Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Andy Murray

Wow just heard Andys to be knighted, I love tennis and think the guy has been brilliant for the sport, certainly the best British tennis player in my lifetime, but isn't he a bit young to be knighted, and wouldn't it have been better doing it when he retires?

Comments

• Options
    Better that he is knighted than given an award 3 times for his personality.
  • Options
    The honours system is a joke anyway... Even Murray said he wasnt bothered about getting the title when asked a while back.

For Sportsmen should only happen long after they retire or will an 18-year old be knighted if England were to win the World Cup one day?
  • Options
    Seems its Sir Mo Farah now too
  • Options
    And Ken Dodd....
  • Options
    Victoria Beckham OBE
  • Options
    Mbe for some bloke in the tiddly winks
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

For being an average footballer or for being an attractive 'celebrity' that posed in underwear?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    It would make more sense if Murray was knighted at the end of his career, but hey, I've been cynical about the honours system for years.
    Having said that I am delighted for Ray Davies, a personal hero of mine.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

For being an average footballer or for being an attractive 'celebrity' that posed in underwear?
    For being a footballing icon, a national treasure and raising literally hundreds of millions for charity. And Murray hits a bouncy ball with a piece of wood with some strings attached.
    Ok, I'll change my opinion slightly. He doesn't deserve one for services to sport because he really wasn't that good at football. He's a good player but we'll be knighting 50 footballers every season if people at the level of Beckham get them.

He deserves one for his UNICEF work, so services to charity and not football.
  • Options
    I agree Sir David Beckham is overdue. For all he's done both in and outside football.

Sir Andy Murray makes sense as he's achieved more than any other British tennis player (hope I'm right on that one).

Happy for the others too. Think David Bowie should get posthumous one but did I read that he turned down honours in the past?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

For being a footballing icon, a national treasure and raising literally hundreds of millions for charity. And Murray hits a bouncy ball with a piece of wood with some strings attached.
    "Footballing icon" ?

Not sure about Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time in my opinion, but it does seem like something that should be given out after he hangs up his racket.
  • Options
    Murray definitely deserves it for what he's achieved, though it seems a bit odd for someone still playing to be knighted. Will he be called Sir Andy at Wimbledon next year?

• Options
    So it's now sir miserable old trout
  • Options
    I dont think he gives a toss about this sort of recognition but I can imagine the bogus indignation if he turns it down.

Too soon IMO and just a distraction from what he does.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't the cycling boys get theres during their career and still continue to succeed?

IMO it a way of the country to say thank you for doing what your doing and your achievements are class. I don't think it'll affect his performance in any way.
  • Options
    sm said:

I doubt he'll bother to attend the Palace in any case, he'll get one of the Royals to drop it off at his training camp or somewhere more convenient.
  • Options

sm said:

I doubt he'll bother to attend the Palace in any case, he'll get one of the Royals to drop it off at his training camp or somewhere more convenient.
    Like so many before him, he will be there and he will love every minute of it. Give the bloke a break - he's won plenty for GB.
  • Options

sm said:

Makes sense, he's working hard so they should come to him.
  • Options

Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
    That song she did with Dane Bowers........

Apparently it's services to fashion

• Options

Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
    Services to pouting and looking miserable in photos.
  • Options
    Sir Don McCullin, Sir Antony Beevor and Sir Ray Davies.

Three of my favourites. Congrats to them all.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

Ok, I'll change my opinion slightly. He doesn't deserve one for services to sport because he really wasn't that good at football. He's a good player but we'll be knighting 50 footballers every season if people at the level of Beckham get them.

He deserves one for his UNICEF work, so services to charity and not football.
    He doesn't deserve a knighthood for services to football (well, there was probably about 40million people would have given him one just for the free kick against greece) however to say he wasn't really that good at football is one of the funniest things I've read on here.
    He was quality, no arguments.
    You don't play for Milan, Manutd, Madrid, PSG, if you ain't that good.
    Listen to pros speak about him, he could do stuff they could only dream of.