Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooters Hill (ww 2)

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'll check out the Woolwich CD list tomorrow and will let you know. Clive's checking out the Home Guard I believe so between us we might get to the bottom of this!
  • Options
    Thanks very much gents.
  • Options
    OK, I've checked the list of ARP Wardens for both Greenwich & Woolwich boroughs and he doesn't feature in there. If he was attached to an AA or Barrage Balloon unit, he would have been serving either with the Army or RAF respectively. There were AA/Balloon Sites all around the area, the nearest to Shooters Hill being at Woolwich Common or Eltham Common. There were also sites at Church Manorway, Plumstead Common, Blackheath, Charlton Park and Plumstead Marshes, so he could've been at any one of those. Maybe @SE7toSG3 will come up with something as regards his record. I've attached a grainy photo of the Balloon Barrage in Eltham Green Road taken in 1940.
  • Options
    Also attached a photo of the Eltham Home Guard at Southend Hall taken in 1942, by which time they had been properly equipped and weren't relying on pitchforks and broom handles with carving knifes tied around the end!
  • Options
    Could he have been in the Observer Corps like Jimmy Seed?
  • Options
    Definite possibility, yes. Unfortunately, although a civilian organisation, they formed part of the RAF's strength, so his service record would have to come via them. Hopefully Clive can turn something up as he had better access to those sort of records than I do.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for looking Tom, this could end up in the family myth category, but I'm very grateful to you.
  • Options

Looks as if

SE7toSG3 said:

Hi @jonseventyfive the medal would be interesting as the Home Guard were not awarded service medals but a certificate of appreciation. I would expect your relative was more likely a territorial or RAF VR chap in an anti aircraft unit. If you give me his name I will have a look to see if I can find anything on him and identify what he was up too. @Tom_Hovi as Ben suggests could know a fair bit about Shooter Hill in 39/45 War

Good morning, as you can tell I know nothing, firstly can I just say I have a braininjury so i don't find research easy, Charlie Horace Kerslake is how I knew him but as for units I have no idea, he was a lifelong bachelor, I will look up date of birth/death.
    I think I might have found him on the 1939 register (carried out on September 29th) living at Macoma Road Woolwich along with other Kerslakes. If he was he born in 31 May1908 I think I have the right man. Happy to find out more for you.
    Looks like I have the right Charlie! Ok here goes: The entries are all handwritten and some of the initials of their middle names are not 100% clear.
    The Occupants of no 93 were:

Samuel C? Kerslake dob 19/08/1881 Married Occupation: Boiler Maker Heavy Worker
    Beatrice C? Kerslake 14/10/1881 Married:Unpaid Domestic Duties
    Charles H Kerslake 31/05/1908 Single: Engineer Fitter Erector Heavy Worker
    May E Kerslake 24/10/1913 Single: Cable Makers' Clerk
    Albert E Kerslake 31/03/1915 Single: Cable Machinist Heavy Worker
    Doris C? Kerslake 18/08/1918 Single: Cable Machinist
    There is also another occupant but the name is blacked out - so they must have been born 1916 or later. As it is possible that someone born from 1916 onwards is still alive their details cannot be made public.

These lists were amended at later dates and new info added so I can see that both May and Doris later married May became May Grover and Doris became Doris Gower.

I am more than happy to find out more info on the Kerslakes for you. If so message me with any details you might have. In any case from what I already know I can let you have more info.

I've replied to this of piste.
  • Options
    I'd like to say thank you for the help I've had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Delighted to see you have made progress; family history can be an all-consuming pastime! Good luck.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Delighted to see you have made progress; family history can be an all-consuming pastime! Good luck.

Thanks, impossible without help.
  • Options
    I have just received a A4 size package from cherry orchard, giving detailed information on my family and their descendants, this will lead me who knows were, what a nice thing to do for somebody you have never met.
    Already connections to the passed are being made thanks to CL.