Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So Charlton play in Charlton

Comments

• Options
    England play their home games in England.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

sam3110 said:

If its a town within Greater Manchester then it's in Manchester.

The address is Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester

Pretty big giveaway there

Salford, Bolton and Wigan are all in Greater Manchester but no one from those areas would describe themselves as Mancunians.
    That's true, but with the exception of Salford, all the other parts of Greater Manchester have separate postcodes, BL or OL or WN or SK for example.
    Stretford is MANCHESTER M32. Salford is SALFORD M3 (or M5, M6 or M7).
    Stretford might be in the borough of Trafford, but it's in Manchester.

• Options
    Off at a Tangent but someone mentioned Port Vale not actually being a place. I was told that Port Vale and Notts County are the only two clubs with a name that does not reflect the place from where they come from. I guess you could include Arsenal in this now?????

Any others.

• Options
    The actual question was "which teams play in the place they were name after?"
  • Options
    next you lot will be saying Croydon is in South London...
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Off at a Tangent but someone mentioned Port Vale not actually being a place. I was told that Port Vale and Notts County are the only two clubs with a name that does not reflect the place from where they come from. I guess you could include Arsenal in this now?????

Any others.

Corinthian Casuals
  • Options
    Welling United play in South Bexleyheath.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

England play their home games in England.

Faroe Islands play in Denmark
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    sam3110 said:

manchester city
    liverpool

Where do they play then if it's not in Liverpool?

the question was Which other teams actually play in the place they are named after ?

liverpool play in liverpool

think it should read which teams dont play in the place they are named after
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The actual question was "which teams play in the place they were name after?"

It was, but the opposite question "which teams don't play in the place they were named after?" is much more interesting :smiley:
  • Options

Fulham play in Putney and Chelsea play in Fulham.

Wrong side of the River for Putney! Defo Fulham
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

sam3110 said:

Salford, Bolton and Wigan are all in Greater Manchester but no one from those areas would describe themselves as Mancunians.
    But those teams are named after those areas of Greater Manchester. Manchester United play in Manchester, whether it's in Stretford, Trafford or Salford, it's all in Manchester
  • Options

Chelsea play in Fulham

I thought chess play in blue
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Any others.

Surely cant be the case though as Notts County play in the County of Nottinghamshire?
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Fiiish said:

sam3110 said:

That's true, but with the exception of Salford, all the other parts of Greater Manchester have separate postcodes, BL or OL or WN or SK for example.

True. I'm not contesting the point that Manchester United is named after the place that they play, but having worked in Manchester for the best part of 5 years, you'd get laughed at if you tried to claim Salford and Manchester were the same place. People up there are very proud of the historical limits of each town and city. Just because they are all in Greater Manchester for governance purposes doesn't mean they can all be lumped in as Manchester. Trafford and Stretford would be considered to be Manchester by extension, but not Salford as it's a city in its own right. A taxi office five minutes away from where I was waiting refused to send a cab out to me because they were geographically in Salford and I was just inside Manchester and they did not pick up from Manchester.

Only really sad City fans try to play the card that United isn't really in Manchester. Work there for 5 years, you'll swear you'll never meet a more bitter and deluded set of fans, apart from the bin-dippers of course.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

They don't go in for all this naming a football club after it's home town nonsense in Scotland
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

rananegra said:

Fiiish said:

sam3110 said:

True. I'm not contesting the point that Manchester United is named after the place that they play, but having worked in Manchester for the best part of 5 years, you'd get laughed at if you tried to claim Salford and Manchester were the same place. People up there are very proud of the historical limits of each town and city. Just because they are all in Greater Manchester for governance purposes doesn't mean they can all be lumped in as Manchester. Trafford and Stretford would be considered to be Manchester by extension, but not Salford as it's a city in its own right. A taxi office five minutes away from where I was waiting refused to send a cab out to me because they were geographically in Salford and I was just inside Manchester and they did not pick up from Manchester.

Only really sad City fans try to play the card that United isn't really in Manchester. Work there for 5 years, you'll swear you'll never meet a more bitter and deluded set of fans, apart from the bin-dippers of course.
    When you local rivals are Man United can you really blame them? Watching a bunch of plastic fans getting the tram in from Altrincham every week.
  • Options

According to the excellent Charlton Athletic Museum Charlton are the only one of the 92 league clubs to have been founded independently by boys.

All the others were works teams (West Ham, Man U, Arsenal) church teams (Everton, QPR, Southampton), formed by existing sports clubs (Forest, Spurs) or created as franchises for existing grounds (Chelsea, Liverpool). Otherwise they have been founded by a group of adults, not as a street corner side as was Charlton Athletic.

We're unique.

That's just weird...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just in London

Arsenal - Holloway
    Barnet - Edgware
    Chelsea - Fulham
    Crystal Palace - South Norwood
    Millwall - South Bermondsey
    Queens Park Rangers - White City
    West Ham - Stratford
    Wimbledon - Kingston upon Thames
  • Options

25May98 said:

Any others.

Surely cant be the case though as Notts County play in the County of Nottinghamshire?
    Agreed, but it sounds a bit like cricket. Nottingham Forest play in Nottingham. So do Notts County. Silly really because Notts County where formed first and I guess the whole 'naming after a county' didn't catch on with football.
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest don't play in Nottingham, Notts County do.
  • Options

And don't forget, Chelsea play in Fulham

Who play where?

Actually, Who's on first base.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Nottingham Forest don't play in Nottingham, Notts County do.

I didn't know that. The other side of the river is???
  • Options
    Had to check and Forest play in the town of West Bridgford, separated from the City of Nottingham by the river, though still in the borough of Nottingham.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

25May98 said:

Any others.

Agreed, but it sounds a bit like cricket. Nottingham Forest play in Nottingham. So do Notts County. Silly really because Notts County where formed first and I guess the whole 'naming after a county' didn't catch on with football.
    Forest play at the City Ground which isn't in the city, it's in West Bridgford in the county of Nottinghamshire.

County play at Meadow Lane Stadium which is on the corner of Meadow Lane and County Road in the city.

Obviously they're both really confused.
  • Options
    Cheers randy andy.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

25May98 said:

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

They don't go in for all this naming a football club after it's home town nonsense in Scotland
    where the hell do Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers play ?