens, decapitated human characters on stage then sprayed the blood & various other bodily fluids on the crowd. Everyone wears white t-shirts. 

Last night they walked out, announced “we are here for your national health service” then finished by killing Trump. They don’t discriminate though, in the past they’ve done Obama, Bin Laden, Clinton, Saddam, plus lots of annoying celebrities. I’ve seen ‘better’ bands but no-one who’s more fun.

• Options
    Was just about to set off to see Sam Fender at Brixton Academy tonight, but just had a text to say the gig is cancelled due to a throat infection
  • Options
    Shed Seven at Brixton Academy last night.

Absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    Wife has been buying up tickets recently, must have a thing for the older gentleman... Pixies and Pearl Jam at Hyde Park, then Aerosmith at the O2. Should be good shows but by God they cost a pretty penny
  • Options
    Saw Pete Tong’s O2 Ibiza Classics gig and had a great night. Maxi Jazz making an appearance for God is a DJ and Insomnia brought out the goosebumps.
  • Options
    Jimmy Carr tonight (stand up gig)
    Madness tomorrow.