Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2007 - Cutty Sark on Fire (2012 - reopened)

Greenwich at a standstill.

Just in case anyone travels through there.

Comments

• Cutty Sark DLR shut, but the rest of it running (apparently).
  • edited May 2007
    Its such sad news. They say it maybe arson :-( Shame they cant catch the person who may have done this and burn the ******.

They will replace it with appartments for new london types.
  • very sad!
  • i'm absolutely gutted. it is one thing that reminds me of my granddad when i was a little kid. being in the navy and everything i would go down there and the HMS belfast at least once a month with him.

really upset.
  • could see the smoke from my bedroom window.

why would anyone want to burn down such a great historical boat?

i'm just hoping there is somehting they can salvage.

the foot tunnel is closed as is the park. Blackheath was busy too.
  • looking at the latest pics from Sky its just ashes :-( nothing salvagable
  • they are saying that 50% of the boat/parts of the boat were not on site as they were being restored elsewhere.
  • According to BBC website, damage isn't as bad as feared:
    [cite]Chris Livett, Chairman of Cutty Sark Enterprises[/cite] "We had removed 50% of the planking, so 50% of the planking wasn't on site and that's safe and secure. "And from where I stand there is not a huge amount of damage to the planking that was left on. "There are pockets of charred planking and some have gone, but it doesn't look as bad as first envisaged."
  • I am the same as WSS, Grandad used to take me there every sunday as a nipper, i was totaly gutted this morning, felt like a death in the family, totaly devasted a great loss, will never be the same again, the great craftmanship put into a wonderful vessal,
  • It's whether the iron-work is damaged or not that's the real concern....
  • Sponsored links:

• its awful news, my mrs told me about it and i was pretty gutted. If it was arson, then whoever did i hope die a painful death.
  • Gutted that was probably one of the central focal point of Greenwich great bit of history one of the fastest tea clippers of its time.

I'm with the others if it is arson then the little sh*t should be touched and see how they like it.
  • lucky it wasn't a new boat...
  • I'm sure they'll be doing a roaring trade in burnt bits of boat before long.
  • awful news and if it was arson they should have the key thrown away, it's just one of those places that is not only representative of our great heritage and naval supremacy but also for the memories of thousands of people
  • Absolutely awful news.......

Loved the Cutty Sark, loads of Childhood memories.......
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Absolutely awful news.......

Loved the Cutty Sark, loads of Childhood memories.......
    Seems like quite a few people are like this, very sad indeed.

Mum just rang me in tears actually because it reminded her of her dad so much. tossers whoever done it.
  • Dreadful news.

If the imbeciles wanted to torch something why not choose the dome instead?
  • edited May 2007
    This is truly awful news. I was quite shocked when I heard. As some of the Lifers know, and it was mentioned in the Sheff Utd programme, I sponsored one of our fans Kevin Cockram for the recent London Marathon who was running on behalf of the Trust.

There is a link for donations if anyone is interested:

http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/
  • Absolutely gutted, I was born in greenwich - It's always been my favourite place in the world (tied with the valley)

people who do such a thing need help, serious help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah, like shooting...........
  • very sad...always had great childhood memories of the Cutty Sark...whenever I come home I always take my kids down there for a photo. Hope they can restore it.
  • Absolutely gutted. Hopefully the main iron frame has not been damaged to bad. Been going there since I was a little kid and for the last two years have been working on a photography project of the ship. Who ever did it is scum.
  • anyone else watch the restoration programme last night?

makes you immensely proud to be from the area
  • I did. fantastic
  • Great program looking forward to seeing her in her new floating dock looks great
  • When is it due to be back and floating? In time fort he Olympics?
  • all they said was sometime in the spring this year.

really looks something special but then they did spend £50m on it
  • anyone else watch the restoration programme last night?

not for all the tea in China.
    She is looking good but fifty million is a lot on an empty cargo ship. Visiting as a kid i thought it was really boring, no pirate stuff or guns etc.

• Very intresting program it was in a real state before the renovations I can't believe the public were allowed on!