Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese state owned construction firm signs £2.5b deal to build modular homes in UK

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Did they call them prefabs when I was young?

no that was motte and bailey
  • Options
    shine166 said:

LenGlover said:

Did they call them prefabs when I was young?

no that was motte and bailey
    What, the TV programme about 2 Northern birds who are coppers?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

For my property portfolio I can't wait to be able to ring up and ask for two number 6, one number 24 and egg fried rice...

Why would someone flag this??? Pathetic really!
    Because I am Chinese and think this is not acceptable. Just lazy racial sterotyping in my view. Is that ok enough?
    No not really mate. Its obviously a joke FFS.
    'As a member of the race involved, I am offended by that joke'

'No you're not'

Well done everyone, racism solved 2016! And with two weeks to spare!
    Hold on a minute, Im outraged and offended because you have twisted what I said............
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

For my property portfolio I can't wait to be able to ring up and ask for two number 6, one number 24 and egg fried rice...

Because I am Chinese and think this is not acceptable. Just lazy racial sterotyping in my view. Is that ok enough?
    No not really mate. Its obviously a joke FFS.
    'As a member of the race involved, I am offended by that joke'

'No you're not'

Well done everyone, racism solved 2016! And with two weeks to spare!
    Hold on a minute, Im outraged and offended because you have twisted what I said............
    I have become that which I sought to destroy. Close thread.
  • Options

The problem with house building is that it HA developments are almost entirely off the back of new build for sale. A new development project will have 15-20% affordable tucked away at the back of an estate, which in the South will be £500k+ houses. We need to have whole estates built specifically for rental. Whether they are flat-packed or built by Chinese is irrelevant.

Problem is as a Housing Association, you build an estate with 50 houses and 450 flats purely for rent, the current rent controls - which are actually coming down by 1% pa over the next four years - only allow a certain percentage of those properties to be rented at market rent. Affordable rented and fair rented properties are significantly lower than the market rate. This could be as low as £300 a month for a one bed flat.

At rental prices an estate that size would take over 60 years just to pay back the construction costs, let alone managing them and the carrying out the required maintainence.

• Options

Are you Jim Davidson??
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Greenie said:

So when the article refers to them being modular, constructed offsite, quick, cheap and transported to their final destination it's not an ingenious variation on that very efficient Chinese food innovation we all love so much, the takeaway ? Damn, I thought it was too good to be true. I'm not buying any now.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    We are led to believe that modern materials and build standards are light years away from what went before. IF this build can clear planning before the 22nd Century, then I suspect this this is the way to go for socially rented housing.
  • Options

We are led to believe that modern materials and build standards are light years away from what went before. IF this build can clear planning before the 22nd Century, then I suspect this this is the way to go for socially rented housing.

Completely agree. We seem to look down our noses at anything that isn't brick built in this country but the truth is we have a mass shortage of housing stock and something needs to be done quickly. Unfortunately I suspect that even as good as these homes may be planning controls and bureaucracy will hold back any potential these may have.
  • Options
    Wasn't Ronan Point prefabs constructed offsite and bolted together on site ? What's different ?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    This is great news.

Everything here is proper top quality, nothing breaks, ever.
  • Options

Greenie said:

So when the article refers to them being modular, constructed offsite, quick, cheap and transported to their final destination it's not an ingenious variation on that very efficient Chinese food innovation we all love so much, the takeaway ? Damn, I thought it was too good to be true. I'm not buying any now.
    Given the amount of thought you put into that answer you can have the point.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Given the amount of thought you put into that answer you can have the point.
    Thank you. Can I keep the flag ? I'm collecting them
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Addickted said:

The problem with house building is that it HA developments are almost entirely off the back of new build for sale. A new development project will have 15-20% affordable tucked away at the back of an estate, which in the South will be £500k+ houses. We need to have whole estates built specifically for rental. Whether they are flat-packed or built by Chinese is irrelevant.

Problem is as a Housing Association, you build an estate with 50 houses and 450 flats purely for rent, the current rent controls - which are actually coming down by 1% pa over the next four years - only allow a certain percentage of those properties to be rented at market rent. Affordable rented and fair rented properties are significantly lower than the market rate. This could be as low as £300 a month for a one bed flat.

At rental prices an estate that size would take over 60 years just to pay back the construction costs, let alone managing them and the carrying out the required maintainence.

I have no visibility on returns for HA rentals but I do know that affordable housing is sold at a (small) profit by construction companies - I worked at one for 5 years. Your 60 year scenario would put the rental of a one bed flat in Greater London at about £250 per month which is frankly nonsense. I doubt £300 is ball park. Can a renter comment?
    This also ignores the savings to be made if councils use their own land rather than sell it off.
  • Options

Wasn't Ronan Point prefabs constructed offsite and bolted together on site ? What's different ?

Ronan Point was a tower block.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2514000/2514277.stm

My late father attended the incident.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Let yourself down there

You too, Greenie

It's not hard to see that that form of humour stopped being acceptable at some point in the 80s. If you can't see that, then that's on you, too.

Would I be right in saying you couldn't understand why Ron Atkinson got the boot from TV and thought Gray and Keys were hard done by?

Respect people who still have that mentality as relics from the past but am afraid that to function well in the modern world you'll have to update your perceptions a bit.

You patronising arsehole.
    Why on earth would I care about your opinion?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ibborg you wrote this thread off far too early
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    One client is working with developer who's plan is to build homes for sale at 10% above cost.

Anyone can buy them but when they sell they can only be sold at the original price plus wage inflation due to a covenent that also prevents renting.

So they stay affordable to those on low wages and aren't of interest to speculaters or investors only people looking for a home.

Might work. He still makes a profit, housing stock increases, house price inflation reduced.
  • Options

One client is working with developer who's plan is to build homes for sale at 10% above cost.

Anyone can buy them but when they sell they can only be sold at the original price plus wage inflation.

So they stay affordable to those on low wages and aren't of interest to speculaters or investors only people looking for a home.

Might work. He still makes a profit, housing stock increases, house price inflation reduced.

What's to stop them buying the cheaper units and renting them out at a market rate and getting a presumably increased yield ?

As for selling, sit on them long enough and that problem would no doubt get challenged and go away
  • Options

Anyone can buy them but when they sell they can only be sold at the original price plus wage inflation.

I don't pretend to know very much about this but building dwellings that have a life expectancy of thirty years seems like a cheap fix to a serious problem. I'm convinced it will help but medium to long term ?

We probably need an expert on these types of builds to inform of just how long they will last in any sort of decent condition.

• Options
    Won't happen anytime soon, they're still at the planning stage:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Macronate said:

Won't happen anytime soon, they're still at the planning stage:

Oops, it will be no time at all before Henry and co will be on your case Mac......I give it no more than 15 minutes tops!

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm glad someone got offended by the Chinese takeaway joke. It means we can never expect to read about the British having shit teeth and enjoy queuing, the French surrendering, the Germans putting towels down early, Koreans eating dogs, Irish being pissheads, Americans being fat and relating anything Indian to curry on here ever again.