Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Growing Veg

Any experienced veg growers here? I'm moving back to Cornwall. My partner has about half an acre of steeply sloping land beside woodland. It seems a waste and I like the idea of using it. Any gardeners, beekeepers etc here with suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    This forum is riveting on Sundays
  • Options

Access and safety are, obviously, key factors to consider as regards a sloping site, for you will be carrying things. You say 'steeply sloping' so don't underestimate how hazardous this might be when wet and cold. It could be a slog at the best of times. Are there any steps? If not, might you put some in? Can you envisage making some modifications, such as leveling, or making some areas less steep? It's quite a job, I would suggest. What is the soil like? I'd use the fallen leaves to make leafmould. This will take 18 months / 2 years from the start. Bag up the leaves in a black sack, wet them thoroughly and make some drainage holes. Air can then circulate a bit. Tie up and leave for at least a year, then check. Once crumbly, mix with compost (if you make it). Can you perhaps construct, or have put in, some raised beds to grow in? How about putting in some fruit trees? As a style, I like 'Cottage gardens', so my preference would be for pollinating flowers around and about as well as some area(s) in which to grow veg. I'd also make provision for habitats - stacked dead wood benefits insects and small mammals. Stag beetle larvae would appreciate some partly-submerged wood (not treated wood, though) at the bottom of the slope if there is a moist area there.
    I'd be interested in hearing from you should you go ahead with a plan. Best wishes.

Thanks Anna, I know this plot quite well and previously cut and burned it to keep undergrowth down, but never had the time to cultivate it. It is steep at the top and then shallows out into well-established but young woodland. The plan is to cut out beds rather than create raised beds. I always stacked unburnable cut wood in rows on the borders of the woodland next door and there is now quite a lot of this - there is no shortage of habitat for birds and bugs - we also get small deer, squirrels and foxes and while not wanting to discourage them obviously want to protect any crops so will look at nets or other options.

Any suggestions of crops that are forgiving of a newbie gardener?

I would like to be able to grow spring veg, courgettes, spuds and leeks etc and a few herbs.

Not that kind of herbs, Blackpool72.
  • Options
    Spuds and Leeks are easy to grow, would be useful if you could put a picture on here so we could get an idea of the plot.

Leeks are easy, sow into the ground about 6 inches then fill the hole with water and put the leeks in. They don't need much attention after that, if you grow anything like cabbages or sweetcorn then make sure they are covered otherwise the foxes or rats will eat them up.

Courgettes are easy but keep an eye out for slugs, if your growing herbs i would put them under netting for protection.

Do you get much sunlight or does the woodland cut out the sunshine?
  • Options
    Not all soil in Cornwall is deep enough to grow vegetables, so it really depends on the type of soil. Check what local farms do, if they just keep cattle and sheep it might only be good for grass. If they grow daffodils it would be good for veg.

Slopes are the last type of ground farmers try and cultivate. Slopes are often sign of rocks beneath. If you remove the undergrowth and dig the soil to make it veg friendly it will risk being washed away with the rain, which is why you see crops grown on terraces in mountainous areas.

If no good for veg, bees would be a good idea, plus fruit trees/bushes on the slope and some chickens. I've kept bees and two hives gave me over 100 jars of honey a year, 6 chickens will give you more eggs than you know what to do with, as long as you can keep the foxes out. @i_b_b_o_r_g can come over and shoot them if you get problems.
  • Options

Not all soil in Cornwall is deep enough to grow vegetables, so it really depends on the type of soil. Check what local farms do, if they just keep cattle and sheep it might only be good for grass. If they grow daffodils it would be good for veg.

Slopes are the last type of ground farmers try and cultivate. Slopes are often sign of rocks beneath. If you remove the undergrowth and dig the soil to make it veg friendly it will risk being washed away with the rain, which is why you see crops grown on terraces in mountainous areas.

If no good for veg, bees would be a good idea, plus fruit trees/bushes on the slope and some chickens. I've kept bees and two hives gave me over 100 jars of honey a year, 6 chickens will give you more eggs than you know what to do with, as long as you can keep the foxes out. @i_b_b_o_r_g can come over and shoot them if you get problems.

I am afraid that @i_b_b_o_r_g would shoot me first, but hives and chickens sound interesting...
  • Options
    Potatoes are so easy. Chuck them in the ground. Leave. Come back a few months later when flowering and dig up. Repeat next year.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Spuds and Leeks are easy to grow, would be useful if you could put a picture on here so we could get an idea of the plot.

Leeks are easy, sow into the ground about 6 inches then fill the hole with water and put the leeks in. They don't need much attention after that, if you grow anything like cabbages or sweetcorn then make sure they are covered otherwise the foxes or rats will eat them up.

Courgettes are easy but keep an eye out for slugs, if your growing herbs i would put them under netting for protection.

Do you get much sunlight or does the woodland cut out the sunshine?

It's north facing but looks out over a valley so gets some sunlight , well watered and drained. The woodland is all north and downslope so no shade from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am afraid that @i_b_b_o_r_g would shoot me first, but hives and chickens sound interesting...
    Chickens somewhat tricky at the moment and might continue to be so - you aren't allowed to have them outdoors because of H5N8. See here for more details: https://gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-protect-poultry-against-avian-flu
  • Options
    If you fancy a beehive, find a local group, learn how to look after a hive by working with the members, and make sure you've got somewhere to put it where no one has to come within about 10' / 3m of it except to work with it.
  • Options
    @Maglor keeps bees
  • Options
    as a beekeeper I completely agree with AA's advice - join a local group
  • Options
    I'd also recommend some herbs. Varieties of theme, rosemary, chive, bay, fennel and origarno are perennial and require very little attention.
  • Options
    My tip for herbs: get them from the veggie aisle of your supermarket growing in a pot. Cheaper than a garden centre and less hassle than growing from seed. I bought a basil pot last spring, divided the contents up into six individual plants and planted them out. They lasted all summer.
  • Options

Where you to, my 'andsome?

Seriously, roughly whereabouts in Cornwall is your plot - and is it moorland, coastal, soft green valley?
    It'll tell you a bit about what soil type you have and, of course, you'll need some direct sunlight and shelter from the wind when it blows a hoolie.

Have a word with a few locals .... they will have been growing stuff for years, be familiar with your local conditions and know what grows well.
    Spuds should be fine and always good to help break up land.

If you're near open country, deer and rabbits will strip everything that's green if given the chance, so might be good to knock up a wire cage to keep them out - an old polytunnel frame clad with chicken wire and the bottom buried in the ground, will keep it animal proof. It's Cornwall, somebody will have an old disused one somewhere.

With little frost and mild damp Cornish winters with the mizzle setting in, you'll get plenty of slugs and snails.
    Be ruthless.

I'm in a village environment in SE Cornwall, but have a small steeply sloping veg plot which I've terraced out a bit, which makes it easier to work.
    Remember, talk to the locals - they'll know best. Good luck!

• Options

Any experienced veg growers here? I'm moving back to Cornwall. My partner has about half an acre of steeply sloping land beside woodland. It seems a waste and I like the idea of using it. Any gardeners, beekeepers etc here with suggestions?

Light is VERY important. If it gets full sun (south facing) you'll be in business!

Squash and courgettes - incredibly easy, once it's warm enough. Courgettes turn into marrows very quickly, so best crop regularly.

Potatoes - easy.

Tomatoes - rewarding.

Shallots are easy, onions too.

Garlic easy (but buy from garden centre. The stuff we eat won't grow in our cool conditions.

Leeks - easy from seed.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Seriously, roughly whereabouts in Cornwall is your plot - and is it moorland, coastal, soft green valley?
    It'll tell you a bit about what soil type you have and, of course, you'll need some direct sunlight and shelter from the wind when it blows a hoolie.

Have a word with a few locals .... they will have been growing stuff for years, be familiar with your local conditions and know what grows well.

If you're near open country, deer and rabbits will strip everything that's green if given the chance, so might be good to knock up a wire cage to keep them out - an old polytunnel frame clad with chicken wire and the bottom buried in the ground, will keep it animal proof. It's Cornwall, somebody will have an old disused one somewhere.

With little frost and mild damp Cornish winters with the mizzle setting in, you'll get plenty of slugs and snails.
    Be ruthless.

I'm in a village environment in SE Cornwall, but have a small steeply sloping veg plot which I've terraced out a bit, which makes it easier to work.

Hi Oggy. Moving back to Looe. Land overlooks small valley off West Looe river valley..steep sided, wooded and protected from worst of the weather. Soil a bit clayey if I remember right. Get deer in the garden so will need to put something up.
  • Options
    Thinking leeks cabbage courgettes beans and peas and spuds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plant some apple trees at the bottom and have a small orchard.

Manage the grass in such a way that its in tussocks and not scrubbing over and you'll have a good habitat for bees and all other creepy crawlies to feed, breed and hibernate in, many of which are only found in orchards. You'll also find a variety of birds will come in to the garden, some of which you wouldn't normally see.

You'll also prolong the life of the soils preventing run off etc.

There's plenty of information online about orchards. They're a priority conservation habitat and some organisations may be willing to provide guidance and funding to help you with such a project.

• Options
    2-3 courgette plants will produce more than you can eat. Best in a raised or terraced bed.

Peas/sugar snaps/beans are great, probably best to use them in staged planting so you get them over 3-4 months rather than 1-2.

Tomatoes especially climbing little tomatoes are fantastic if you have somewhere they can grow up and then get a lot of sun, if you don't have a south facing wall/fence to grow them up, you may need a greenhouse to get them to ripen, they like the sun.

Onions, leeks, potatoes, turnips all good. Carrots in my experience a total pain in the arse.
  • Options
    To deal with slugs and snails, either use nematodes (need them out in April) or shed loads of pellets (much less good)
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Be ruthless.

Hi Oggy. Moving back to Looe. Land overlooks small valley off West Looe river valley..steep sided, wooded and protected from worst of the weather. Soil a bit clayey if I remember right. Get deer in the garden so will need to put something up.
    I'm not so far away. We'll have to meet up, erm ..... dreckly.
    I'll buy you a pint and a paasty.

• Options
    There is a series out at the moment by Monty Don. Can't remember the title - something to do with gardening and small spaces. Anyway, episode 3(?) has done people who have a similar sounding slope and want to do veg etc. If you have catch up tv you could have a look on BBC.

Chickens are very rewarding and love to scratch around woodland with some sun. Hopefully the avian flu problem will go soon and then I would recommend rehoming some ex commercial hens. They are 'retired' at 18 months when they stop laying max eggs. They will continue to lay eggs frequently but not pump them out day after day. Still plenty though. I would recommend 'Fresh Start for Hens' who rescue and rehome around the country.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone some great info here.
  • Options
    Maybe keep a few pigs? They'd love the ground you describe.
    Is there a local co-op where you could share/swap your meat for locally grown fruit & veg or cheese?