Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese state owned construction firm signs £2.5b deal to build modular homes in UK

124»

Comments

• Options

I'm glad someone people got offended by the Chinese takeaway joke. It means we can never expect to read about the British having shit teeth and enjoy queuing, the French surrendering, the Germans putting towels down early, Koreans eating dogs, Irish being pissheads, Americans being fat and relating anything Indian to curry on here ever again.

Charlton fans being anaraks...oh
  • Options

I'm glad someone people got offended by the Chinese takeaway joke. It means we can never expect to read about the British having shit teeth and enjoy queuing, the French surrendering, the Germans putting towels down early, Koreans eating dogs, Irish being pissheads, Americans being fat and relating anything Indian to curry on here ever again.

Is it genuinely beyond people to consider that stereotypes might be offensive to the person being stereotyped?
  • Options

This is no way to curry favour with fellow lifers.
  • Options
    I hope everyone's going to toughen up a bit tomorrow night.
    We can't all burst into tears at the first cutthroat gesture or being called a muggy trainspotter c*nt.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Is it genuinely beyond people to consider that stereotypes might be offensive to the person being stereotyped?
    so are you saying to make sure we don't accidentally offend anybody we should only use one finger when writing posts instead of one finger on each hand to avoid stereotyping ?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me how soft people are these days.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

so are you saying to make sure we don't accidentally offend anybody we should only use one finger when writing posts instead of one finger on each hand to avoid stereotyping ?
    Two elephants and a snake fall out of a tree.....ba boom tssss!
  • Options
    There isn't one single example or type of stereotype, there is a spectrum.
    There may be at one end 'all Englishmen wear bowler hats', and much nearer the other end 'all black people are lazy and stupid'.
    To a varying extent stereotypes on the one hand are a very clumsy attempt to make sense of the world and on the other hand denying the individuality and variety of people.
    As the late Jo Cox said, there is more that unites us than divides us and in my view stereotypes do more to divide than to innocently categorise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

Am i offending you by touch typing? :p
  • Options
    Am I offending anyone touching myself whilst typing?
  • Options

Am I offending anyone touching myself whilst typing?

Dunno, are you still on the train?
  • Options

Am I offending anyone touching themselves whilst typing?

No. if anything you're helping
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

He's not offended though. He's just making a point of being high and mighty to gain lefty points.

• Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

McBobbin said:

He's not offended though. He's just making a point of being high and mighty to gain lefty points.

I know most people are only piling in here because of the Argument Alert thread and didn't even bother to read the original post but the poster who was offended is actually of the ethnicity the racist post was targeting, and if I were that person I'd be very hurt that several of my fellow Addicks thought that this kind of thing was acceptable or funny, especially given our club's proud history of fighting racism.
    I'v been on Xmas do. Joined after seeing argument alert. I always come on just as the teacher puts a point up that makes us all look at ourselves and stop giggling. Fiish, your a grown up let the kids play.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me how soft people are these days.
    Speak for yourself mate :wink:
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

McBobbin said:

I know most people are only piling in here because of the Argument Alert thread and didn't even bother to read the original post but the poster who was offended is actually of the ethnicity the racist post was targeting, and if I were that person I'd be very hurt that several of my fellow Addicks thought that this kind of thing was acceptable or funny, especially given our club's proud history of fighting racism.
    TBF I grew up in Eltham in the 70s and 80s and felt plenty worse than LTGTR's original comment. I had hoped this type of 'humour' had disappeared but that was naive of me. I was offended to some degree but not to the extent I want to spend hours arguing the point. There's worse crap in this world right now (Duchatelet for one thing) and being a football supporter you got to accept that there is a wide spectrum of fans. I don't have to agree with all of them and vice versa but I do know that we cheer together when Charlton wins and get peeved when we lose. And that will have to do. Let's just leave the race narrative here and get back the topic of pre-fabs on this thread.

LLLBH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

McBobbin said:

TBF I grew up in Eltham in the 70s and 80s and felt plenty worse than LTGTR's original comment. I had hoped this type of 'humour' had disappeared but that was naive of me. I was offended to some degree but not to the extent I want to spend hours arguing the point. There's worse crap in this world right now (Duchatelet for one thing) and being a football supporter you got to accept that there is a wide spectrum of fans. I don't have to agree with all of them and vice versa but I do know that we cheer together when Charlton wins and get peeved when we lose. And that will have to do. Let's just leave the race narrative here and get back the topic of pre-fabs on this thread.

LLLBH
    I don't think that this measured and adult approach is fair for any of us who came here off the back of the argument alert thread. This is far too adult a way to close this out. There'll be a lot of disappointed posters waking up to this this morning
  • Options

Addickted said:

The problem with house building is that it HA developments are almost entirely off the back of new build for sale. A new development project will have 15-20% affordable tucked away at the back of an estate, which in the South will be £500k+ houses. We need to have whole estates built specifically for rental. Whether they are flat-packed or built by Chinese is irrelevant.

Problem is as a Housing Association, you build an estate with 50 houses and 450 flats purely for rent, the current rent controls - which are actually coming down by 1% pa over the next four years - only allow a certain percentage of those properties to be rented at market rent. Affordable rented and fair rented properties are significantly lower than the market rate. This could be as low as £300 a month for a one bed flat.

At rental prices an estate that size would take over 60 years just to pay back the construction costs, let alone managing them and the carrying out the required maintainence.

I have no visibility on returns for HA rentals but I do know that affordable housing is sold at a (small) profit by construction companies - I worked at one for 5 years. Your 60 year scenario would put the rental of a one bed flat in Greater London at about £250 per month which is frankly nonsense. I doubt £300 is ball park. Can a renter comment?
    This also ignores the savings to be made if councils use their own land rather than sell it off.
    Housing Associations generally don't have land banks - they tend to purchase land to develop.

And just like nearly everybody, HAs borrow money to construct new properties - which means interest.

Granted there would be service charges on top of the rental, but I left out the ongoing management, maintenance, servicing, H&S, insurance, estate and social costs.

I'm also aware of several Southern HAs who have a £75 per week cap on their one bedroom accommodation - believe it or not, not everyone lives in Greater London.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

The problem with house building is that it HA developments are almost entirely off the back of new build for sale. A new development project will have 15-20% affordable tucked away at the back of an estate, which in the South will be £500k+ houses. We need to have whole estates built specifically for rental. Whether they are flat-packed or built by Chinese is irrelevant.

Problem is as a Housing Association, you build an estate with 50 houses and 450 flats purely for rent, the current rent controls - which are actually coming down by 1% pa over the next four years - only allow a certain percentage of those properties to be rented at market rent. Affordable rented and fair rented properties are significantly lower than the market rate. This could be as low as £300 a month for a one bed flat.

At rental prices an estate that size would take over 60 years just to pay back the construction costs, let alone managing them and the carrying out the required maintainence.

I have no visibility on returns for HA rentals but I do know that affordable housing is sold at a (small) profit by construction companies - I worked at one for 5 years. Your 60 year scenario would put the rental of a one bed flat in Greater London at about £250 per month which is frankly nonsense. I doubt £300 is ball park. Can a renter comment?
    This also ignores the savings to be made if councils use their own land rather than sell it off.
    Housing Associations generally don't have land banks - they tend to purchase land to develop.

And just like nearly everybody, HAs borrow money to construct new properties - which means interest.

Granted there would be service charges on top of the rental, but I left out the ongoing management, maintenance, servicing, H&S, insurance, estate and social costs.

I'm also aware of several Southern HAs who have a £75 per week cap on their one bedroom accommodation - believe it or not, not everyone lives in Greater London.
    95% of the Notting Hill Housing Trust (Who own properties across London) homes I worked in, were town house conversions or ex council houses / flats.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Wasn't Ronan Point prefabs constructed offsite and bolted together on site ? What's different ?

Ronan Point was a tower block.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2514000/2514277.stm

My late father attended the incident.
    Not very interesting fact but little Bournemouth Addick was a matter of 2 weeks away from taking up residence in the sister block shown in that article. In fact the collapse of Ronan Point woke up my slightly older sister who thought the war had started up again.

Yeah, I know I come across as so much younger on here...
  • Options
    Well this has all become rather boring again.