Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SS GB - No Spoilers Please

I'm really looking forward to this - it looks like a really high-production series. I haven't read the book, but the synopsis seems cleverly to weave truth and invention.

Comments

• Fake news. The Germans never invaded the UK.

But if you like this sort of thing check out the 60s film "it happened here" on a partially occupied UK and the resistance. Much closer to the real events and used real British fascists to play collaborators.

Dominion is an excellent book on similar topic.
  • Saw them filming this in Greenwich. Looks like it could be decent, will give it a go.
  • I have no idea what you are talking about!

Ve hav vays of making you talk

(Child of the 60s raised on Commando comics is my excuse)
  • I have no idea what you are talking about!

https://youtu.be/1y7tHhyowqg
  • This is Len Deighton yes? Read the book years ago. Good read as I recall.
  • I read the book years ago. Very good. Hope the series lives up to it.
  • So a similar concept to The Man in the High Castle?
  • CHGCHG
    edited February 2017
    I love alternative history, Children's War is the best book I have read on the German's winning WWII. Looking forward to SS GB.
  • So a similar concept to The Man in the High Castle?

And Fatherland
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
  • Went the Day Well is a cracking movie in a similar vein, and all the more authentic as it came out in 1942.
  • Went the Day Well is a cracking movie in a similar vein, and all the more authentic as it came out in 1942.

Absolutely.

Classic homefront movie
  • When does it start
  • good book by Len Deighton, a terrific and versatile author .. published many years ago .. similar though not as harrowing as 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris .. could be good TV provided it does not become too 'caricatured' .. mit der Nazis und der qwislings
  • When does it start

Sunday, 19 February
  • edited February 2017

Dominion is an excellent book on similar topic.

Yes - written by CJ Sansom and depicts a Britain after Halifax became PM in 1940 instead of Churchill, settled with the Germans and became a Nazi satellite. Chilling tale of how many people will happily put up with tyranny until it personally affects them.

Looking forward to SS-GB, though not read the book.
  • Just hope the Nazis didn't prevent the first two post WW2 Cup Finals.
  • I liked it.

Made me dig out "The Last Ditch - Britain's secret resistance and the Nazi Invasion plan" by David Lampe.

Not alternative history but the real story of the secret resistance cells set up to find behind enemy lines if the balloon had gone up.

• Sponsored links:

• Liked it but he wouldn't be listening to a John Lee Hooker record in 1941.
  • Liked it but he wouldn't be listening to a John Lee Hooker record in 1941.

I did think that was unlikely. I know they were trying to make the point that he listened to black music but jazz would have seemed more likely than Blues.
  • Gave up after 20 minutes. Found the two leads to be very poor and it just didn't grab me.
  • MrOneLung said:

Gave up after 20 minutes. Found the two leads to be very poor and it just didn't grab me.

20 minutes was as far as I got as well. very disappointed, I had been looking forward to this but just found it boring

• Shite. Couldn't hear a word anyone said. Turned the TV up full pelt and they still mumbled.
  • Shite. Couldn't hear a word anyone said. Turned the TV up full pelt and they still mumbled.

Welcome to my world mate. Pretty much everything on TV sounds like that to me. Have to use subtitles most of the time.

Welcome to my world mate. Pretty much everything on TV sounds like that to me. Have to use subtitles most of the time.
    It's your punishment for keeping all that stuff you stole from the club and which belongs in the museum.
  • You were not alone VG..... http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a821807/bbc-investigating-ss-gb-sound-levels-viewers-complain-mumbling/
    Thought the CGI effects were effective, The opening scene of the fighter plane landing along the Mall was impressive, Though I recognised parts of the Royal Naval college as well!.
  • I too gave up after about 15 mins, which is something I never do. I found it ever so boring.
  • Enjoyed it. Looking forward to part two