Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Andy Murray

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

For being an average footballer or for being an attractive 'celebrity' that posed in underwear?
    For being a footballing icon, a national treasure and raising literally hundreds of millions for charity. And Murray hits a bouncy ball with a piece of wood with some strings attached.
    Ok, I'll change my opinion slightly. He doesn't deserve one for services to sport because he really wasn't that good at football. He's a good player but we'll be knighting 50 footballers every season if people at the level of Beckham get them.

He deserves one for his UNICEF work, so services to charity and not football.
    He should get it for services to sport... He has inspired millions to play football, set up the David Beckham academy and is probably the most recognised sportsman ever... Hes my cousins favourite ever footballer, my cousin is 5, Becks has left a legacy. A knighthood should be for exactly what it is said to be for... It's services to sport, not being good at sport
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

For being an average footballer or for being an attractive 'celebrity' that posed in underwear?
    For being a footballing icon, a national treasure and raising literally hundreds of millions for charity. And Murray hits a bouncy ball with a piece of wood with some strings attached.
    Ok, I'll change my opinion slightly. He doesn't deserve one for services to sport because he really wasn't that good at football. He's a good player but we'll be knighting 50 footballers every season if people at the level of Beckham get them.

He should get it for services to sport... He has inspired millions to play football, set up the David Beckham academy and is probably the most recognised sportsman ever... Hes my cousins favourite ever footballer, my cousin is 5, Becks has left a legacy. A knighthood should be for exactly what it is said to be for... It's services to sport, not being good at sport
    this is getting ridiculous - Beckham was a decent player, he wasn't world class, and as for most recognised sportsman ever ? Behave yourself, Ali for starters and I'd imagine Messi and Ronaldo easily surpass him worldwide.
  • Options
    Sir Andy is no less deserving than the likes of sir Bradley Wiggins
  • Options
    se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

this is getting ridiculous - Beckham was a decent player, he wasn't world class, and as for most recognised sportsman ever ? Behave yourself, Ali for starters and I'd imagine Messi and Ronaldo easily surpass him worldwide.
    I'd put him on par... He think that you are hugely underestimating how big Becks was in Asia. I went to Thailand the year he signed and everyone had a Beckham shirt on, and not just kids. He was/is a superstar and epitomises the Real Madrid galacticos
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

I'd put him on par... He think that you are hugely underestimating how big Becks was in Asia. I went to Thailand the year he signed and everyone had a Beckham shirt on, and not just kids. He was/is a superstar and epitomises the Real Madrid galacticos
    Just to be clear - you think David Beckham is a more widely recognised sportsman than Muhammed Ali ?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

1. Millions of kids already were playing football in England. If Beckham wasn't around their idol would be someone else, there has been no surge of kids suddenly picking up football due to Beckham.

2. The David Beckham academy accomplished what exactly? Open for 4 years and then shipped off to America.

3. I'd say the legacy Beckham has left in sport is minimal. What did he really accomplish in the UK? Nothing that Michael Owen or about 50 others did too.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

Just to be clear - you think David Beckham is a more widely recognised sportsman than Muhammed Ali ?
    Without a doubt... as I said he is my 5 year old cousin's favourite player, he's never seen him play. I highly doubt he knows of Ali
  • Options
    Plus pretty much every female in the world knows who Becks is by face
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2016
    se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

I'd definitely say he is.

Much of that is down to how easily accessible celebrities have become in the past 15 years but I've got no doubt more people in the world will know Becks over Ali!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For Sportsmen should only happen long after they retire or will an 18-year old be knighted if England were to win the World Cup one day?

Would be the best disgrace ever.
  • Options

Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
    Definitely not services to entertainment.
  • Options
    I am not a tennis fan, but give the global & competitive nature of tennis, Andy Murray has to be one of the best British sports stars of all time.
  • Options
    My mate Clive got an OBE, that's good enough for me... :+1:
  • Options
    Bit early ? .. I personally would prefer that these stars were ennobled after their career was over .. but there it is ..
    I'm waiting to hear plummy Clare Balding .. 'now it's Sir Andrew Murray serving from the far end' .. only in Britain ((:>)

anyway .. he deserves it for improvement and consistency .. nice to see that Mo was also knighted
  • Options

Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
    Definitely not services to entertainment.
    For making sure that David remembers to put on his trousers and brush his teeth before he goes to meetings.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

se9addick said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

I reckon that Beckham is more recognised the world over than Ali, by a country mile
  • Options

My mate Clive got an OBE, that's good enough for me... :+1:

My mates uncle Joe did an all
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Becks should be first

I think you'll find that's carbon fiber or some other high-tec material, not wood. I get your point though. If we didn't have Wimbledon, would the country care about tennis at all?

I'm not sure what made Beckham a national treasure, was it the semi-articulate interviews, being quite good but not brilliant at football, or going out with Victoria Beckham? (I have no axe to grind with Beckham, and I've heard from someone who knows him socially that he's a really nice, down-to-earth, bloke.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Badger said:

Victoria Beckham OBE

What for?
    Probably services to the British fashion industry, for her clothing range. Or perhaps for services to charity. I'd think you should be able to find out on a government website.
  • Options
    Just to be clear @se9addick and @Ormiston Addick.

IMO Ali, in his field, is the biggest and best sportsman of all time, but because of the world being a smaller place over the last 15-20 years, I think Becks is more recognisable than Ali the world over.
  • Options

IMO Ali, in his field, is the biggest and best sportsman of all time, but because of the world being a smaller place over the last 15-20 years, I think Becks is more recognisable than Ali the world over.

Fair enough. My belief is if you showed every person in the world a picture of Becks and a picture of Ali and said "who is that man" more people would be able to identify Ali than Becks, although the entire operation would be really expensive and probably not worth it just to answer this question.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Fair enough. My belief is if you showed every person in the world a picture of Becks and a picture of Ali and said "who is that man" more people would be able to identify Ali than Becks, although the entire operation would be really expensive and probably not worth it just to answer this question.
    We better get started then, my Mrs knew Becks first and then Ali second and she knows less about sports than an Amazonian Tribes woman yet undiscovered by the civilised World
  • Options

se9addick said:

We better get started then, my Mrs knew Becks first and then Ali second and she knows less about sports than an Amazonian Tribes woman yet undiscovered by the civilised World
    Ah, but my Mrs is an Amazonian Tribes woman yet undiscovered by the civilised World and she knew Ali first, but admitted that Becks has better hair.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    As much as I like Andy Murray and applaud his massive achievements
    No sportsman should be honoured in this way, leave the honours to real people doing important things, you know Soldiers, surgeons the regular Joe who raises millions for charity, not the tarts who just do sport!
    It's a joke.
    Also don't get me started on Hoy for what? The debacle that was London 2012 and Wiggins (hmmm, hopefully the full truth will come out now he's retired)
  • Options
    I think in his prime Ali was most famous sportsman of his time but this was at a time without the web, social media, 24/7 tv coverage and fewer sporting icons. I believe Beckham would be more recognisable worldwide now.

There again Kim Kardashian would be more recognised today than say Marilyn Monroe is.