Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Nokia 3310

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes I think the term 'Smart Phone' is a bit of a misnomer. Something like 'Totally Oblivious to my Surroundings and Couldn't give a Shit Phone' would be better, although I accept not quite as catchy.
  • Options
    Kids today watching movie pictures when they should be doing a 14 hour shift in the factories.

Don't know how we beat the Zulus

Charlton Life 1907

Kids today reading comics and listening to the wireless when they should be up a chimney.

We'll never beat Jerry if there is another war.

Charlton life 1927

Kids today listening to juke boxes in a coffee bar when they should be in a pub drinking mild and bitter. If the Ruskies come we've got no chance

Charlton Life 1957
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I don't think the problem is people have stopped talking...the problem you have is that people have stopped talking about what you want to talk about, and they'd rather read something on their phone than listen to yet another fogey whinge about modern life.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Dave2l said:

dizzee said:

Those were the days:

- When people spoke to each other.
    - When people could walk down the street without staring at a phone.
    - When youngsters had enough confidence to not have a phone in their hand.
    - When youngsters weren't put under pressure through Facebook Instagram and other forms of social media. The worst it got was MSN messenger.

Take me back to those times please!

2 sides to that story.

If a youngster these days is unhappy or in a bad way for whatever reason.

They can seek instant comfort that there is probably easily accessible information to help them via the Internet on their phone.

It's a digital age now.

Some parts are good, some parts are bad.

Would I rather be a 27 year old male in the time when social media was non existent?

Maybe.

Just is what it is.

If it got taken away from us we would miss it dearly.
    I'm going to come in with total agreement with dizee.

Social media is an addiction, I am addicted to forums, facebook and youtube.

I literally do not go a day without touching on one of those three as a minimum.

I wish devices had never been made so mobile. It truly feeds the addiction.

Wake up in the morning flick through Facebook or watch YouTube videos - don't actually communicate with anyone, oh no do not do that... just mindlessly waste time flicking through before a rush to get ready and leave the house.

At a Train Station flick through Facebook - don't actually communicate just mindlessly waste time flicking through.

'Watching' TV, flick through Facebook - don't actually communicate just mindlessly waste time flicking through. Don't even watch any TV during this time.

I'd love to do away with these devices but nowadays Facebook and What'sapp are essential to daily life. I run a mental health page on facebook and use whatsapp to communicate to all of my friends and family.

It's a downward spiral and can only see this getting far worse.
  • Options
    Nostalgia is getting ridiculous. Today's phones are so much superior to the 90s. Why is this even a thing?!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes I think the term 'Smart Phone' is a bit of a misnomer. Something like 'Totally Oblivious to my Surroundings and Couldn't give a Shit Phone' would be better, although I accept not quite as catchy.

Smart phone, not so smart user
  • Options
    90% of posts in this thread:

• Options
    The old Nokia 3310 was loved because of it's interchangeable covers, Snake and more importantly the battery. You could go days without having to charge it! So why have they re-released it with a battery that only lasts 22 hours on average. That's not the same! If you want a Nokia 3310, just buy the original and use it for texts and calls.
  • Options

The old Nokia 3310 was loved because of it's interchangeable covers, Snake and more importantly the battery. You could go days without having to charge it! So why have they re-released it with a battery that only lasts 22 hours on average. That's not the same! If you want a Nokia 3310, just buy the original and use it for texts and calls.

I think it's 22 hours continuous talk time (compared to 4 hours for the Samsung galaxy and 12 seconds for iPhone). Apparently it can last for nearly a month without charging if not being constantly used?

As others have said, great if you just need a phone and not a handheld computer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

22 hours talktime, 1 month standby
  • Options

Nostalgia is getting ridiculous. Today's phones are so much superior to the 90s. Why is this even a thing?!

How are they superior if you want a device to make phone calls?
    Shorter battery time...
    Bigger and more awkward to hold and carry...
    Liable to break if dropped...
    Expensive...

• Options

Shorter battery time...
    Expensive...

Purposefully distracting, create relationship breakdowns, wrong number dick pics...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Fiiish said:

Oggy Red said:

Fiiish said:

Either have better self-control and stop pushing your hang-ups about the digital age on everyone else who can manage the immense responsibility of owning a smartphone, or otherwise be interesting enough so that your friends and family will look at you and not at a screen.

Or people taking "the immense responsibility" of actually looking where they are going when walking along the street, instead of staring at their phone while walking into me.

People often walk into others without even having a phone in their hand. Happens all the time in London.

Just before the iPhone was first released there was a trend for people to try to walk around whilst reading a book, so this problem has existed well before the advent of the smartphone.
    People walking along the street reading a book?

Maybe one person occasionally, but compared to the numbers of people staring downwards into their phone while walking along the street not looking where they're going ....... perhaps you're one of them?

;o)
  • Options

Shorter battery time...
    Expensive...