Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Growing Veg

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017

Maybe keep a few pigs? They'd love the ground you describe.
    Is there a local co-op where you could share/swap your meat for locally grown fruit & veg or cheese?

I genuinely think Mary would make me live with them if I suggested it, though I'd love to keep a pig.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Used to be a cottage tradition. Lots of people round here used to keep a pig a couple of generations ago.

Even very recently, friends used to keep a pig on their allotment here.
    Everybody loved her and Camilla loved everybody.

Pigs are really friendly and intelligent, like dogs.
    And they'll eat all your food scraps and peelings.

If you get just 1 pig, he'll rotovate all your ground and dig up all the pernicious weed roots.

He'll only need a strong pen and a rough shelter.
    Sounds like you might need to make it big enough for you as well.

;o)
  • Options
    If you're attracting Deer onto your land think about investing in a rifle and a chest freezer.
  • Options

If you're attracting Deer onto your land think about investing in a rifle and a chest freezer.

They're about big enough for one quarter pound venison burger each...
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Do your 'deer' have big ears, fluffy tails and long front teeth? :smile:
  • Options

Do your 'deer' have big ears, fluffy tails and long front teeth? :smile:
    No. But I do. What's your point?
  • Options
    I hope you keep us updated with your progess Wheresmeticket. I'm planning on moving out West in the next couple of years and have dreams of being at least partially self sufficent. We're scouting the Tamar Valley and the Falmouth area for properties with land and holiday let potential. Anywhere else out there that you'd recommend?
  • Options
    Not veg but just taken delivery of four Banana trees, about six foot tall and I'll be growing in pots, then heated greenhouse in winter, any tips out there?
  • Options
    Keep the monkeys out of the greenhouse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole world's a comedian all of a sudden, thanks made me chuckle .
  • Options
    Here are three short videos from Gardener's World where Monty Don talks bananas.

(N.B. I could only see the picture by watching in full screen mode)

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-plant-out-a-banana-plant/
  • Options
    Thank you Raith, nice to see not every one takes the p, still I did ask for it.
  • Options
    I have grown bananas for many years and also other exotics.
    Alot depends on the variety you have with regards to hardiness and fruit. Most grown in this country are grown for ornimental purposes rather than to eat.
    For fruit you would need a large greenhouse and a cavendish type variety.
    What variety do you have and what are you hoping to do with it
  • Options

Not veg but just taken delivery of four Banana trees, about six foot tall and I'll be growing in pots, then heated greenhouse in winter, any tips out there?

Custard.

and try not to eat it with a fork
  • Options

I
    What variety do you have and what are you hoping to do with it

I'm not sure we want to know...
  • Options
    Shortly after starting this thread I got a back injury which I made worse by doing stupid things like "I'll be alright to carry this as long as I don't overdo it". All thought of digging up a veg patch ceased....
  • Options
    Type not sure, not edible though, very much an experiment, I check on the sarcasm tomorrow.
  • Options
    It's that time of year again.

I'd planned to dig over a new, bigger area, for my veg in the autumn but didn't get round to it. Will try and get on with it when the weather dries up. Meanwhile, I've started off some veg seeds on the windowsill. Some of my tomato seeds are a good few years old and only one or two have germinated. Bought some new ones and all have germinated. Should I just chuck the old seeds away? Seems such a waste. How many years can you keep them for? Many tomato seed packets have loads of seeds but I only want one or two!
  • Options
    Hi Arsene, I've bought loads of seeds this year from Premier Seeds from their ebay shop. Sow by date on all of them is Jan 2020 so if any of yours are over 2 years old probably best to bin them.

Growing a beefsteak tomato from the US called Mortgage Lifter. Great story how it got that name if you google it.

Still plenty of Spanish Rose in the fridge next time you're passing :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hi Arsene, I've bought loads of seeds this year from Premier Seeds from their ebay shop. Sow by date on all of them is Jan 2020 so if any of yours are over 2 years old probably best to bin them.

Growing a beefsteak tomato from the US called Mortgage Lifter. Great story how it got that name if you google it.

Good story indeed!

Love the beefsteak tomatoes. This time in growing some different colour ones - I've grown a yellow 'golden sunrise' before, and have found a pink and an orange tomato.

Chilled rose...... Ah when Roland goes!
  • Options
    We'll compare our Toms later in the year Arsene, the pink and orange one sounds good.
  • Options

Good story indeed!

Love the beefsteak tomatoes. This time in growing some different colour ones - I've grown a yellow 'golden sunrise' before, and have found a pink and an orange tomato.

Chilled rose...... Ah when Roland goes!
    grew some black ones last year
  • Options
    Starting off some aubergine seeds today if I get time. Have had very little success with them - either the flowers drop off or the fruit rots early on. Any ideas?

Have also had potato disaster early on. Bought the seed potatoes and stuck them in a cool, light place to chit. Sadly it wasn't frost free and most of them have rotted. Will have to buy more (if I can find any). There's something nice about digging up the first lot of potatoes.
  • Options
    I suppose Mr Tatters will have to watch what he is up to in the shed now Spring is here and you are lurking about in the garden :smile:
  • Options

Have also had potato disaster early on. Bought the seed potatoes and stuck them in a cool, light place to chit. Sadly it wasn't frost free and most of them have rotted. Will have to buy more (if I can find any). There's something nice about digging up the first lot of potatoes.

Shouldn'y your username be Arsene taters?

:smile:
  • Options
    Sweet Aperitif, nice little cherry tom I recommend.