Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rogue One. A star wars story. Spoilers.

For discussions for those that have seen the film. Im guessing the film ends with a rebel ship being fired on by a star destroyer.

Comments

• I always liked Carrie Fisher.

Wasn't expecting all the heroes to die, but yeah it leads straight into Star Wars
  • Thought the human CGI characters looked very CGI but was a clever idea to get the old characters in. Overall I enjoyed it
  • Pisses all over The Force Awakens.
  • They didn't have the budget of Force Awakens but other than Peter Cushing and Darth Vader's neck (it looked like they bought an outfit from Argos) it looked great.

Forest Whittaker was hammy as hell, but I didn't mind too much.

The editing at the end was a it excessive - they cut away from the archives story every few seconds .

Vader's home looked a lot like artwork I've seen before, which was cool.

The 'Vader attacks' scene was a fanboy's dream. Brilliantly done.
  • Maybe Leia, but no way Tarkin. His lips don't move!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Maybe Leia, but no way Tarkin. His lips don't move!

As I said, you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know he was dead. Obviously as someone who knows this and as someone who watches a lot of films you know better.
  • It was hard in 2hrs 20 for them to develop the characters to the extent that you cared for the original trilogy characters, but their one by one demise was both darker than we are used to from these films and more adult appealing. Loved Vader's BACTA tank scene - explained why he is peaky white skinned with fewer scars than his very crispy, heavily scarred self at the end of Ep III. Action was great, space battle spectacular, Vader's tear up - pure brutal and the CGI was more than acceptable. 8.5/10 and yes that is me and Daisy
  • Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Maybe Leia, but no way Tarkin. His lips don't move!

As I said, you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know he was dead. Obviously as someone who knows this and as someone who watches a lot of films you know better.
    I really don't want to knock the movie, I like that they put Tarkin in - but I don't agree at all. The CG characters lie in the dreaded uncanny valley!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
  • Glad I found this thread as I wanted to discuss this film with people who had seen it.

I think it is better than the prequels, but the originals and TFA are still ahead of it.

Having read about a number of things cut in the reshooting (but still in the trailers) I think that the original cut may well have been the better movie and something I would have enjoyed more.

The early cutting between different planets every sixty seconds was disjointed and clumsy, as was the over use of the Death Star. Honestly I can understand using it once, the weapons test etc, but turning up next to the rebel fleet which doesn't then regroup for a new hope felt out of place and wrong. As the opening post suggested, a star destroyer killing them would have made a lot more sense.

Another issue was the lack of character development. In TFA you do care more about the characters, or at least I did, who were introduced in that movie. I understand that this one was meant to be about the group effort but you need a figure to focus on in a story. The battlefront novel does this well.

On the flip side I loved all of the nods to the original series. Tarkin (one of my favourite Star Wars villains), red and gold leader, "he doesn't like you" pair, Leia, Yavin 4... then you have the nods to the Star Wars rebels and clone wars series' to bring everything together which I thought was very good.

It was grittier and there was some level of suspense even though you knew they would steal the plans. That the rebels were not knights in shining armour, and storm troopers discussing the mundane things we would while on the job, was a nice touch as well, living in that grey area was a good idea.

Baze, Chirrut and K2SO stole the show for me. If the first two were only thrown in to make the film more appealing to the Chinese market then the actors made so much more of the role. K2 was funny, Alan Tudyk was brilliantly cast, and had one of the more "emotive" deaths. I also though Riz Ahmed was pretty good.

Vader at the end was cool, but maybe a bit forced.

7/10
  • "Forced" lol
  • It's easily the 4th best StarWars movie, you're probably not gonna get better praise than that?
  • Star Wars was a great film.

The rest ......................
  • This was by far the worst Star Wars film to date, and certainly was a rogue one.
    All the stuff you like and love about Star Wars is not in this film, I saw the force awakens 5 times, I won't be going back to see this one,with Christmas just around the corner, that really was a turkey of epic proportions.

3 out of 10r

Eh!
  • This was by far the worst Star Wars film to date, and certainly was a rogue one.
    All the stuff you like and love about Star Wars is not in this film, I saw the force awakens 5 times, I won't be going back to see this one,with Christmas just around the corner, that really was a turkey of epic proportions.

3 out of 10r

The only thing this film was missing compared to all the other Star Wars films was a lightsaber fight. Not sure what traditionally Star Wars elements you would find in any other film that was not in this one.
  • Fiiish said:

This was by far the worst Star Wars film to date, and certainly was a rogue one.

3 out of 10r

The only thing this film was missing compared to all the other Star Wars films was a lightsaber fight. Not sure what traditionally Star Wars elements you would find in any other film that was not in this one.
    Yeah. I don't get it. I thought is was a great story.
    A group of mercenaries showing they had more minerals than any Jedi types by going on what was ultimately a kamikazi mission.
    Tied up a few loose ends and the battle scenes were better than I've seen in any of the other films.

I loved force awakens, but can't help but think they missed a bit of a trick after seeing this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

This was by far the worst Star Wars film to date, and certainly was a rogue one.

3 out of 10r

A group of mercenaries showing they had more minerals than any Jedi types by going on what was ultimately a kamikazi mission.
    Tied up a few loose ends and the battle scenes were better than I've seen in any of the other films.

I loved force awakens, but can't help but think they missed a bit of a trick after seeing this.
    The Force Awakens is essentially Abrams' Star Trek with the names and locations changed. The difference is that whilst the new Star Trek films are not strictly speaking considered canonical (as they take place in a different timeline), the Force Awakens is canonically a sequel to Return of the Jedi, but this is a problem because there is no logical explanation for how the events of ROTJ could have possibly led to TFA. It was essentially a kids' film: dumb-as-hell plot, barely any thought, cool looking characters that ultimately have no purpose and everything new is designed to sell as many toys as possible. It wasn't a bad film (especially compared to the prequels) but it was at best a 6 out of 10.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

3 out of 10r

The Force Awakens is essentially Abrams' Star Trek with the names and locations changed. The difference is that whilst the new Star Trek films are not strictly speaking considered canonical (as they take place in a different timeline), the Force Awakens is canonically a sequel to Return of the Jedi, but this is a problem because there is no logical explanation for how the events of ROTJ could have possibly led to TFA. It was essentially a kids' film: dumb-as-hell plot, barely any thought, cool looking characters that ultimately have no purpose and everything new is designed to sell as many toys as possible. It wasn't a bad film (especially compared to the prequels) but it was at best a 6 out of 10.
    The key to how Jedi leads to TFA is in cartoons I reckon. They've left a 30 year gap in the timeline to fill with ancillary, new-canon stories. Be they video games, books or animations (like The Clone Wars). Also, Episode 8 will fill in some of it.

While Rogue One is setting up a spin-off franchise, they didn't have to worry about a direct sequel as it had already been made. The freedom Gareth Edwards had was massive (they can kill everyone!) compared to JJ, who had to set up three movies+. That for me is why Rogue One is a better movie. They could do far more interesting things without any baggage beyond ending it in a certain place.

@Jdredsox - I think you're going a bit far implying there's an alternative cut out there! I would imagine the reshoots would've occurred before an assembly cut existed (reshoots and missing scenes are nothing new, and not necessarily a negative). I'd love to know the details of what happened but the released version doesn't look like a studio-hacked mess to me at all. It's hard to imagine where else the story would've gone.

• Loved it and was better than TFA imo. A couple of gripes was the mind reading monster thing, that was complete nonsense, looked terrible and really was not needed. Could easily have cut that from the film and it wouldn't have made a difference. I can allow all the appearances from familiar faces but Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan seemed completely pointless and there's no reaal reason for it. I would also have Daniel Mays featuring as a gripe but the fat faced charlatan is only stinking up the screen for about 30 seconds so it's fine.

Absolutely loved everything else, the battles both on and above ground, Vader's last scene, the scenery, the Easter eggs, K2, I could list loads more but I won't. The best compliment I can give it is, I enjoyed TFA as a general Star Wars romp, this one made me feel like a kid again.
  • colthe3rd said:

Loved it and was better than TFA imo. A couple of gripes was the mind reading monster thing, that was complete nonsense, looked terrible and really was not needed. Could easily have cut that from the film and it wouldn't have made a difference. I can allow all the appearances from familiar faces but Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan seemed completely pointless and there's no reaal reason for it. I would also have Daniel Mays featuring as a gripe but the fat faced charlatan is only stinking up the screen for about 30 seconds so it's fine.

Absolutely loved everything else, the battles both on and above ground, Vader's last scene, the scenery, the Easter eggs, K2, I could list loads more but I won't. The best compliment I can give it is, I enjoyed TFA as a general Star Wars romp, this one made me feel like a kid again.

Totally agree, absolutely no consequences of it. Maybe to appeal to the market in the Far East? Heard there's some enthusiasm for tentacle monster scenes over there.
  • colthe3rd said:

Loved it and was better than TFA imo. A couple of gripes was the mind reading monster thing, that was complete nonsense, looked terrible and really was not needed. Could easily have cut that from the film and it wouldn't have made a difference. I can allow all the appearances from familiar faces but Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan seemed completely pointless and there's no reaal reason for it. I would also have Daniel Mays featuring as a gripe but the fat faced charlatan is only stinking up the screen for about 30 seconds so it's fine.

Yeah the squid and Daniel Mays were pointless and poor but less pointless and poor than the Scottish space gang and the rolling super mario monsters nonsense of the force awakens.....you remember during the platform game section....
  • @JiMMy 85 you're right, I doubt it is a completely different film but there were an awful lot of re-shoots. The writer, Tony something, brought on for the re-shoots alone was paid 5m at 200k a week. It's been confirmed that the ending was completely changed and Saw Guerrera had his role greatly diminished. You can also see a number of scenes in the trailers that have been cut, including the trailer released right before the movie was released. Apparently there was a version ready for May that Disney nixed for the re-shoots.
  • edited December 2016
    My main gripe, and to be fair it's not that important, is the character names are pretty naff. Everyone remembers Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Jabba the Hutt, Admiral Ackbar, Yoda, etc. Short names but they really do stick with each character. I honestly cannot remember a single character name from the film. Even the robot. R2-D2 and C-3PO are much better by comparison. Most of the names seem like they threw the letters from Countdown on the floor and picked whatever the first letter are.

At least TFA had Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren etc. I even remember Captain Phasma, even though she turned out to be a complete non-entity in that film.
  • I loved it, it was a lot darker than all of the other star wars films and the pretty un-Hollywood ending where everyone gets the good news was welcome.

Nods to various things I'd always liked to know like the crystals that power light sabres and in my humble opinion the air battles were spectacular.
  • Just seen that Carrie Fisher's had a massive heart attack on a plane. Stopped breathing for 10 minutes apparently.