Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darts

Comments

• Options
    Smith needs to see a sports psychologist. The misses were one thing (and I do appreciate that he needs to play his way and at his speed) but in the latter stages he was throwing like a very average pub player. He wasn't giving himself any chance to compose himself and think about how he might change the flow of the match. Consequently he was beaten much earlier than that final leg and if he carries on doing that he will continue to get the same result.
    Ridiculous statement! 
    I will confess that I know nothing about darts but out of interest how many major tournaments has Smith won and has he made many finals before?
    I am not a stat man, i know he has won floor events but not on TV. However this year is the best Michael Smith we have seen. He used to struggle on the doubles, pre-final he had 48% and showed the composure in other thrillers. So i do not agree with your statement at all fwiw, its a final and the big moments went Wrights way. He has been there and done it and it showed, also the last two sets he was as perfect as you could be to close out any final. 

He is only 31, MVG took a while(probably not as long if i remember correctly) before he finally came through. If he can take the postiives and use it to spur him on, i will be backing Smith to win next year if he can keep the form going it will come sooner rather than later in my opinion. Premier league? I would actually put money on him to win any TV event next year. 
    I wish you and Smith well with that. And I accept that 31 isn't old but the reason I asked whether he had won many major tournaments and/or been in finals was to get a handle on that and how he had fared in them.

I actually turned on at 5-4 oblivious to what had happened in the game previously. But from watching that 10th set it was obvious that Smith believed that he was beaten. When he was throwing first in a leg he gave himself limited opportunities to win the leg (which he then missed) but, more to the point, he never kept up with Wright when he threw second - I think Wight was on 132 in one leg after nine darts and Smith was still on 285.

The point I was trying to make was, whilst Wright found his mojo late on, Smith was not putting any pressure back on Wright because he was so consumed by the situation. Smith plays at his pace and when things are going well he is probably unstoppable but he has to find a way of dealing with things when they aren't. And I have personally seen how sports psychologists can help in such situation even if it's something as basic as breathing techniques.

Sport is littered with great players who cannot get themselves over the line because when they get in that situation they start to think about the possibility of winning the tournament or the consequences of failure. There isn't one sportsman that has been successful that doesn't get nervous but the best ones develop coping mechanisms. One of the biggest culprit in not winning the number of majors he should have done in golf was Greg Norman who would regularly bottle his final round. He won 91 titles but only two majors in his career. This is from an article about Norman and his issues:

At the far end of confidence is hubris, and as the game’s premier player, Norman was arguably ill-prepared for those occasions when things went awry. In recent years Norman has acknowledged he could have benefited from working with a sport psychologist to better deal with those stressful Sundays.

“During my career, when I first started playing the game, sport psychologists weren’t part of your team,” he says. “But if I had the ability to trust someone to give me advice or help me with my attitude, damn right I would have been a better player.”

What Norman needed help with most was his “contingency management”—knowing how to react when your first plan falls apart. The sport psychologist Jonathan Fader’s analogy was knowing to take a different route to work when your usual route is blocked.

“The idea is, you’ve got to have a plan for when things go wrong and you’re faced with challenges,” Fader says. “The way I work with people is, I say we’re preparing for excellence. But you’re always going to have unwanted outcomes, so if you’re prepared for them, you’re going to arrive at the quickest path to recovery.”

By the time Norman entered his 40s, it was apparent contingency management was a skill he needed. Although the ’96 Masters was his most dramatic collapse, he has always maintained that the loss to Mize in ’87 was more devastating. It’s the major that had him weeping on the beach outside his Florida home at 3 a.m., the one he has said took four full years to get over. The climactic sequence came on the second playoff hole, the 11th, with Norman’s ball safely on the green, and Mize off near the 12th tee after missing his approach right. One hundred and 40 feet away, Mize thought he had to get down in two to have any chance of extending the playoff. Norman was pretty sure he wouldn’t. Instead, Mize holed the chip to win outright.

“That’s the one that gutted me most because I thought I was in total control,” Norman says some three decades later. “And that’s something I talked to my kids about. I explained to them if you think you’re in total control, expect the unexpected. When everything looks great, look for trouble.”

So, all I am saying is that if this has been an issue for Smith or continues to be in the future then he should get help. Winning is as habit forming as losing is - Taylor and MVG (who I have just looked up and won his first WC at 24 and has now won something like 40 PDC Premier events and is still only 32) are proof of that - but you have to find a way of doing it without realising you've done it if that makes sense?

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Oh and I do laugh at people who think it's funny that sportsmen (and that is what Smith is), especially those that are in one to one match situations, should need to speak to a psychologist. I never knew Charlton Life had so many successful tittle winners. 

And I've now discovered from reading The Telegraph article on the final this:

For Michael Smith, who must fear never realising his bountiful potential, they were tears of despair. A sixth defeat in as many major finals. It had happened yet again.

The main concern was whether 31-year-old Smith’s frequent afflictions would again surface. Cast as a nearly-man, the odds on him extending his terrible record in major finals plummeted within half an hour of the start, by which point he was already 2-0 down and in possession of just two wholly irrelevant legs to show for his early efforts.

The only other time Smith contested a world final in 2020, he broke his non-throwing hand after punching a toilet door in frustration when 3-0 down during the match and was later unable to hold his runner-up trophy aloft. On this occasion a quiet word with himself had cataclysmic consequences.

Note the word "fear" - the fear of both success and failure. 
    "I got five sets in this time instead of three but losing these finals is doing my head in now," said Smith. If that and the tears afterwards isn't an indication that he needs help then I don't know what is and I really hope he does see an expert because, if he does, I absolutely guarantee he will come back an even better player. A major winner in fact.

• Options
    Should be the current world top 10: price, Wright, Clayton, Wade, Smith, Anderson, van gerwen, Sousa, van den Bergh, cross. Nobody outside of top 10 deserves a place and it'll be a farce if one or two of those miss out to the likes of Sherrock or Barney. Only potentially justified inclusions outside of top 10 would be Rydz or Humphries.
  • Options
    @Addick Addict makes a good point about Smith and the speed he throws at. A couple of people on here yesterday correctly called that as a factor and how if Wright slowed the game down it would suit him so much more. 

When Smith was hammering in big scores and throwing instinctively he was winning and winning well, but like a boxer who is dangerous early if the opponent can weather the storm and stay in the fight it makes for a really tight bout and a battle of who can hold their nerve. Smith has to learn to take a breath especially when things aren't going all his way, darts matches are won on hitting doubles and Wright was taking his time and lining them up whereas Smith, especially towards the end was still throwing fast on instinct. If he can learn to slow his game down or at least learn to cope when someone else slows the game down he will be a real force 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/lS8hJm2n9Zc

it does happen elsewhere not that I agree with it 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    @Addick Addict makes a good point about Smith and the speed he throws at. A couple of people on here yesterday correctly called that as a factor and how if Wright slowed the game down it would suit him so much more. 

When Smith was hammering in big scores and throwing instinctively he was winning and winning well, but like a boxer who is dangerous early if the opponent can weather the storm and stay in the fight it makes for a really tight bout and a battle of who can hold their nerve. Smith has to learn to take a breath especially when things aren't going all his way, darts matches are won on hitting doubles and Wright was taking his time and lining them up whereas Smith, especially towards the end was still throwing fast on instinct. If he can learn to slow his game down or at least learn to cope when someone else slows the game down he will be a real force 
    That is just how he throws, he often messes up when he tries to slow down. Its like saying to Ronnie O Sullivan (not really) but i dont think his pace will stop him, it might not help in the pressure situations which might have been AA original point.

Just look how Michael Smith has been for years, this year and in particular the worlds he has shown alot more composure. He has sorted out his doubles, although he started off very poor on the doubles its not helped by that early leg when they both had 7 darts on doubles, they both had very similar percentages too. Darts is alot about key moments and unfortunately that part was not there, Wright would reply 180 to his one or hit a ton out at the right time. 

Yes that wasn't the same Michael Smith that had played the whole tournament, and nerves/ winning could be a factor in that. It probably didn't help he came up against probably the worst person to play, Peter Wright is clinical, been there before and plays a bit slower so can upset his rhythm. 

Back to the drawing board, maybe he does need a sports psychologist, maybe he doesn't? he will know more than anyone. Ultimately if he keeps getting too finals, its only a matter of time in my opinion. I am very happy to bet on a TV title next year £100 if anyone wants to match it? I like my side, but its not to say its an easy task, the standard is higher than ever with the youngsters coming through on top of the top 10 etc. all capable of winning and clicking into gear.  
  • Options
    The game of darts deserves a lot of credit for being so competitive and compelling. Players in general just seem to get on with it.
  • Options
    Its nothing like saying that to Ronnie O'Sullivan, mainly because he keeps winning major titles but also because Ronnie understands the importance of sports psychology and has embraced that for at least the last 10 years

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Gutted that Smith didn't win, think he is going to be like one of my other favourites from a few years back, Terry Jenkins, who made a few finals but lost most if not all the major ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Its nothing like saying that to Ronnie O'Sullivan, mainly because he keeps winning major titles but also because Ronnie understands the importance of sports psychology and has embraced that for at least the last 10 years

In fairness, i did contradict myself immediately. My main point is its his natural game. I do think that players who throw as quick as him eg. Evans, Van Der Voort to name a couple are more volatile. However Smith looks on the right path to me from the outside point of view, not to say there isn't a psychological barrier. Any sportsman, will always have that battle until they win that first title. Look at Clayton before he won one on the big stage he looked like he wasn't quite there, as soon as he won one he has won a few big ones the last year. 

For me, its just a matter of time. Once he wins that big one on TV, even if its UK open/Premier league then he will be the man to beat (well unless MVG gets back to his top game). All about opinions i suppose, but maybe its a slight bias on my part but he will win the big one at some point, probably multiple times. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Love that

Bring back Phil Taylor i say :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Love that

Bring back Phil Taylor i say :wink:
    It's still England 18 wotw 10.

If Phil Taylor was a country its him 14 everyone else 14....:smile: 
  • Options
    Smith needs to see a sports psychologist. The misses were one thing (and I do appreciate that he needs to play his way and at his speed) but in the latter stages he was throwing like a very average pub player. He wasn't giving himself any chance to compose himself and think about how he might change the flow of the match. Consequently he was beaten much earlier than that final leg and if he carries on doing that he will continue to get the same result.
    Ridiculous statement! 
    I will confess that I know nothing about darts but out of interest how many major tournaments has Smith won and has he made many finals before?
    He made one final before and been the best player in this tournament, but with like most single player sports, momentum is key. He had a poor start but had the mental capability to bring it back and actually lead. Then Wright used his experience and lethal ability to close to take the lead. Smith is only 31 which is not much in dart years. His average throw score is fantastic he just didn’t hold his usual finishing standard. His time will come.
    As I say. I didn't switch over 'til he was winning 5-4 but the poor start is a replication of what he did, as I read from The Telegraph article when he bust his non throwing hand in the toilet after being 3-0 down - probably a reflection of how overwhelmed he was going into both finals. Then we have the what I call "the shit or bust" phase which gets him back in the game and the confidence to play as he can. But, then as we near the finishing line, it is that all consuming feeling that he's an habitual "first loser" that takes over.  

Smith is clearly a very good darts player. But he isn't a winner - yet. He probably just needs to start visualising the darts going where he wants them to go when in those pressure situations. People like Taylor and MVG may or may not have used a sports psychologist and if they haven't it's probably because they already had a "track to run on". Smith doesn't possess that as evidenced by the fact that, according to his Wiki page, he's played in 90 ranking events now and reached the final in seven of them. If he carries on playing like that then he will, potentially, get what he's always got.

Smith also says that he says he's going straight back to practising. The irony is that he probably doesn't need to do that because his basic game is a sound one. It's visualising himself as a tournament winner that is the issue. What's he got to lose by paying for a few sessions with a psychologist. He's just won £200,000 for coming second so things aren't that bad!

• Options
    Ridiculous statement! 
    He made one final before and been the best player in this tournament, but with like most single player sports, momentum is key. He had a poor start but had the mental capability to bring it back and actually lead. Then Wright used his experience and lethal ability to close to take the lead. Smith is only 31 which is not much in dart years. His average throw score is fantastic he just didn’t hold his usual finishing standard. His time will come.
    As I say. I didn't switch over 'til he was winning 5-4 but the poor start is a replication of what he did, as I read from The Telegraph article when he bust his non throwing hand in the toilet after being 3-0 down - probably a reflection of how overwhelmed he was going into both finals. Then we have the what I call "the shit or bust" phase which gets him back in the game and the confidence to play as he can. But, then as we near the finishing line, it is that all consuming feeling that he's an habitual "first loser" that takes over.  

Smith is clearly a very good darts player. But he isn't a winner - yet. He probably just needs to start visualising the darts going where he wants them to go when in those pressure situations. People like Taylor and MVG may or may not have used a sports psychologist and if they haven't it's probably because they already had a "track to run on". Smith doesn't possess that as evidenced by the fact that, according to his Wiki page, he's played in 90 ranking events now and reached the final in seven of them. If he carries on playing like that then he will, potentially, get what he's always got.

Smith also says that he says he's going straight back to practising. The irony is that he probably doesn't need to do that because his basic game is a sound one. It's visualising himself as a tournament winner that is the issue. What's he got to lose by paying for a few sessions with a psychologist. He's just won £200,000 for coming second so things aren't that bad!

I am sorry but nearly a lol, but i wanted to give you a bit of respect for your comments, also each to their own i guess.

You are making an argument based on the end game, for a start so you didn't see him coming back into it and the shifts in momentum. Also at the very end the last two sets Wright was unreal, thats such a tough basis to state Smith hasn't got the end game. I do understand what you mean, but i disagree completely, he dipped and that happens as its such a long final and they both played the day before so it can be draining to stick to your A game. 

I agree with the bottom part, he clearly doesn't need as much practice but sometimes that is just what you need. Everyone learns differently and with there being no event until the end of the month what else can you do? Maybe a week / 2 weeks off and back on it? although he probably wants to play to get in a good mindset ready for the next one. Just a good work ethic, can never be a bad thing and try to get to that next level. 
  • Options
    P.S. I am not related to Smith and he isn't even one of my fave players for balance
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Don't think any actual darts fan cares about the nationality of the player.

Also, isn't the getting battered song referencing off field activities?
  • Options
    He was 5-4 up and 2-0 with the darts so two great opportunities to go 6-4 up and like a Charlton player through on goal he just couldn't finish 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carter said:

I called it when he played Callan Rydz who also goes off like a train.
    Wright used all his experience and slowed the game down. Smith walked into the same trap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ridiculous statement! 

I am sorry but nearly a lol, but i wanted to give you a bit of respect for your comments, also each to their own i guess.

You are making an argument based on the end game, for a start so you didn't see him coming back into it and the shifts in momentum. Also at the very end the last two sets Wright was unreal, thats such a tough basis to state Smith hasn't got the end game. I do understand what you mean, but i disagree completely, he dipped and that happens as its such a long final and they both played the day before so it can be draining to stick to your A game. 

I agree with the bottom part, he clearly doesn't need as much practice but sometimes that is just what you need. Everyone learns differently and with there being no event until the end of the month what else can you do? Maybe a week / 2 weeks off and back on it? although he probably wants to play to get in a good mindset ready for the next one. Just a good work ethic, can never be a bad thing and try to get to that next level. 
    But the proof of the pudding is that he has no "end game". It's the reason he's lost seven out of seven finals and the odds of someone of his ability doing that are rather big. It is at that very point that he feels most under pressure. He even used the words last night "it's doing my head in". And the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing in the hope that you get a different result. Some sportsmen get there by themselves. Others need help doing so. If it worked for Jonny Wilkinson, David Beckham, Ronnie O'Sullivan etc etc then I'm sure that there's no harm in him giving it a go. The tears and post match confession suggest he is really struggling with coping with what he perceives is failure.

Talent alone might only get you so far. Emma Raducanu had a complete melt down at Wimbledon because the whole situation she was in was foreign to her. She would have sat down afterwards with someone and rationalised the whole thing which then would have helped her to win the US Open. That said, she has the confidence of youth at 18 and not a succession of final defeats. That's the major difference between her and Smith.

And as I say - what has he got to lose by having a couple of sessions with a mind expert? It's not the physical side of things that was the reason he played so poorly in those final few sets.
  • Options
    Ridiculous statement! 

But the proof of the pudding is that he has no "end game". It's the reason he's lost seven out of seven finals and the odds of someone of his ability doing that are rather big. It is at that very point that he feels most under pressure. He even used the words last night "it's doing my head in". And the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing in the hope that you get a different result. Some sportsmen get there by themselves. Others need help doing so. If it worked for Jonny Wilkinson, David Beckham, Ronnie O'Sullivan etc etc then I'm sure that there's no harm in him giving it a go. The tears and post match confession suggest he is really struggling with coping with what he perceives is failure.

Talent alone might only get you so far. Emma Raducanu had a complete melt down at Wimbledon because the whole situation she was in was foreign to her. She would have sat down afterwards with someone and rationalised the whole thing which then would have helped her to win the US Open. That said, she has the confidence of youth at 18 and not a succession of final defeats. That's the major difference between her and Smith.

And as I say - what has he got to lose by having a couple of sessions with a mind expert? It's not the physical side of things that was the reason he played so poorly in those final few sets.
    However good you are in practice it's how you deal with pressure that gets you over the line. This is particularly evident in sports such as darts, snooker and golf where nerves play such a part.

I can't see the harm in using a sports psychologist if you're struggling to hit your best in finals - it sometimes is a mental thing and nothing to do with ability. 
  • Options
    I have said previously, he could do with a psychologist or he might not. We don't know his proper mental state, how he performs might be the 'proof in the pudding' but in the latest example i have said you have focused on one part where he came up against it literally. Yes he struggled, but i personally give Wright the credit rather than Smith throwing it away. Sometimes there isn't much you can do if the other player hits a few key shots, at the right times. 

Agree he has had the opportunity before this, however in my opinion he is a much better player than his last World final in 2019. That performance i would completely agree he needs some help. He still might, i am no expert and it can't be a bad thing if he did get help.. just makes me laugh the example in question, also from the outside someone knowing his mental state. 

Who knows? He could even have got help in the past as he has come on alot from his last 7 finals or maybe its trial and error and he's gradually finding something or the experience.    
  • Options
    Carter said:

I called it when he played Challan Rydz who also goes off like a train.
    Wright used all his experience and slowed the game down. Smith walked into the same trap.
    Not sure what Smith could have done to avoid that 'trap'. Wright isn't the quickest player but he did nothing last night that anyone could call gamesmanship. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I have said previously, he could do with a psychologist or he might not. We don't know his proper mental state, how he performs might be the 'proof in the pudding' but in the latest example i have said you have focused on one part where he came up against it literally. Yes he struggled, but i personally give Wright the credit rather than Smith throwing it away. Sometimes there isn't much you can do if the other player hits a few key shots, at the right times. 

Agree he has had the opportunity before this, however in my opinion he is a much better player than his last World final in 2019. That performance i would completely agree he needs some help. He still might, i am no expert and it can't be a bad thing if he did get help.. just makes me laugh the example in question, also from the outside someone knowing his mental state. 

Who knows? He could even have got help in the past as he has come on alot from his last 7 finals or maybe its trial and error and he's gradually finding something or the experience.    
    I might have focused on that part but it isn't the only issue I've mentioned is it? He's started very badly in both WC Finals. His psychological state, as a result of being 3-0 in the last one, caused him to smash his non playing hand in the last one. That isn't the action of a sportsman who is control of his emotions and knows his game. I've also just read that the two players had the worst leg of the entire World Championships. That isn't about a lack of ability - it's about a lack of focus and allowing nerves to take over.

As I say he came back into the game yesterday because he probably reached that moment where he has nothing now to lose. But then, as he got nearer to the winning line he reverted to that thinking about the ultimate goal rather than concentrating on one dart at a time. I've had a lot of experience of this as I've witnessed it at first hand - in tennis, table tennis and cricket. The first two in many match situations and the latter in losing concentration at vital times either because of thinking too far ahead or because of external distractions.

I also see that Smith has now admitted what went on "I was trying. I never wanted to give up and the emotions just took over at the end. I'm getting used to these setbacks." He's allowing his emotions to get the better of him and is now resigned to be a losing finalist. That is his mindset. He needs to find a way of changing that.
  • Options
    Ok expert, shall leave it there. I have made many points but you seem to know better, all about opinions so as i say each to their own. 

I agree to some extent it wouldn't harm him, but also we dont really know his personal state. The last two sets from Wright not sure how anyone could have stopped that, also would affect anyone whether its their mental game or not... 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Carter said:

Not sure what Smith could have done to avoid that 'trap'. Wright isn't the quickest player but he did nothing last night that anyone could call gamesmanship. 
    Sorry. Trap was probably the wrong word. The pace of Wright seemed to frustrate both Rydz and Smith ,but if anything they could have learned a thing or two from it.
    Smith especially looked like he needed to compose himself better when throwing for the many bullseyes he missed.
  • Options
    I am not sure what Smith averaged in the last 2 sets but I’ve been a pub player for 35 years and would bet that 99% of the players I’ve played with and against can only dream of performing how Smith did in those 2 sets.
    the current season London superleague top 3 dart average is 85 and the current top county 3 dart average is 90. They are the elite of the pub/club players.
    An average pub player would be lucky to remain standing if they were playing on stage under the conditions last night.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I am not sure what Smith averaged in the last 2 sets but I’ve been a pub player for 35 years and would bet that 99% of the players I’ve played with and against can only dream of performing how Smith did in those 2 sets.
    the current season London superleague top 3 dart average is 85 and the current top county 3 dart average is 90. They are the elite of the pub/club players.
    An average pub player would be lucky to remain standing if they were playing on stage under the conditions last night.
    Set 11: 
    Average: Smith 105.92 , Wright 112.73 
    Checkouts: 0/2 Smith (alot of doubles lol) Wright 3/3 100% 

Set 12:
    Average: 104.12 Smith, 113.58 
    Checkouts: 1/2 Smith 50%, 3/4 Wright 75%

So that basically backs up my comments, in the last two sets where he appears off, he averaged above 100 and Peter Wright stepped up, created more openings. 

Following where he could have gone 6-4 up, so clearly went off the boil :)

Edit: link for set by set scores if anyone wanted to check https://www.flashscore.co.uk/match/YwbnUyDn/#match-summary/match-statistics/12
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Carter said:

Sorry. Trap was probably the wrong word. The pace of Wright seemed to frustrate both Rydz and Smith ,but if anything they could have learned a thing or two from it.
    Smith especially looked like he needed to compose himself better when throwing for the many bullseyes he missed.
    I would agree with that and any outsider would have been shouting to Smith 'slow down'. I just don't think he can.