Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shooters Hill (ww 2)

I come across a service medal for the home guard, all my relatives of that age have passed away, I believe he was attached to the anti aircraft guns stationed on shooters hill, what I'm wondering is, can anybody recommend books and any listing of those who served, maybe a good website which is more specific to the area, the thing that caught my eye is a signed letter from a certain George VI thanking him for his bravery, thanks for any help in advance, jon.

Comments

• ask @Tom_Hovi and @SE7toSG3 They can bore on about give you their wealth of knowledge about WW2 as professional guides and try and flog you their books recommend some good titles to buy.

@Addickted pretends to know about the world wars but don't listen to him.
  • Thanks and apologies it's in the wrong section.
  • That looks an excellent starting point, and I'll be following up any leads I get, my uncle was a lifelong Charlton fan who loved the area, it seems a good time to try and find out what he was up to.
  • If you have not already seen the Time Team episode about WW2 Shooters Hill, here it is on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4J-iIrtVoc
    Not much about the anti-aircraft guns, but all good background material to what was happening there.
  • Thanks, amazingly it was on some TV channel today, I watched about the last two mins, can't wait to watch the whole thing and get started. Cheers.
  • A few years ago the BBC archeology programme Time Team did an episode on the AA defences located in Eaglesfield Park at the top of the hill. Also on the location of an anti tank gun which was located at the bottom of the hill where the old police station development now is. The foundations of the gun are still there although hidden by bushes.

Not sure how specific episodes are obtainable.
  • The anti-tank position to stop the first German tank is still there. So is the gap in the houses where the petrol drums were stacked. In the woods there are still the bases for spigot?? Mortars.
  • A few years ago the BBC archeology programme Time Team did an episode on the AA defences located in Eaglesfield Park at the top of the hill. Also on the location of an anti tank gun which was located at the bottom of the hill where the old police station development now is. The foundations of the gun are still there although hidden by bushes.

Not sure how specific episodes are obtainable.

Quite easy to locate :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi @jonseventyfive the medal would be interesting as the Home Guard were not awarded service medals but a certificate of appreciation. I would expect your relative was more likely a territorial or RAF VR chap in an anti aircraft unit. If you give me his name I will have a look to see if I can find anything on him and identify what he was up too. @Tom_Hovi as Ben suggests could know a fair bit about Shooter Hill in 39/45 War
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Hi @jonseventyfive the medal would be interesting as the Home Guard were not awarded service medals but a certificate of appreciation. I would expect your relative was more likely a territorial or RAF VR chap in an anti aircraft unit. If you give me his name I will have a look to see if I can find anything on him and identify what he was up too. @Tom_Hovi as Ben suggests could know a fair bit about Shooter Hill in 39/45 War

Good morning, as you can tell I know nothing, firstly can I just say I have a braininjury so i don't find research easy, Charlie Horace Kerslake is how I knew him but as for units I have no idea, he was a lifelong bachelor, I will look up date of birth/death.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Hi @jonseventyfive the medal would be interesting as the Home Guard were not awarded service medals but a certificate of appreciation. I would expect your relative was more likely a territorial or RAF VR chap in an anti aircraft unit. If you give me his name I will have a look to see if I can find anything on him and identify what he was up too. @Tom_Hovi as Ben suggests could know a fair bit about Shooter Hill in 39/45 War

Good morning, as you can tell I know nothing, firstly can I just say I have a braininjury so i don't find research easy, Charlie Horace Kerslake is how I knew him but as for units I have no idea, he was a lifelong bachelor, I will look up date of birth/death.
    I think I might have found him on the 1939 register (carried out on September 29th) living at Macoma Road Woolwich along with other Kerslakes. If he was he born in 31 May1908 I think I have the right man. Happy to find out more for you.
  • In later years I used to visit him in macoma rd, he loved fruit cake and very large brandies, and always moaned about giving Bonds away to cheaply. That's my uncle I just never asked him about the past, anything you find I would love to see.
  • What colour are the medal ribbons mate. Defence Medal should be Green(for Englands fields) Orange (for the fire of the Blitz) and Black Lines (for the Blackout) that would help
  • Hi, ribbon is faded, with spare faded black I think now grey almost silver, either side red fading to nearly a orange colour, also found ministry of defence letter dated 21 03 72 , but it doesn't really say much other than organising a presentation, I've also found a box/case marked imperial service medal, which I don't know makes it pretty common, but I'd still like to know what went on.
  • Maybe a royal engineer from 25-08-42 to 31-12-44. What little paperwork I have hasn't been kept very well, will go through it carefully on Sunday.
  • edited January 2017
    Thats the ISM ribbon Jon, its Red either side of a dark blue/grey. Its a civilian award for 25 years service to the country (Civil servants) it is awarded not given automatically so you should be proud. The medal itself will have the words 'for faithful service' on the back. It normally comes with a certificate as well.

It may not be directly connected to his war service.

It means he could have been Home Guard but there were also a number of Territorial Royal Engineer assets in an Anti Aircraft Brigade.

Leave it with me
  • That's lovely to hear, my wife has just gone out and she has been sifting through what we have as well, it's very nice of you to show an interest, no sign of a certificate as yet but I need to take a break, otherwise I wouldn't make the game tomorrow, thanks again Jon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi @jonseventyfive Sorry I've not been on here for a few days so have only just seen this thread. I think Clive's answered your medal query but happy to help with any specific Blitz/Home Front information you might need about the Shooters Hill area. Out of interest, the local Home Guard for the area were based at Shooters Hill Golf Club. I've got quite a lot of information on them.
  • Anti-Aircraft units were widespread in the area as you would imagine. Blackheath, Woolwich Common, Plumstead Marshes and Bostall Heath all had guns, balloons and even rockets for a short time.
  • Hi Tom, that all sounds fascinating, it's a long story but at 48 I've retired, and time on my hands, so I'm start looking into this. I wondered what Charles got up to for years and should have asked him when I had the chance.
  • That's the trouble, we always leave it too late. I was exactly the same with my Dad - 8th Army veteran but didn't ever ask him enough questions. I'll check to see if Charles was a Civil Defence worker in the borough as I've got that information.
  • That would be great, I literally don't know a thing, I was told years ago he did something in the war but as a kid it went over my head, clearing out my late fathers house I came across it. It might be nothing but I would like to know.
  • Looks as if

SE7toSG3 said:

I think I might have found him on the 1939 register (carried out on September 29th) living at Macoma Road Woolwich along with other Kerslakes. If he was he born in 31 May1908 I think I have the right man. Happy to find out more for you.
    Looks like I have the right Charlie! Ok here goes: The entries are all handwritten and some of the initials of their middle names are not 100% clear.
    The Occupants of no 93 were:

Samuel C? Kerslake dob 19/08/1881 Married Occupation: Boiler Maker Heavy Worker
    Beatrice C? Kerslake 14/10/1881 Married:Unpaid Domestic Duties
    Charles H Kerslake 31/05/1908 Single: Engineer Fitter Erector Heavy Worker
    May E Kerslake 24/10/1913 Single: Cable Makers' Clerk
    Albert E Kerslake 31/03/1915 Single: Cable Machinist Heavy Worker
    Doris C? Kerslake 18/08/1918 Single: Cable Machinist
    There is also another occupant but the name is blacked out - so they must have been born 1916 or later. As it is possible that someone born from 1916 onwards is still alive their details cannot be made public.

These lists were amended at later dates and new info added so I can see that both May and Doris later married May became May Grover and Doris became Doris Gower.

I am more than happy to find out more info on the Kerslakes for you. If so message me with any details you might have. In any case from what I already know I can let you have more info.

• Incredible, you are spot on, having just got home from a wasted journey(always one) I need time to recover (health issues) I'm very interested I'll start again tomorrow, whenever suits you, thanks for your interest Jon.
  • @jonseventyfive I know a local author who does a lot on the Home Guard, etc.. If anything of your Uncle's is related to civil defence in any way, I'm sure he'd like to see it.
  • @jonseventyfive I know a local author who does a lot on the Home Guard, etc.. If anything of your Uncle's is related to civil defence in any way, I'm sure he'd like to see it.

If this little story heads that way you can be sure I'll be in touch, thank you.