Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Both Denly and Northeast pass 1000 runs for the season
  • Zac Crawley averages 19 in the KCL...
  • Kent 369-8

Stevens 60 from 45 so far.
  • 386 all out a lead of..... 1 run
  • edited September 2017
    As this season meanders to a disappointing end in my view only four players can hold their heads up high. In no particular order Denly, Northeast, Rouse and Stevens. I include Rouse because he is the number two yet played as a number one when selected both behind the stumps and with the bat. The records of the other three speak for themselves.

Coles is 27 now and, given his undoubted ability not sure if it can still be described as potential at 27, he should be producing rather better figures than he has done both with bat and especially ball. Dickson had a marvellous day at Beckenham but was fairly ordinary otherwise. D B-D was disappointing but is hopefully young enough to come again. As for Gidman what a contrast between the last few games of 2016 and the first half of 2017! The beneficiary, Tredwell, has been largely conspicuous by his absence one wonders why. Friction behind the scenes perhaps or something else. Billings too can be considered a disappointment given his supposed status. Big Mitch Claydon is willing but past it sadly in my view.

Am I fair or am I harsh?

• Glos 109-3

All 3 wickets to fall this morning to Stevo.

Heading for a draw unless they declare and our batting implodes.
  • LenGlover said:

As this season meanders to a disappointing end in my view only four players can hold their heads up high. In no particular order Denly, Northeast, Rouse and Stevens. I include Rouse because he is the number two yet played as a number one when selected both behind the stumps and with the bat. The records of the other three speak for themselves.

Coles is 27 now and, given his undoubted ability not sure if it can still be described as potential at 27, he should be producing rather better figures than he has done both with bat and especially ball. Dickson had a marvellous day at Beckenham but was fairly ordinary otherwise. D B-D was disappointing but is hopefully young enough to come again. As for Gidman what a contrast between the last few games of 2016 and the first half of 2017! The beneficiary, Tredwell, has been largely conspicuous by his absence one wonders why. Friction behind the scenes perhaps or something else. Billings too can be considered a disappointment given his supposed status. Big Mitch Claydon is willing but past it sadly in my view.

Am I fair or am I harsh?

I think you are pretty spot on
  • 156-4 at lunch
  • Sponsored links:

• Contrived run chases.

Good or bad?
    Fair or unfair on other teams in division?

• Don't you daaaaaare
  • 214-7

a 4th wicket for Stevens
  • This is when they start to get runs as we go into the tail?

As said @LenGlover , this has been a desperately por season in the end, and it all started relatively well. I actually saw a game this year (the twenty20 against Hants) and while I wouldn't judge anyone on one fairly one sided thrashing, it felt as if what I saw was indicative of the whole summer bar the first couple of championship matches. Stevens is having to carry too much weight, and we badly need a better performance from a number of the players. All very sad, as we seem to be settling into life in the second tier, while Essex who beat us to promotion last season are now champions. Kent and Charlton - what a combination :-(
  • 249-8

5 wickets for Stevens
  • This is when they start to get runs as we go into the tail?

As said @LenGlover , this has been a desperately por season in the end, and it all started relatively well. I actually saw a game this year (the twenty20 against Hants) and while I wouldn't judge anyone on one fairly one sided thrashing, it felt as if what I saw was indicative of the whole summer bar the first couple of championship matches. Stevens is having to carry too much weight, and we badly need a better performance from a number of the players. All very sad, as we seem to be settling into life in the second tier, while Essex who beat us to promotion last season are now champions. Kent and Charlton - what a combination :-(

Yes I was at that Hampshire game too. The target we set was never going to be enough.

I also saw a day of the county championship match against Durham where again, Northeast and Yasir Shah excepted, our batting was woeful. Paul Collingwood completed a century prior to our innings and the Durham tailenders, unsurprisingly, all comfortably got into double figures so conditions were not bad. We were just poor.
  • Miles of promotion now with Wors and Northampton both winning
  • Glos 294-9 declared

Match drawn
  • Sponsored links:

• As has been said above by Len and Ken (or should it be Ken and Len?) some of our players have flattered to deceive this season:

Take out Dickson's 318 and he barely averages 25 and DBD's 545 runs @ 27 (with no ton to his name) simply isn't good enough. Tredwell's season figures of 66-11-228-3 are ordinary to say the least (Denly's 66.2-11-228-7 is testament to that). Bringing in Shah really only served to reinforce the Club's belief that Tredwell isn't up to it in the longer form of the game.

Coles thinks he's made it but he's going backwards (32 wickets at over 40 a time as opposed to Stevens' 56 at less than 18) and Claydon should now really only be used as back up for T20s. For whatever reason, Gidman is very much the forgotten man but nothing like as much as Riley (who has actually been bowling well for the 2nds and in the Kent League).

The Billings situation needs to be sorted and in some respects it would be no bad thing if he does decide to jump ship - at least we will then have a keeper in Rouse who is committed to the cause as opposed to being drinks' carrier for England, the IPL, Big Bash etc etc.

The really worrying thing though is that we don't actually seem to have players who are putting pressure on those in the first team. Crawley as a batsman and Qayyum as a spinner are promising but that is all and beyond that, what is there? I can't see that we have any fast bowlers coming through hence our reliance on imports such as Milne, Parnell and Harris.

Too many players have become content in their own mediocrity for too long. And a change in that attitude has to come from the first team right the way down to the age group sides. This is a cultural thing and it really is time that we changed that culture.
  • Just to follow up. That was my first twenty20 match. I thought it was crap. Bypassing the one sided nature of the match, I found a lot to dislike. The worst were those daft fire pots everytime a 4, 6 or wicket occured. FFS. You take a wicket, you don't need a puff of fire to emphasize. Music between overs and wickets. Really really unnecessary. And crap choice. For a fair bit of time, I was peering at the match over the heads of people who were facing the wrong way
    I'm over 50 so I was bought up on the John Player league, the Gillette cup and county championship. But I can live with a quick fire version of the game- I own a playstation so the idea of quick cricket isn't too bad. But tge silly marketing stuff? Not for me thanks. If I want that stock car racing hype, that's where I'll go. And I doubt the fire enhanced other Kent fans enjoyment of Hants smashing the ball all over the ground either.

• Fast-bowling all-rounder Grant Stewart could make his first-team debut in the Specsavers County Championship against Derbyshire at Chesterfield on Tuesday (10.30am).

The 23-year-old signed his first professional contract last month and earns an opportunity to impress after taking 29 wickets for the second XI and another 30 for Sandwich Town in the Shepherd Neame Kent Premier League.

Kent’s new number nine said: “This is the first time I’ve been involved with a professional set-up and everyone has been really welcoming and helpful, but they’ve also helped me to develop my bowling.

“Growing up I was more of a batsman but it’s my bowling that’s come on more in recent years.

“When you’re coming through the junior ranks talent gets you some of the way, but it’s working on plans and the mental side of the game with guys like Matt Walker, Min Patel and Mark Ealham that has helped me the most.

“Mitch and Darren Stevens have chipped in too and the more you bat and bowl the better you seem to get.”

Pacemen Mitch Claydon, Matt Coles and Adam Milne are rested so there could be an opportunity for Stewart, Will Gidman and Matt Hunn.

Academy scholar Ollie Robinson travels as cover for wicketkeeper Sam Billings.

The hosts will be without captain Billy Godleman who suffered a broken hand at Hove last week. Ireland batsman Gary Wilson will lead the side on his return from international duty.

Leg spinner Imran Tahir returns to action for Derbyshire after playing for the World XI in Pakistan last week.

Derbyshire squad: 10 Luis Reece, 26 Ben Slater, 77 Wayne Madsen, 18 Alex Hughes, 20 Matt Critchley, 2 Callum Brodrick, 9 Gary Wilson (c), 16 Harvey Hosein (wk), 28 Tony Palladino, 7 Hardus Viljoen, 44 Will Davis, 25 Harry Podmore, 75 Hamidullah Qadri, 99 Imran Tahir.

Kent squad: 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 58 Sean Dickson, 6 Joe Denly, 17 Sam Northeast (c), 7 Sam Billings (wk), 16 Zak Crawley, 3 Darren Stevens, 42 Will Gidman, 25 Calum Haggett, 9 Grant Stewart, 15 James Tredwell, 11 Imran Qayyum, 14 Matt Hunn, Oliver Robinson.
  • edited September 2017
    Looks like we're experimenting now which is reasonable now the season is dead so I hope Stewart plays.

However why Gidman again all of a sudden and why bring Tredders back now the season is dead? Might as well play Riley at this stage. The damage is done!
  • I umpired Stewart last season when he was at HSBC and he's OK. Must admit I thought he was an Aussie!
  • Pedro45 said:

I umpired Stewart last season when he was at HSBC and he's OK. Must admit I thought he was an Aussie!

He is! Aussie born, now has British passport etc

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/kent-snap-up-stewart-131328/

Wet outfield at Chesterfield, so play delayed until after lunch
  • Pedro45 said:

I umpired Stewart last season when he was at HSBC and he's OK. Must admit I thought he was an Aussie!

No play at all today.
  • LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

No play at all today.
    The literal and metaphorical rain cloud that has followed Kent around these last few weeks...
  • No play again today, despite there being no rain for 36 hours
  • No play before lunch STILL wet outfield!