Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wayne Shaw (Sutton reserve keeper) resigns

After last nights piegate....

''Sutton United have accepted the resignation of reserve goalkeeper Wayne Shaw, who is under investigation for potentially breaching betting rules.''

Also reported the club asked him to resign.

Sad end to the Sutton story, whole pie thing was a bit silly as it seems all set up by the bookies but not nice to see a man lose his job over it.

Comments

• Been seen at Sparrows Land after SMT identify a opportunity to revive slump in turnover at the Valley's catering outlets because nasty boycotters. ;)
  • IF, IF HE HAS bet on himself and eaten that pie for personal gain he has breached betting laws.

• IF, IF HE HAS bet on himself and eaten that pie for personal gain he has breached betting laws.

I really don't think that's what it is ... he's become a bit if an Internet sensation over the last few weeks and he is simply playing up to it. He probably saw that people were taking bets on it so thought he'd have a laugh about it. It's like him hoovering the dugouts, cutting the grass and visiting the bar at half time. It's just him playing up to the media attention.

I'm sure it's perfectly innocent and just him giving the cameras what they want to see.

Yeah he has. The Sutton manager has also come out and said he cannot say hand on heart that none of his player bet on it either.

It seems to me some of them got caught up in the moment. These are part time players and most likely not used to having the spotlight on them. For me, the fact that it is nothing to do with football - it's whether a bloke will eat a pie or not - it seems like a massive overreaction to demand his resignation.
    If the club have demanded a resignation then I would imagine it is to prevent any fa fines.

Ultimately it's no different to a player betting on a red card then kicking someone up in the air.

Yeah he has. The Sutton manager has also come out and said he cannot say hand on heart that none of his player bet on it either.

It seems to me some of them got caught up in the moment. These are part time players and most likely not used to having the spotlight on them. For me, the fact that it is nothing to do with football - it's whether a bloke will eat a pie or not - it seems like a massive overreaction to demand his resignation.
    If the club have demanded a resignation then I would imagine it is to prevent any fa fines.

Ultimately it's no different to a player betting on a red card then kicking someone up in the air.
    Or selling the number of seconds it takes for a ball to be kicked into touch as happened on a few occasions a couple of decades ago.
  • Why isn't the betting company getting grief for offering such a bet?
    Before anyone says it, yes I understand it's a "fun" bet, but surely they realise that someone will throw their money away at it?!
    I hope they paid out seeing as somebody lost their job (wrongly or rightly) over it.
  • Sponsored links:

• This was a set up by SunBets, I think. They got Sutton to ditch their normal shirt sponsor and then offered odds on someone eating a pie on the bench. Sure, the guy's been caught out by this, but it's the bookies that have set up it up.
  • Let me guess. The brains at Paddy Power dreamed this up?

That example would effect the game, the pie eating doesn't. Apples and oranges.
    Sorry, I was referring to breaching betting laws so the example stands
  • Apparently a 5 figure sum has been paid out on this bet, which suggests inside info etc
  • Which suggests this is small change for some decent advertising.
    Refer to betting thread
    Before anyone says it, yes I understand it's a "fun" bet, but surely they realise that someone will throw their money away at it?!
    I hope they paid out seeing as somebody lost their job (wrongly or rightly) over it.

Well said. I also heard that the bet was if he was seen eating a pie on tv. That would suggest that he may have scoffed a pie or two during a game before. The betting company are the one's at fault. Win and they take the money, lose and they cry foul and void all the bets.

Anyway, at least we have answered one of footballs long un answered questions. We now know who ate all the pies!
  • I was fairly certain from the time the odds were announced that Sun Bets and the goalie would collude to ensure this happened.

Yeah Sun Bets have paid out but they have got a lot more than that in free publicity.

Now they will probably get even more by campaigning for reinstatement.

no one lost money - you could not bet that he wouldn't eat a pie.
  • Not too bothered by the whole bet thing, but as I said on another thread, I think the bloke is an idiot for wanting to hog the attention for himself whilst the game is going on and his side are absolutely battling to try and get something. (And yes I know they had used all their subs up)
  • Ben18 said:

Apparently a 5 figure sum has been paid out on this bet, which suggests inside info etc

Looking at the size of him, the odds can't have been that great.

Newspapers have advertised on the soles of boxers shoes, boxers that are expected to get knocked out, if those boxers had bet on themselves getting knocked out would it be the fault of the sponsor?
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely the Bookies should be in trouble too... Of course normal cases where players do match betting its not their fault but in this case, SunBet have deliberately gone out their way to almost tap up a player.
  • He's big,
    He's round,
    He's worth a million pound,
    Wayne Shaw! Wayne Shaw!
  • How in the world is there even an option of odds or market for whether or not a bloke eats a pie.

That's the real weird issue.
  • How about when we discussed entering the ground late/leaving early etc.
    What if their was a price up for that?
  • cafctom said:

Not too bothered by the whole bet thing, but as I said on another thread, I think the bloke is an idiot for wanting to hog the attention for himself whilst the game is going on and his side are absolutely battling to try and get something. (And yes I know they had used all their subs up)

Well if this rings true, I really couldn't give a f***

• iainment said:

Let me guess. The brains at Paddy Power dreamed this up?

It's The Sun wot done it.
  • edited February 2017
    What's the odds on getting knocked the fuck out by your pal with a fire door, in a Blackpool B&B.
  • edited February 2017
    Sutton United have been told 2 thousand bets were placed on Wayne Shaw to eat pie. If each bet was a fiver, bookies have paid out £80k. (From Steve Scott, our sports editor at ITN)
  • cafctom said:

Not too bothered by the whole bet thing, but as I said on another thread, I think the bloke is an idiot for wanting to hog the attention for himself whilst the game is going on and his side are absolutely battling to try and get something. (And yes I know they had used all their subs up)

Well if this rings true, I really couldn't give a f***

Think it is true unfortunately mate.