Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divorce settlement in the news

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Swisdom said:

Anyone seen this story in the news recently....what are people thoughts on it?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-38891663

Personally I'm disgusted that she is looking for another handout on the back of some poor personal decisions that have affected her pocket - and she still hasn't found a mug willing to support her so goes for the easy option.

That story is SO poorly written. No idea what the timeline is or why he should have to have ever given her any money.
    On the information given, that verdict is an utter disgrace.
    Agree. I'm still trying to work out this line:

increasing the £1,100 a month he pays to £1,1441
    I hope for his sake it's a typo and it's increased to 1,144 or 1,441 pounds, and not 11,441 per month
  • Options
    he should've got a clean break 'consent order' at the time of the divorce.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Also, LOL at the Bechdel test, which was originally conceived as a joke, which has now been hijacked by SJWs who think that it is a serious metric of gender inequality.

Aww Fiiish, you're veering dangerously towards Milo-fanboy territory with the SJW cobblers. You'll be calling people cucks next. :
    What's cobblers about it? It is very much a real thing. Not sure what Milo has to do with it TBH. Can't stand the fella.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Fiiish said:

Sex and the City also fails the Bechdel test, despite its target audience. Which goes to show that women give less of a shit about it than men.

It so blatantly doesn't.
    Yes it does.
  • Options
    You're obviously a good guy, LR. I do think that you assume other hearty, red-blooded Tory-leaning men to be of similar good character to yourself - to have empathy, sensitivity, to not discriminate by gender, race or sexuality, to despise exploitation. And if that were the case, hell I'd probably vote Tory.

However, a growing number of people in that category would call you a libtard snowflake just for possessing those qualities. (And on a side-note, the Tory Party continually demonstrates its utter lack of concern for the most vulnerable in society, with a succession of policies and cutbacks that would have made Thatcher wince.)

Look at the Rich List and extrapolate down from there if you don't think there's still an imbalance in progressive modern Britain. (Or better, look at who owns our media outlets.) I'm not saying that we're not amongst the best in the world for treatment of women, but the best still involves a hell of a lot of objectification, condescension and, yes, abuse.

Yawn yawn it's Leuth again with his bullshit yawn Palace lost 4-0 to Sunderland the other day! At home!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Fiiish said:

Sex and the City also fails the Bechdel test, despite its target audience. Which goes to show that women give less of a shit about it than men.

It so blatantly doesn't.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/alison-bechdel-sex-and-th_n_5928490.html

Alison Bechdel disagrees
  • Options
    http://bechdeltest.com/view/747/sex_and_the_city/

ner ner ner ner ner. It's a proper shit film though
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Also, LOL at the Bechdel test, which was originally conceived as a joke, which has now been hijacked by SJWs who think that it is a serious metric of gender inequality.

Aww Fiiish, you're veering dangerously towards Milo-fanboy territory with the SJW cobblers. You'll be calling people cucks next. :
    What's cobblers about it? It is very much a real thing. Not sure what Milo has to do with it TBH. Can't stand the fella.
    Homophobe
  • Options
    There's a lot of stuff here that I need to read and digest to respond to properly, but I'm at work and so will chip in more expansive thoughts later.

But I'd like to clarify, I DO NOT THINK THIS GUY GETTING SHAFTED IN COURT IS FAIR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I thought the "Bag for Life" was a bang liberty!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Only on Charltonlife can a case about a man being shafted in the divorce courts lead to a discussion about how outrageous society is for women, effectively, he deserves it because women get a raw deal elsewhere.

You live a very sheltered life if you actually think that's the case.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Huskaris said:

Only on Charltonlife can a case about a man being shafted in the divorce courts lead to a discussion about how outrageous society is for women, effectively, he deserves it because women get a raw deal elsewhere.

True to be fair, but I stay off Twitter and Reddit etc for that very reason. And if you don't buy into these ridiculous victim narratives somehow makes you sexist... Again, terms used to shut you down by accusing you of hatred...

As a society it is time we start questioning the shrieking minority who control the narrative.
  • Options
    I didn't say the Tories discriminate on gender! Read my post. They tend to hate poor people of every gender identity.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

colthe3rd said:

Huskaris said:

True to be fair, but I stay off Twitter and Reddit etc for that very reason. And if you don't buy into these ridiculous victim narratives somehow makes you sexist... Again, terms used to shut you down by accusing you of hatred...

As a society it is time we start questioning the shrieking minority who control the narrative.
    We got a live one!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Huskaris said:

colthe3rd said:

Huskaris said:

We got a live one!
    At least you make me giggle!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The point being that the joke made in her comic panel isn't actually the intention of the test and this stuff has all got wildly out of hand. When Bechdel herself is pointing out that this test doesn't actually meet the real criteria it shows how badly warped it's become
  • Options

McBobbin said:

The point being that the joke made in her comic panel isn't actually the intention of the test and this stuff has all got wildly out of hand. When Bechdel herself is pointing out that this test doesn't actually meet the real criteria it shows how badly warped it's become
    I know. I was just being childish. It is an interesting enough test though, and raises a serious point. Veering wildly from the point, there's a drive to increase diversity in my profession, and I'm involved (I realise that white men on diversity panels look silly when there is an overabundance of white men, but its got so bad, there really isn't any choice!) so read a lot of the literature. Not seeing people you instantly relate to in a role (such as same colour, same gender) has a massive psychological impact, especially when really young. Films entirely about men can also have a negative impact. Interesting.
  • Options
    Seems on very flimsy ground for the court to award the ex a share of earnings made after they no longer had a legal relationship. Grounds for appeal I'd say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Because SJW gets thrown around as a label by 4-chan/Gamergate types/those from the more batshit reddit subs to dismiss even the mildest of suggestions that society is skewed against women and those from ethnic minorities. This is the first time I've heard it used outside discussion/rebuttal of those particular groups, so it has become something of an identifying marker, although nowhere near as much as "cuck" has. And Milo's trying to paint himself as the champion of those being oppressed by political correctness, and aligning himself with those groups - although his motives are open to question given his previously voiced disdain for gamers for one.
  • Options
    Not sure I understood that but the username seems apt.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Because SJW gets thrown around as a label by 4-chan/Gamergate types/those from the more batshit reddit subs to dismiss even the mildest of suggestions that society is skewed against women and those from ethnic minorities. This is the first time I've heard it used outside discussion/rebuttal of those particular groups, so it has becoming something of an identifying marker, although nowhere near as much as "cuck" has. And Milo's trying to paint himself as the champion of those being oppressed by political correctness, and aligning himself with those groups - although his motives are open to question given his previously voiced disdain for gamers for one.
    I'm all for countering horrible alt-right trolls on the internet but I also have time to laugh at people who trump up non-existent sexism to try and win fake Internet points.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Because SJW gets thrown around as a label by 4-chan/Gamergate types/those from the more batshit reddit subs to dismiss even the mildest of suggestions that society is skewed against women and those from ethnic minorities. This is the first time I've heard it used outside discussion/rebuttal of those particular groups, so it has becoming something of an identifying marker, although nowhere near as much as "cuck" has. And Milo's trying to paint himself as the champion of those being oppressed by political correctness, and aligning himself with those groups - although his motives are open to question given his previously voiced disdain for gamers for one.
    Some people clearly live on a different planet to me.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

it might be an age thing. I don't know wtf he's talking about.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Gamergate was an internet shitstorm where a group of edgy teenagers raged against each other (ostensibly about sexism but really it's mainly because 14-year olds who think video game culture is a matter of life and death like being angry on the internet for no reason) for the best part of a year because of a video game review. Almost no one outside of this niche group noticed it ever happened. As such the terms 'misogynist' and 'SJW' were thrown about a lot.
  • Options
    I know this was the appeal court but can the poor sod appeal against this appalling verdict?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

aliwibble said:

Fiiish said:

Gamergate was an internet shitstorm where a group of edgy teenagers raged against each other (ostensibly about sexism but really it's mainly because 14-year olds who think video game culture is a matter of life and death like being angry on the internet for no reason) for the best part of a year because of a video game review. Almost no one outside of this niche group noticed it ever happened. As such the terms 'misogynist' and 'SJW' were thrown about a lot.
    Didn't some woman who developed games sleep with a gaming journalist, get a good review for her game as a result, and then claim that the when gaming industry was sexist when it was called out? I'm a shade over 14 so it wasn't as much of a highlight in my year as it no doubt was for others... I seem to remember the sexism issue being a huge distraction tactic for her own misdeeds.
  • Options
    What's an SJW? Apart from my initials I've not seen that acronym before