Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2007 - Cutty Sark on Fire (2012 - reopened)

2»

Comments

• Options
    when you consider that this goverment spends that sort of dough on foreign paintings then in my opinion it's well worth it
  • Options
    when you consider that this goverment spends that sort of dough on foreign paintings then in my opinion it's well worth it
    and Chelsea spent that on Torres.

• Options
    My missus asked me whether it was worth it in the current climate and got much the same answer. I'd happily have spent twice as much on her. A true thing of beauty forever linked to our history. On a personal level I also spent many happy hours on and around her with my grandfather as a nipper and together with The Valley she will always make me remember those times.

1 x Cutty Sark = 2/3's of an Olympic opening ceremony = money well spent!

• Options
    Saw this thread at the top and though, "Jeez, not again!"

Why resurrect a thread from 5 years ago rather than start a new one?

Still, at least resurrecting it has highlighted some hysterical wide of the mark comments above demanding murder as "revenge".
  • Options
    Saw this thread at the top and though, "Jeez, not again!"

Why resurrect a thread from 5 years ago rather than start a new one?

Still, at least resurrecting it has highlighted some hysterical wide of the mark comments above demanding murder as "revenge".
    I thought exactly the same thing.

I never said this in my questionnaire, but if there's one change I'd make to Charlton Life it would be to make it more difficult to resurrect old threads when a new one would be better.
  • Options
    If your from Sarf London it was a sorta "right of passage" with your Dad. Cutty Sark---foot tunnel---Woolwich ferry.

£50 mill lot of dosh but somewhat less than the £1billion we give to India.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You made me remember me dad taking me from Catford to see her. She was all gray and wonderful - just like SE London
  • Options
    Saw this programme, will get there for the grand re-opening as my mother took me there as a 4 year old for the first opening.
    Good mix of engineering and history I thought.
  • Options
    Too true Ghater a right of passage. All those years ago what memeories. Hope to take my grandchildren there one day.
  • Options
    Wood shredder
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Rites of passage" ..... I think you mean?

;o)
  • Options
    For those that don't fancy watching that big shiny cup football game tonight (and, more likely for those with Sky+), there's a programme on BBC2 at 8pm about the re-opening.
  • Options
    For those that don't fancy watching that big shiny cup football game tonight (and, more likely for those with Sky+), there's a programme on BBC2 at 8pm about the re-opening.
    Alternatively, do as I did and enjoy the football and watch this today on iplayer..................................
  • Options
    or get out of the house instead of sitting in front of your tv or laptop and visit the Cutty Sark in its all glory!

buy tickets in advance and go and see it. its amazing.
  • Options
    or get out of the house instead of sitting in front of your tv or laptop and visit the Cutty Sark in its all glory!

buy tickets in advance and go and see it. its amazing.
    Going to take my son during the half-term. Not been for years and looked very impressive on TV. Along with the maritime museum and Greenwich park, all adds up to a great inexpensive and educational day out.
  • Options
    We went to see the Cutty Sark today was absolutely fantastic. The craftsmen who worked on this ship must have had the most job satisfaction an incredible job.
  • Options
    Its like Triggers broom now though.
  • Options
    Burnt down a couple of weeks after we were relegated from the Prem. Re-opens just as we get promoted - two phoenixes (is that the plural) at the same time
  • Options
    Its like Triggers broom now though.
    It always was. The reason so little original material got damaged by the fire was because most of it had been replaced in various refurbs since the 20s. That docu was fantastic, and ended with a well reasoned argument that replacing the upper deck with a modern solution was validated by the fact that's what would have been done with a working ship now. I think they'd done an excellent job on its refurb, it looks fantastic and they've enhanced the sense of history I think.
  • Options
    Did anyone else not think this was slightly suspicious at the time? Guarded site in a busy area, anything/everything that was valuable had been removed and placed into storage due to an expensive renovation and suddenly it gets burnt down. It sounds like an insurance job to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Except as you say everything of value had been removed. Not saying it wasn't dodgy, but it's more likely it was used to raise public donations and lottery funds, rather than insurance claims.