Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Tue 28 Feb | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 28th February 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Michael Salisbury

Introduction

Two defeats at the Valley in quick succession have left our season with almost little purpose… We sit eleven points from the Play-Offs and with games running out it appears as though our hopes of instant promotion back to the Championship is over… Instead with just eight points separating us and the bottom four, it appears as though we now need to be watching over our shoulders and hoping we can pick up a handful of wins which’ll make us safe from another potential relegation.

Games though continue to come thick and fast and following our match against Bury on Saturday we now make the trip to Shropshire and Shrewsbury, this Tuesday its pancake day and a chance for Karl Robinson to flip our season over once more and recover from what has been a disastrous February.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Paul Hurst
Ground: The New Meadow

Back on a late August evening; the Shrews made a visit to the Valley for what was our second home match of the season… that day showed what a good signing: Ricky Holmes would be, a first half showing from our winger saw two spectacular goals with one coming directly from a corner… Johnnie Jackson would get the other goal in what was a 3-0 victory and walking away from the Valley I felt certain that Shrewsbury would be in danger of relegation this term.

Since that fixture though, the Shrews have slowly gotten themselves into gear… Micky Mellon the Manager at the Valley was gone by October and replacing him was the Grimsby Manager (Paul Hurst) who’d taken his side back into the Football League last term. The turn of the year has seen just three defeats for our opponents and face the Addicks tonight, just four points adrift… Our last outing at the New Meadow saw Charlton taking a 3-0 half-time lead in the League Cup, if that happens again, lets hope we can hold on this time. At least there is no Bally Smart this time round.

Charlton Team News
It wasn’t confirmed in the Press Conference prior to the Bury game, yet the Addicks decided against appealing the Chris Solly red card which means he’ll now be unavailable until the Scunthorpe United game next Tuesday… With players being constantly rotated its difficult to see (or predict) a settled Charlton side, yet at the end of our match against Bury, Stephy Mavididi was taken off on a stretcher so will surely be missing and will no doubt be replaced by Josh Magennis who was rested with a place on the bench on Saturday.

Rudd
Byrne | Konsa | Teixeira | Page
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Botaka | Aribo | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Dijksteel | Novak | Watt | Chicksen

Comments

• Options
    Can i be the person to be the least bothered about this today?

Please?
  • Options
    Wrap up warm Addicks, it's been snowing here across the Welsh border where I am today.
  • Options
    Our lowest away following of the season surely?
  • Options
    tough one. their form seems all over the place, yet ours has been crap. they have already beaten Scunthorpe two weeks back and Wimbledon last week. though on the weekend they lost to the new dons. if Bristol rovers is anything to go by, we might be their bogy team and we end up wining 3-0. hat trick for big josh. I think personally it will be 2-1 to them.
  • Options
    2_0 to them.
  • Options

Our lowest away following of the season surely?

That will be Oldham, 202 diehards ventured up there.
  • Options
    This is now a nothing game.

The players attitude will relect this with Shrewsbury rolling us over comfortably. They have a lot to play for fighting relegation.
  • Options

This is now a nothing game.

The players attitude will relect this with Shrewsbury rolling us over comfortably. They have a lot to play for fighting relegation.

Lose tonight and we are too
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    We won't score, they will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must start Chicksen, Page had a torrid time on Saturday.
  • Options
    Two crap teams - promises to be a feast of football. Going for 1-1.
  • Options
    I'll take a point now to edge us away from the relegation zone.

What a sorry state of affairs to have to be saying that about Charlton in division 3.

Thanks Katrien!
  • Options
    2-1 to the Shrews
  • Options
    Unable to buy a goal, a 0-0 draw would be a good result.
  • Options
    oh no not another game, 2-1 charlton a sigh of relief and out come the deck chairs as season well and truly over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017

Must start Chicksen, Page had a torrid time on Saturday.

I believe he's still injured.

I'd start with Jacko in the side otherwise it'll be rudderless again. Drop crofts for him or like the broken record I am play him as an old fashioned sweeper.

Rudd
    Byrne | Konsa | Teixeira | Page
    Jackson
    Holmes | Forster-Caskey | Aribo | Botaka
    Magennis

Jackson sitting there should give JFC and Holmes a chance to support Magennis, depending how The Shrews set up maybe give Holmes a free role like my name sake used to have.....

I can't see us winning this on a cold Tuesday evening, It'll either be a boring 0-0 or we might scrape a now famous 1-1 but I think more likely is a 2-0 defeat.

They haven't lost since 2nd Jan at home in the league, 0-1 against Fleetwood, since then they've beaten, Bradford, Oldham, Bury and Wimbledon. Four home wins on the bounce. In fact Other than Fleetwood you need to go back to Northampton on 22nd October I think for another home loss which was when they were managerless.
  • Options
    Loads of chit chat from Robinson before the game as usual and loads of shit shat on the pitch during the game as usual.

1.0 to the Shrews.
  • Options
    Robinson has said he's teams never win when there is an F in the month 1-1
  • Options
    I will be optimistic as ever and predict 1-2 win, no reason just always try to be positive... unlikely tho #whenitrainsitpours
  • Options
    Shrewbury 1 - 0 Charlton
  • Options
    Heavy defeat and roland greases the trap door.
  • Options
    4-3 or 3-4

Not sure how you can drop Novak for Magennis on current form. Magennis looks disinterested. Novak at least appears to be trying, and he gets into decent positions.

But what the hell do I know. I thought we'd beat Bury.

What are the odds on us hitting the woodwork again?

Let's hope the team were inspired by Leicester's performance.
  • Options
    great preview as ever .. iron grey skies over Shropshire this a.m. .. heavy rain is forecast and it will be pretty cold .. nothing new there then
    @ForeverAddickted did not name Bauer in his chosen few, is he injured or has he jumped ship ? ...

Difficult to know just what to think .. Robinson has come nowhere near an acceptable level as our manager, hopeless tactics and confused team selections .. like Bury and Oldham the Shrews are putting up a frantic fight against relegation and will likely be more motivated than our increasingly motley crew ..
    however, never write off the hurt pride factor .. our players are surely hurting after recent performances and I am simply hoping that they (whoever 'they' are tonight) can get stuck in and show willing ... errrrrr .. YET another draw

Shrewsbury Town 2 v CAFC 2
  • Options

Robinson has said he's teams never win when there is an F in the month 1-1

I think you've mis-quoted him. I heard it was when there's a "y" in the day.
  • Options
    How does one look disinterested? I see this banded around but I've never seen a player look disinterested... Maybe JFH back in the day.

But to say Magennis looks disinterested isn't fair. He looks more like he's lacking concentration a bit. Get the marker out and write it on his hand like Llera had.

A lot is made of the Robinson being at fault for results of late but the players need to look at themselves more than he does. His tactics lately have been clearly to go for the win.

Something I wonder if the players think about:
    If the team play well and get some wins, will they get some fans back in the stadium?

The cheering of their names, making them feel good surely would help motivate them?

We've been creating tons of chances lately, but the players just aren't putting them away.

We've been getting in the right positions and making the wrong decisions.

Sure the players can be influenced by the manager, but the countless chances being thrown away are on them.

You make your own luck, these players seem to not want to.

Let's hope tonight spells a change in results, however I will not be surprised if the players don't turn up again.