Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever Charlton manager?

13»

Comments

• Options
    bellz2002 said:

Yep Powell won his first 4 then I think he lost 4 in a row? Either way, Karl has done worse obviously.

I think worst starting run was Parky who didn't win first 8 games in charge as caretaker on the way to a record breaking 18 games without a win. Did in remember right?

Yep. I've been looking into this for the MK Dons preview I'm writing for CAS Trust, and Parkinson's the only other manager not to win any of his first 5 games in charge. Before that, you have to go back to Mike Bailey in 1980, 16 managers ago.
  • Options
    We will soon be approaching the 1.5 point requirement for survival.

Time to bury the hatchet Roland and get ya man Riga out of his box.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think he's a bit of an idiot for falling for the bullshit from Meire at the beginning and trying to defend the board but I won't judge him on his actual managerial ability working with this god awful squad yet.

Bringing in a footballing manager to deal with Slade's squad of average (or below) grafters and will take a while to gel although with our transfer dealings he probably won't ever get the squad he wants regardless.

Ultimately he's a proven football league manager and is qualified for the job unlike Roland or Meire so I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt until they are gone.
  • Options

Ross_cafc said:

It's a tough gig for him - do you play a system that you don't believe in to cater to the poor players you've inherited or do you try to get them to play in a system that you believe will be more successful, give the better players some time to get used to it and bring in players in January to replace those who aren't good enough/can't adapt? Not sure we can really judge him yet. The gutless performance is likely more on the players than him - no manager is going to send a team out with the instruction to play half-arsed - as adult professional athletes, they fundamentally chose whether they graft or not.

To force a system on a group of players who are incapable is madness

Use a new system from the start of the season when you can train and recruit all summer accordingly.

For now he simply has to assess what he has and play a system to best suit.

Seems so obvious
    I'm not for one second blindly defending him, just trying to put myself in his position. No ones knows what goes on in training and behind the scenes so all we can do is speculate.

Most coaches have a preferred style of playing/a system or two that they passionately believe in as part of their philosophy. Coming in to a new role a few weeks away from a transfer window, if he can see that a few additions will get him the system to play how he believes to be successful and in the meantime, can start to mold the ones who are in his plans into hat system then, in my mind he's doing the right thing.
    We didn't have a particularly successful (or entertaining) brand of football that he's dismantling - so maybe his mantra is that if it takes a few weeks to get it right (plus a transfer window), the longer term benefits over the remainder of the season might be worth it.
    4231 and 433 both massively rely on team cohesion and understanding of the system - so if a couple aren't up to it, it doesn't work for anyone. IF he's able to bring in a couple of players that can play how he wants to, maybe it'll look different.

Not defending him, just my view of what might be happening based on interviews etc.
    It's maybe a risk vs reward scenario - do you limp forward with a system that maybe suits your current squad better but certainly wasn't producing amazing results, or risk sacrificing a few results to get the ones that are capable used to how you want to play and supplement the missing pieces in January believing that wI'll be the option with the greatest points return come the end of the season.

• Options
    Let's face it, we could have Sir Alex Ferguson as our manager and he wouldn't be able to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. The problem is right at the top of the food chain and until Duchatelet has gone, we will never make progress. We're on a rollercoaster but I, for one, am not enjoying this bumpy ride #RolandOUT MeireOUT
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Ross_cafc said:

It's a tough gig for him - do you play a system that you don't believe in to cater to the poor players you've inherited or do you try to get them to play in a system that you believe will be more successful, give the better players some time to get used to it and bring in players in January to replace those who aren't good enough/can't adapt? Not sure we can really judge him yet. The gutless performance is likely more on the players than him - no manager is going to send a team out with the instruction to play half-arsed - as adult professional athletes, they fundamentally chose whether they graft or not.

Use a new system from the start of the season when you can train and recruit all summer accordingly.

Seems so obvious
    I'm not for one second blindly defending him, just trying to put myself in his position. No ones knows what goes on in training and behind the scenes so all we can do is speculate.

Most coaches have a preferred style of playing/a system or two that they passionately believe in as part of their philosophy. Coming in to a new role a few weeks away from a transfer window, if he can see that a few additions will get him the system to play how he believes to be successful and in the meantime, can start to mold the ones who are in his plans into hat system then, in my mind he's doing the right thing.
    We didn't have a particularly successful (or entertaining) brand of football that he's dismantling - so maybe his mantra is that if it takes a few weeks to get it right (plus a transfer window), the longer term benefits over the remainder of the season might be worth it.
    4231 and 433 both massively rely on team cohesion and understanding of the system - so if a couple aren't up to it, it doesn't work for anyone. IF he's able to bring in a couple of players that can play how he wants to, maybe it'll look different.

Not defending him, just my view of what might be happening based on interviews etc.
    It's maybe a risk vs reward scenario - do you limp forward with a system that maybe suits your current squad better but certainly wasn't producing amazing results, or risk sacrificing a few results to get the ones that are capable used to how you want to play and supplement the missing pieces in January believing that wI'll be the option with the greatest points return come the end of the season.

The problem is, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if he brings a few players in to fit a system he wants to play then mid January he gets the boot because the results don't pick up. Then we are left with a new manager with players fitting a system he might not like, and thus we are in the same situation again.

From my point of view a good manager should be able to assess what he has, find a system that works for them, and drill the players on said system. We are short in midfield, it's been that way since the start of the season, but we still have a team/squad that is capable of doing better than we are. I know the players have to take some responsibility themselves, but I feel a bit sorry for them because in the last three years they've had manager after manager coming in and trying to get them to play differently each time. They never settle on a particular system so they never fully get to know each other on the pitch.

Robinson is making a lot of the January signings, but if things don't change fast after bringing some players in, he may not make it to February and we'll have O'Loughlin in charge to see out the rest of the season.
  • Options

He's inherited a shite team . A truly gutless shite team. I can only properly judge him when he has his own players. ( if the players he gets in are his own)

In Kevin Nugent's three game spell he got this same group,of players performing pretty well.

It seems to me that something is seriously wrong with the players, or the players are not happy working with Robinson. Or maybe the players that he is looking to replace in January have all thought "fuck it" why should I bother.

Whatever the reason this season is looking to be a complete disaster.
    It could get worse?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

Ross_cafc said:

Seems so obvious
    This, this and this.

He knows perfectly well that it's not working with this group.

He probably knew that as soon as he came in and saw that we didn't have a number 10, don't have a decent CDM, system doesn't suit Ajose and our best winger is injured. But yet he's played the same shite for 5 games.

I'd love to see how he sees it at training.

Fair enough if he wants to get players in in January to suit his system. But for now, just play what suits them. The man is a fool.
    I think he's trying to be everybody's friend - like he was for 6 years at MK franchise. The fans seem to have quickly gone by the wayside. The players: think he'll do a good cop, bad cop routine. The douchebag: who knows? I doubt very much if they understand a single word the other one says. Huh. He's gone from a big fillet 'o' fish in a small pond to a small fish in a tsunami. But he knew what he was getting into, so no sympathy here
  • Options
    Just a matter of time before he's replaced by Congo Chris. Then the fun really begins.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Robinson could turn out to be rubbish, average or great, it's too early to say.

I do think he's trying to get the team to play in a way that doesn't suit them.

However, Sheff U H 2nd, Bradford A 4th, Peterboro H 6th & Millwall A 10th. Realistically were always going to be tough.

We got 2 points & if I'm honest that's not as bad as people are making out.

Sheff U are the form team in the division, so one point was decent.

Bradford are 4th. So an away point is decent.

Millwall A is a straight loss, always has been.

So Peterboro at home was the only real disappointment.

We've not beaten a team who are currently in the top 11 this season. Bristol R currently 12th are the best placed team that we've beaten.
  • Options
    Sheffield United was Nugent and we were half decent against a inform team.
    If we had won the cup game against a team below us and our manager knew well I would have more sympathy. But we only scored 1 goal in 220mins against them.
  • Options

However, Sheff U H 2nd, Bradford A 4th, Peterboro H 6th & Millwall A 10th. Realistically were always going to be tough.

We've not beaten a team who are currently in the top 11 this season. Bristol R currently 12th are the best placed team that we've beaten.

Say it with me:

"Top 6 budgie"
  • Options

He's inherited a shite team . A truly gutless shite team. I can only properly judge him when he has his own players. ( if the players he gets in are his own)

Hurray to sensibility at last.
  • Options

In Kevin Nugent's three game spell he got this same group,of players performing pretty well.

It seems to me that something is seriously wrong with the players, or the players are not happy working with Robinson. Or maybe the players that he is looking to replace in January have all thought "fuck it" why should I bother.

Whatever the reason this season is looking to be a complete disaster.
    It could get worse?
    O'Loughlin being appointed will see this message board explode!
  • Options
    He'll be first team coach though with Katrien as director of football.

Which will be good :(
  • Options

Ross_cafc said:

Ross_cafc said:

Seems so obvious

The problem is, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if he brings a few players in to fit a system he wants to play then mid January he gets the boot because the results don't pick up. Then we are left with a new manager with players fitting a system he might not like, and thus we are in the same situation again.

From my point of view a good manager should be able to assess what he has, find a system that works for them, and drill the players on said system. We are short in midfield, it's been that way since the start of the season, but we still have a team/squad that is capable of doing better than we are. I know the players have to take some responsibility themselves, but I feel a bit sorry for them because in the last three years they've had manager after manager coming in and trying to get them to play differently each time. They never settle on a particular system so they never fully get to know each other on the pitch.

Robinson is making a lot of the January signings, but if things don't change fast after bringing some players in, he may not make it to February and we'll have O'Loughlin in charge to see out the rest of the season.
    Most of the players haven't been here for the last 3 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Millwall were below us before we played them.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Ross_cafc said:

Ross_cafc said:

Seems so obvious

Most of the players haven't been here for the last 3 years.
    I didn't say they had. Even the ones that have only been here a year have seen 4 managers - Fraye, Riga, Slade, and now Robinson.
  • Options
    Fraeye by a country mile
  • Options

Fraeye by a country mile

Yes but Fraeye failed at a higher level. Although he probably would have failed at any level.
  • Options

Millwall were below us before we played them.
    We could be Champions League winners, and still lose to Millwall!

KR needed a nice easy game at home to get his first win, and get the players and fans to believe in him. As it hasn't happened, he's now looking desperate for that first win. I suspect he's regretting not really going for it in the FA Cup. A comfortable win against MKD would have got his reign off to a positive start
  • Options
    I find it hard to look beyond Pardew, even with what has followed. Thinking purely of the missed opportunity to get back into the Prem just as the really serious money was starting to roll in, he wasted money on signings which you knew at the time were extremely poor. He spent the same on veteran striker Andy Gray and league two's Izale McLeod as Wolves did on Ebanks-Blake, Kightly and Jarvis...who fired Wolves to the Premier League.
  • Options
    To be fair to Pardew, he did nearly keep us in the Prem so he doesn't quality as the worst.

I agree with others on Fraeye. Just how any owner of a club could put that man in charge is beyond me! Also what is more hilarious is that Fraeye kept hanging on whereas other, better managers had shorter bad runs and got the sack.
  • Options
    Fraeye makes Pardew look like Pep.
  • Options
    Even then, whilst he did ultimately improve our chances of staying up, I can remember thinking he made some decisions with selections and during games which cost us and allowed us to slip back into the relegation zone. The April home draws with Sheff Utd and Reading especially.

After the Wigan win it looked like we could stay up but he couldn't keep it going.

Pardew is a bit of a nearly man. Southampton progressed once he'd gone, he was nearly on the verge of doing something at times with Newcastle. Even West Ham only went up through the play-offs.

Spot on re: Fraeye. Luzon and Peeters got sacked when arguably doing better jobs. As did Slade. Giving him the job was like the comparative of taking a manager from the Ryman Division One South and expecting him to be a success in the 5th best league and probably the most competitive league in the world