Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rogue One. A star wars story. Spoilers.

Comments

• Options
    Best Star Wars movie since the originals.

There's deffo gonna be a directors cut released sometime next year, I heard the original cut was a lot lot darker and Disney shat themselves thinking it wouldn't shift enough toys as kids wouldn't be able to see it.
  • Options

There's deffo gonna be a directors cut released sometime next year, I heard the original cut was a lot lot darker and Disney shat themselves thinking it wouldn't shift enough toys as kids wouldn't be able to see it.

It's interesting how standards have changed on violence in movies. The first Star Wars was a U yet had a family being burned to death, an evil space wizard breaking a surrendered soldier's neck with his bare hands, torture, genocide, cold blooded murder, and dismemberment. I reckon if A New Hope was released today it'd be a 12A.
  • Options
    I was very underwhelmed by the film. Had my son not felt the same as I did (he's 12) then I would wonder if I missed something based on what others have said on here.

I thought much of the plot was rubbish, many of the scenes were redundant and most of the characters came across as unlikeable.

The whole idea that her father (I can't remember any of their names) would deliberately design the DS with the exhaust port being a fatal flaw is ridiculous, almost as stupid as the idea that something the size of a planet could be build without someone casting their eye over the plans.

My biggest gripe, however, is how the makers of this film felt is necessary to slightly change the unpack of the original films. I understand how much people will love the Vader video game simile taking on dozens of Rebel troops on his own but then hours later (in ANH) he hides behind the Stormtroopera and walks in after the fighting is all done and many of hem lay dead on the floor.

Sure, the photography was amazing. The space battles were fantastic and it is refreshing for all the heroes to be compromised by having to do bad things along the way and, also, for them all to die at the end - but I thought the story was poor and superficial.

Incidentally I thought TFA was fantastic - my son and I went to the cinema to watch it four times. Even though Rogue One is already on Kodi neither of us have any interest in watching it again.
  • Options
    Boring
  • Options

I heard otherwise. Gareth Edwards said originally the story was to not kill everyone off as they thought Disney wouldn't want that but after speaking to Disney they said the best plan is to kill them all, very much unlike what you'd expect.

The reshoots were to add more Vader as well. I'll be the first to stick the boot into Disney but I'll give them credit for what they've done with SW and the marvel films. Seem happy to not interfere too much.
  • Options

I was very underwhelmed by the film. Had my son not felt the same as I did (he's 12) then I would wonder if I missed something based on what others have said on here.

I thought much of the plot was rubbish, many of the scenes were redundant and most of the characters came across as unlikeable.

It's clearly a subjective thing as to whether you like the characters or not (I really liked the blind guy and his mate, thought Jyn was well played and beardo lacking in charisma), but I'm interested to know which scenes you thought were redundant?

Force Awakens is superficial. I love watching it, it looks and feels great. But Rogue One was the sort of Star Wars I've wanted to see for years. The original was 40 years ago, it's safe to say the audience has grown up enough to handle the death and destruction in this (much as the Potter movies did). It limits the box office somewhat, but it's still making plenty of cash at a 12A.

Gareth Edwards has said Disney told him to go ahead and kill everybody off, they had no problem with the darkness according to him. There's a lot of speculation and assumptions about reshoots, but Colthe3rd is right - Disney have nailed the writing process with Pixar and are applying that across all five of their brands. Maybe there's a different cut out there, but it doesn't mean it's a better cut.
  • Options
    I loved it. It really took me back. I think if 8 year old me had seen it my brain would have exploded.
  • Options
    It started very slow let's be honest. After the film I asked my boy what he thought and he said 'well I nearly fell asleep at the beginning but it was good.'

Which very neatly summarised my view as well.
  • Options
    Went yesterday with family - 4 adults, 4 kids.
    Found the first half utterly tedious. Two of our adults had a doze during the first half - including the one member of our group who genuinely loves Star Wars and knows a lot about it. It got better though and, imho, was alright by the end.
    The kids thought it was ok. They were also getting twitchy during the boring section, but in the end they seemed to enjoy it and my daughter cried when K-2 died. She couldn't give two shits about the dying humans!
    Overall, it was ok. No more than that.
  • Options
    Best of the Star Wars bunch. Dark narrative, no one lives and the near seamless end of the film into the A New Hope was tremendous for all fans. Can't believe I came out of the cinema and then read Carrie Fisher had suffered a serious heart attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on, that ending was basically included in order to justify the change of name from Star Wars to Star Wars: a new hope.

Hokey as hell.
  • Options

Why did the empire put a shield round the planet that had the plans on it, but not bother with one on the death star?

In RotJ the Death Star did have a shield but it was provided by Endor's moon. I imagine a simple explanation would be that the power requirement to adequately shield such an immense object would be too large to have it on the station itself, i.e. It could need planetary core energy or significant cooling that could jeopardise the station's integrity.

The Death Star needed to be able to jump to hyperspace too so this could also cause it to need to be lighter in order to be able to do this.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Yeah. And why didn't the empire just destroy the antenna that sent the plans?
  • Options
    The original Deathstar had a shield, remember Luke turning it off? The second Deathstar in RotJ wasn't completed though it's weapon was operational.
  • Options
    I remember Ben turning off the tractor beam. When did Luke turn off a shield?
  • Options

Come on, that ending was basically included in order to justify the change of name from Star Wars to Star Wars: a new hope.

Eh?
  • Options
    Watching that final scene after the events of the last few days.

What would have been a 'goosebumps' final scene turned into a fucking epic final scene.

Moist eyes here.
  • Options
    Same old hero's return story...no hope/up against incredible odds etc and the rebels somehow pull it off. Enjoyed the movie whilst suspending my mind like I do in all these action movies. Did like the blind Chirrut Imwe character. Very cool. How come he is not a Jedi? But as mentioned above a difficult name to recall. I like it about the same as TFA. 7/10
    Oh, and fancy the Jedi Faith not being acknowledged as a proper religion! In USA was it? Pah!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Eh?
    At the end, aren't the last words from Leila something like 'and now we have a new hope.'?

Star Wars was retitled Star Wars: a new hope, having previously just been called Star Wars, at the time the prequels were being released.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope the directors cut gets released sometime. So much of the trailer wasn't in the final film.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Eh?
    At the end, aren't the last words from Leila something like 'and now we have a new hope.'?

Star Wars was retitled Star Wars: a new hope, having previously just been called Star Wars, at the time the prequels were being released.
    It was actually given the additional title "A New Hope" on its theatrical re-release in 1981, the same time it was also titled Episode IV. In Rogue One, Leila's final response to the question as to what they had just been given was simply "Hope".

I saw the new film today in 3D IMAX & thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The ending has acquired extra poignance owing to Carrie Fisher's recent death.
  • Options
    The last 5 minutes of Vader on the rampage was something else.

The final 35 minutes was top stuff, proper war film, liked the whole thing, not as good as Force Awakens, but a magnitude times better then the prequels
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Eh?

Not a egregious as you make out, she was simply asked what it was the disk contained and her reply was "Hope". So, yes, it's an obvious tie in to the original film was immediately follows on from that scene, but it didn't feel anywhere near as bad as all the self-referential stuff in Lucas' prequels.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Eh?

I see what you're getting at. It was heavy handed really, especially as Luke is really what 'New Hope' refers to. But the retitle first appeared in about 1982 so I don't think this line was really justification for that.
  • Options
    Me and my boy went to see it again yesterday. Both of us like it more than force awakens which I thought tried to hard to be a Star Wars film.