Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Muslims Like Us

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

@stig I did source those stats, they came out of a study in 2014. Sadly, the only online source I can link to is the Daily Mirror!

But while looking I did also find this mildly interesting article.

The difference looks to be that The Mirror seem to cite 1:8,000 as the lifetime odds of a traffic related death rather than the daily odds. It's a little hard to be certain though as the article is all over the place sometimes giving national statistics, sometimes global ones and sometimes randomly skipping from one country to another; sometimes telling us daily death rates, sometimes annual and some rates for indeterminate timescales. I think that's a problem when journalists report statistics, they like to cherry pick this stuff that looks interesting at the expense of reporting things consistently.

You're right that other article is interesting, though I note that Andrew Shaver shies away from giving any raw data at all. I did wonder if that was a deliberate ploy to head-off arses like me from trying to pick the numbers apart. Then I noticed that he'd linked to that same Mirror article above. This suggests to me that Shaver, like lots of other journos, makes a living from rehashing stuff that they've found on the internet rather than doing the more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding job of going back to original sources. I note that the Mirror article is dated 2008 whilst the Washington Post one is 2015. Why would someone who is a PhD candidate and who earns a living as a political advisor be quoting a seven year old article as current for any reason other than laziness?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Stig said:

JiMMy 85 said:

@stig I did source those stats, they came out of a study in 2014. Sadly, the only online source I can link to is the Daily Mirror!

But while looking I did also find this mildly interesting article.

The difference looks to be that The Mirror seem to cite 1:8,000 as the lifetime odds of a traffic related death rather than the daily odds. It's a little hard to be certain though as the article is all over the place sometimes giving national statistics, sometimes global ones and sometimes randomly skipping from one country to another; sometimes telling us daily death rates, sometimes annual and some rates for indeterminate timescales. I think that's a problem when journalists report statistics, they like to cherry pick this stuff that looks interesting at the expense of reporting things consistently.

You're right that other article is interesting, though I note that Andrew Shaver shies away from giving any raw data at all. I did wonder if that was a deliberate ploy to head-off arses like me from trying to pick the numbers apart. Then I noticed that he'd linked to that same Mirror article above. This suggests to me that Shaver, like lots of other journos, makes a living from rehashing stuff that they've found on the internet rather than doing the more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding job of going back to original sources. I note that the Mirror article is dated 2008 whilst the Washington Post one is 2015. Why would someone who is a PhD candidate and who earns a living as a political advisor be quoting a seven year old article as current for any reason other than laziness?
    Stig, you sound like the kind of chap who may like Sense About Science. (And I suspect maybe even Freakonomics - the books were quality commuter reading, I've yet to give the podcast a go though.)
  • Options
    Cheers for the tip-off LucktReds. I've put Freakanomics on my wish list. Is Sense about Science a book, it seems to be more of a campaign group from what I can see?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Cheers for the tip-off LucktReds. I've put Freakanomics on my wish list. Is Sense about Science a book, it seems to be more of a campaign group from what I can see?

Hah, I can see how that looks a bit confusing - I popped the book on there as an after thought;I really enjoyed it though. SAS is indeed a campaign, but often they come out with pretty interesting bits and bobs.

Although a lot of their focus seems to be medicine, on occasion I've seen them release media-related stuff - breaking down the numbers behind a headline etc (Typically, I've popped on to their site to find an example and failed miserably ;))
  • Options
    Honestly, the statistics were just a colourful way of illustrating the actual point - fearing death by terrorist is pretty crazy, given that it's quite clearly very far down the list of likely causes of death. So I looked up some death stats instead. Hard to find consistent info for one particular year, but I think this still helps illustrate the point.

UK deaths in 2013: 506,790
    Leading cause of Male deaths: heart disease (15.4%)
    Leading cause of Female deaths: Alzheimer's (12.2%)
    Deaths linked to terrorism: 1 (0.0002%)
    Full breakdown of deaths in 2013 available via here.

Other stats:
    U.K. road deaths in 2015: 1,273 *Source
    UK cancer deaths in 2014: 163,444 *Source
    Total UK deaths linked to terrorism since 7/7/05: Three. *Source

I'm totally guessing, but I suspect government funding for anti-terrorism is a bit greater than heart disease, Alzheimer's and cancer research, and road safety awareness. At least relative to the death rate.

Three people in ten years, out of roughly 5m deaths. That's 0.00006% of deaths caused by terrorism. Honestly, I don't feel terrified by that figure.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Well......I've had a good think about this and this is my take.
    The well used phrase.... Not most Muslims are terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims is of course true......world wide they have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of followers of many different groups/organisations. They may not have carried out acts of terrorism but they are fully signed up members so to speak.....so when pray do they actually become fully fledged terrorists?
    Where you Henry (and one or two others), are getting your knickers twisted in quoting the stats in that article are plain to see. Stats are notoriously open to interpretation as we ALL know and are often used very cleverly (and sometimes not so cleverly) to win arguments.
    Let's try to make this simple......as then you might just understand what is being said.....after all you did go to Crown Woods!
    Let's say for example there's a terrorists organisation called The Preservation of Endangered Hedgehogs Action Group. They have ten members but these ten members then commit 1000 acts of terrorism in a short period of time....making them potentially more dangerous and active than all the Islamic groups put together. That still doesn't mean there are more of them does it.....there's still only ten.
    You are using the number of organisations and the number of incidents they are involved in to try to win your argument.....but that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together. And by the way, Islamic fundamentalist terror groups ARE commiting countless vile acts on a daily basis worldwide, or do you deny that too?
    The incredibly successful and for ever vigilant anti terrorist squads must love folk like some of you in this thread!

I'm having a lot of fun here Ben......LOL!

Don't sit back and do nothing mate....Join TPOEHAG today....application forms available at your local wildlife park or Hedgehog rescue centre.

• Options
    No....you are 100% wrong come on admit it.
  • Options

Where you Henry (and one or two others), are getting your knickers twisted in quoting the stats in that article are plain to see. Stats are notoriously open to interpretation as we ALL know and are often used very cleverly (and sometimes not so cleverly) to win arguments.

that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together.

So quoting sourced, undeniable stats is bad, and making up random large numbers to suit your argument is good?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together.

So quoting sourced, undeniable stats is bad, and making up random large numbers to suit your argument is good?
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah 1460% of people prefer to make numbers up!

C'Mon James, admit it
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Yes.
    The old 'Ive been proven wrong but i was on a wind up the whole time' number.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    No Gary.......having talked with a few family members and friends we all came to the same conclusion.....then again, I do keep some strange company.
  • Options

The well used phrase.... Not most Muslims are terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims is of course true......world wide they have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of followers of many different groups/organisations. They may not have carried out acts of terrorism but they are fully signed up members so to speak.....so when pray do they actually become fully fledged terrorists?
    Let's try to make this simple......as then you might just understand what is being said.....after all you did go to Crown Woods!
    Let's say for example there's a terrorists organisation called The Preservation of Endangered Hedgehogs Action Group. They have ten members but these ten members then commit 1000 acts of terrorism in a short period of time....making them potentially more dangerous and active than all the Islamic groups put together. That still doesn't mean there are more of them does it.....there's still only ten.
    You are using the number of organisations and the number of incidents they are involved in to try to win your argument.....but that still doesn't obscure the fact that there are more Islamic terrorists in the world right now than all the other terrorist organisations put together. And by the way, Islamic fundamentalist terror groups ARE commiting countless vile acts on a daily basis worldwide, or do you deny that too?
    The incredibly successful and for ever vigilant anti terrorist squads must love folk like some of you in this thread!

Don't sit back and do nothing mate....Join TPOEHAG today....application forms available at your local wildlife park or Hedgehog rescue centre.

To answer your question (bolded) - when they commit acts of terrorism. It has been demonstrated in this thread that evidence points to the fact that most 'acts' of terrorism are not carried out by muslims.

Your opening post on this thread was 'Most muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims' followed by some non-descript 'well generally speaking .....'.

It takes strength to change a view based on sound contrary evidence and argument - defending a clearly wrong assertion is a weakness.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

To answer your question (bolded) - when they commit acts of terrorism. It has been demonstrated in this thread that evidence points to the fact that most 'acts' of terrorism are not carried out by muslims.

Your opening post on this thread was 'Most muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims' followed by some non-descript 'well generally speaking .....'.

It takes strength to change a view based on sound contrary evidence and argument - defending a clearly wrong assertion is a weakness.
    No, no matter how nasty you are to me, I'm not going to change my view.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Not even if we get really, really nasty and start calling you names and all that?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yes.
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Not even if we get really, really nasty and start calling you names and all that?
    It's happened before on here bob, though I expect you find that hard to believe.
  • Options

Yes.

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

It's happened before on here bob, though I expect you find that hard to believe.
    Call him Robert back, he hates that
  • Options

No Gary.......having talked with a few family members and friends we all came to the same conclusion.....then again, I do keep some strange company.

Anecdotal evidence... Well it has the word "evidence" in it
  • Options

Yes.

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I've witnessed it many times - regrettably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

No, no matter how much hard evidence and facts you give me, I'm not going to change my prejudices
    Corrected that for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    If I dare dip my toe into this argument debate?

What is undeniable is; Muslims right now are responsible for thousands or possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world right now. Though clearly mostly in the Middle East. These deaths are occurring around around a common theme. ie. My version of Islam is better than yours.
    Ironically most of the victims are other Muslims.

This is where blind faith takes humanity and why I despise religion.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

If I dare dip my toe into this argument debate?

What is undeniable is; Muslims right now are responsible for thousands or possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world right now. Though clearly mostly in the Middle East. These deaths are occurring around around a common theme. ie. My version of Islam is better than yours.
    Ironically most of the victims are other Muslims.

These is where blind faith takes humanity and why I despise religion.

You're perfectly entitled to despise all religion, just not Islam!
  • Options
    ......if you say anything about Islam in particular, you must cover yourself with a dig at another religion, Christianity if poss, at the same time
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think it's more complicated than a theological debate, though that's certainly part of it. Centuries of wars, politics and cultural differences plays a part. Its like saying the Troubles were all about Christianity.

Edit: I'm not trying to be an apologist. Hundreds of thousands of people in Africa and Asia because of Islam. I'm just saying there's more to it than that
  • Options
    edited December 2016

......if you say anything about Islam in particular, you must cover yourself with a dig at another religion, Christianity if poss, at the same time

Thanks for the tip-off Ib.

Adendum to my recent post:

As were the Christian crusades back in 1095.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Exactly. The definition of terrorist is 'a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims'. So until you commit an act of terror you are not a terrorist. You might have radical political views, you might be a dick, but you aren't a terrorist. For instance, I really dislike Zooey Deschanel. Like, a lot. The most. I hate her. She is the absolute worst person ever. And if I saw her walking down the street towards me, no-one around, no CCTV cameras anywhere, no chance of ever getting caught, I would smile politely and walk past her. Maybe I'd nod. Just because you don't like something or you subscribe to a view that is against something doesn't make you an active participant in the destruction of it. I know that you don't want to back down on your view for whatever reason but your definition of a terrorist is just factually wrong. Words mean things, they don't change just because you want them to
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Daggs said:

Thanks for the tip-off Ib.

Adendum to my recent post:

As were the Christian crusades back in 1095.
    Weren't the original crusades pretty decent though? Securing safe passage for Christians and preventing them being attacked whilst they were going on pilgrimages?

(Post by LuckyReds: pointlessly fanning the flames on CharltonLife since 2012(tm))