Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So Charlton play in Charlton

13»

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

se9addick said:

25May98 said:

Off at a Tangent but someone mentioned Port Vale not actually being a place. I was told that Port Vale and Notts County are the only two clubs with a name that does not reflect the place from where they come from. I guess you could include Arsenal in this now?????

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

They don't go in for all this naming a football club after it's home town nonsense in Scotland
    where the hell do Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers play ?
    Edinburgh I think
  • MrOneLung said:

se9addick said:

25May98 said:

Off at a Tangent but someone mentioned Port Vale not actually being a place. I was told that Port Vale and Notts County are the only two clubs with a name that does not reflect the place from where they come from. I guess you could include Arsenal in this now?????

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

They don't go in for all this naming a football club after it's home town nonsense in Scotland
    They don't have the Glasgow in their names

• Famously, a TV commentator once shrieked: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight!"

But Raith doesn't exist as a place. It's like saying: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Arsenal".

Our owner approves of all this dancing, wherever it occurs.
  • 25May98 said:

C_A_F_C said:

Nottingham Forest don't play in Nottingham, Notts County do.

I didn't know that. The other side of the river is???
    All is explained here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottinghamshire - The City of Nottingham used to be a county borough (just like Stockport County) and after a brief period has now liberated itself from Nottinghamshire.
  • perhaps Notts County and Nottingham Forest should swap names to avoid the confusion!
  • MrOneLung said:

se9addick said:

25May98 said:

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

Nowhere, there's no such teams.
  • Fulham play in Putney and Chelsea play in Fulham.

i live in putney and fulham dont play here.

i live in putney and fulham dont play here.
    Because you won't let them
  • Fulham play in Fulham (Putney is the correct side of the Thames)
  • Famously, a TV commentator once shrieked: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight!"

But Raith doesn't exist as a place. It's like saying: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Arsenal".

Our owner approves of all this dancing, wherever it occurs.

That led to they'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight!
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

If its a town within Greater Manchester then it's in Manchester.

The address is Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester

Pretty big giveaway there

Don't they all play in the Northern Powerhouse these days?
  • rananegra said:

Fiiish said:

sam3110 said:

If its a town within Greater Manchester then it's in Manchester.

The address is Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester

Pretty big giveaway there

Salford, Bolton and Wigan are all in Greater Manchester but no one from those areas would describe themselves as Mancunians.
    That's true, but with the exception of Salford, all the other parts of Greater Manchester have separate postcodes, BL or OL or WN or SK for example.
    Stretford is MANCHESTER M32. Salford is SALFORD M3 (or M5, M6 or M7).
    Stretford might be in the borough of Trafford, but it's in Manchester.

Yes, but what do the train timetables say?
  • Curb_It said:

Charlton play in South Blackheath.

Which is of course in East London....

Are you a Uber driver. When I passed Fulhams ground yesterday it was still in Stevenage Road SW6. Putney is SW15.
  • But do Nottingham Forest play in a Forest? Looked pretty urban when I was there last.
  • Acab said:

Fulham play in Putney and Chelsea play in Fulham.

Are you an Uber driver. When I passed Fulhams ground yesterday it was still in Stevenage Road SW6. Putney is SW15.
  • Chelsea play in Fulham

I thought chelsea play in blue
  • edited January 2017
    bobmunro said:

PopIcon said:

United and City do play in Manchester, Luton do play in Luton, others are wrong too. Salford is in Manchester.

Salford is in county of Greater Manchester but not in the city of Manchester.
    It's also something of a shyte hole.....despite BBC TV trying desperately to make out it's the centre of the fucking universe!
    Who gives a shyte about Salford apart from the inhabitants, I bet 80% of the population have no idea where it is or even give a toss.
    Why oh why did BBC TV ever leave London and decades of historical identity in arguably the greatest city on earth. And for the dump that is Salford.....it makes me really pissed off!
    My apologies for going off at a tangent by the way.
  • se9addick said:

25May98 said:

Any others.

St Johnstone
    St Mirren
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs etc

East Fife play in Methil

Albion Rovers play in Coatbridge

Queen of the South play in Dunfries.

Been to all three of these.
  • Chelsea play in Fulham.
  • Sponsored links:

• But do Nottingham Forest play in a Forest? Looked pretty urban when I was there last.

What about Palace?
  • edited January 2017

But do Nottingham Forest play in a Forest? Looked pretty urban when I was there last.

What about Palace?
    Glass. Smashed. Everywhere. Especially with Bentekkers!
  • Berwick and Chester play in England and (a part of) Wales but play in the Scottish and English Leagues respectively.
  • The interesting thing about Chelsea is unlike other clubs who are named after places in which they were formed or once played, Chelsea were formed and have always played in Fulham they named themselves after the neighbouring district of Chelsea due to there already being a Fulham.
  • C_A_F_C said:

The interesting thing about Chelsea is unlike other clubs who are named after places in which they were formed or once played, Chelsea were formed and have always played in Fulham they named themselves after the neighbouring district of Chelsea due to there already being a Fulham.

Franchise club created to make use of the stadium like Liverpool and MK Dons.

Dislike all three
  • bobmunro said:

PopIcon said:

United and City do play in Manchester, Luton do play in Luton, others are wrong too. Salford is in Manchester.

Salford is in county of Greater Manchester but not in the city of Manchester.
    It's also something of a shyte hole.....despite BBC TV trying desperately to make out it's the centre of the fucking universe!
    Who gives a shyte about Salford apart from the inhabitants, I bet 80% of the population have no idea where it is or even give a toss.
    Why oh why did BBC TV ever leave London and decades of historical identity in arguably the greatest city on earth. And for the dump that is Salford.....it makes me really pissed off!
    My apologies for going off at a tangent by the way.
    No need to apologise for stating facts - Salford is without a doubt a shyte hole.