Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Taylor RIP

124»

Comments

• Options
    RIP Graham, a sad loss

A word for Elton John too to lose GT and George Michael within 2/3 weeks.
  • Options
    Just reading/watching all the news and tributes pouring in. A very popular and well respected man
  • Options
    RIP one of football's good guys
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Gutted to hear this news, what Graham did at Watford was incredible, and put them on the map.
    It would be like us losing Curbishley.

I remember when he was manager of Wolves, I think it was not lng after he got the boot from the England job ,the team were staying in the Marriott @ Bexleyheath, and due to play Charlton at the Valley, and I was living in Bexleyheath at the time, and went down to the playing fields at Hall Place in the morning to have a kick around , lo and behold Graham had the same idea, he was down their having a kick about with the Wolves team!

The funny thing was a Bexley ranger came along, and kicked them all off!

I shouted out to Graham, do I not like that , and proceeded to say to him he could bring the team round to my back garden if he liked for a kick about.

Being the gentlemen he was, he politely declined.

A top guy, who loved his footie, going to miss him.
  • Options
    Total respect RIP
  • Options

RIP a good man and manager who is a Watford legend.

Just hope The Sun can avoid any reference to turnips in their headlines tomorrow as he deserves better

They will pretend it never happened as usual Tim. Most of their readers don't care what happened last week, let alone what happened over 20 years ago.
  • Options
    I don't think Watford have been outside the top two divisions since he got them to the top flight many years ago now. You can take that with you Graham. You will never be forgotten at WFC. RIP.

My first game at the Valley was against Graham Taylor's Watford. 1984. FA Cup. We lost 2-0 and Watford went to the final that year.
  • Options
    That has made me very sad. RIP Graham. What a shock.
  • Options
    As others have said, proper football man and a sad loss to the game. I know he didn't have the 'success' that Bobby Robson did with England, but domestically he was a match and seems to have been just a nice a fella.

Liked listening to him on the radio, perhaps a bit old school in some of his ideas, but I always prefer to hear a pundit who has actually achieved as a manger rather than one who either didn't have the balls to try it or had a go and failed.
  • Options
    RIP. I'll always remember that documentary where everything he said was mimicked by Lawrie McMenemy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RIP. I'll always remember that documentary where everything he said was mimicked by Lawrie McMenemy

Phil Neal.

McMenemy's contribution was to bellow "Haway the Lads" every 15 minutes.
  • Options
    What he did a Watford was amazing. He played long ball but not like Wimbledon - He was adaptable and I think underated. The England job didn't suit him IMO. He has to go down as a great manager though and by all accounts a decent bloke.
  • Options
    Lovely story
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The Impossible Job is on Channel 4 tonight at 11.10pm for anyone who fancies it, I'm hoping it pops up on All4 afterwards as I'm more likely.to get a chance to watch it tomorrow!

One of the best football documentaries I've watched but I've not seen it in a while.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/how-to-watch-an-impossible-job-graham-taylor-england-documentary-film-channel-4-stream
  • Options
    The Impossible Job is on Channel 4 tonight at 11.10pm for anyone who fancies it, I'm hoping it pops up on All4 afterwards as I'm more likely.to get a chance to watch it tomorrow!

One of the best football documentaries I've watched but I've not seen it in a while.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/how-to-watch-an-impossible-job-graham-taylor-england-documentary-film-channel-4-stream
    Watching it now. I was at all the games in the group apart from San Marino away. England were awful in some of those games, Norway away was the worst England performance I’ve ever witnessed live. Met Taylor (and all the England team) in the departure lounge bar after Turkey away. Felt a bit sorry for him as although we’d won, you could tell he was uncomfortable being around England fans. Laurie McMenemy was never far from his side and appeared to be looking out for him. Had a chat and he was a genuinely nice guy.
  • Options
    2 things from that programme both stand out and piss me off. Why the hell wasn’t Koeman wasn’t sent off and the scene with the FA committee. Bunch of overpaid, self serving, under qualified dinosaurs. No wonder English football was in such a mess.
  • Options
    Met him at The Valley after he'd been doing a bit of punditry, nothing but complimentary about us, genuinely decent man who was so nice to have a 10 minute chat with. Did really have the impossible job. 
  • Options
    2 things from that programme both stand out and piss me off. Why the hell wasn’t Koeman wasn’t sent off and the scene with the FA committee. Bunch of overpaid, self serving, under qualified dinosaurs. No wonder English football was in such a mess.
    That still blows my mind, Platt, at the peak of his powers clean through and gets pulled down, if it isn't us going one nil up its Koeman getting sent off and then the blonde ponce goes up the other end and peels one in. 

I think that was the angriest I'd ever been over a football game until the the 5-1 shellacking at Tottenham, soon to be usurped by the 4 nil at the scum under parkinson 
  • Options
    I don't know what you mean. This young, up and coming, forward thinking lot? I'm sure a couple of them are asleep and a couple of others can't be a day under 80.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoroughly decent bloke. He made mistakes for sure but a lot of things conspired against him. A thoroughly decent human 

RIP