Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accents you like and dislike

I quite like the Geordie accent

I don't like the Brum accent and a Liverpool accent is grating even more than it used to.

Comments

• Options
    West Country is my favourite.
  • Options
    All roight mate, d'yo coom frum Dudlaaaayyy ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Can't stand Scouse or Northern Irish. Dislike strong Welsh and Scottish accents. Milder Welsh and Scottish accents I find quite appealing.
  • Options
    Birmingham Accent - just sound thick, Im sure they're not all dim.
    Geordie Accent - incomprehensible to me.
    West Country - sound like they will interfere with you.
    Scousers Accent - just sound like they would steal yer nan and that they make terrible football managers.
    London Cockney Accent - sound untrustworthy.
    London South East accent - Perfect.
    East Anglian accent- just odd, sometimes they sound West Country and sometimes...er....not.

No one swears as well as a Glaswegian.
    Went out with a South Wales girl many years ago - lovely accent.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Brum....'orrible!
  • Options
    that sing song southern Irish. especially from a girl. everyone seems to think it's really nice. cant stand it. I actually prefer Northern Irish. I usually mimic it myself with the words "where's the f@cking guns?"

Michal Cain's accent always makes me smile.
  • Options
    Hate: Scouse - horrible, grating sound

Love: Norfolk - not just the accent but the dialect. Rules of grammar are somewhat different here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    brum - hate it

on a bird scouse just sounds filth
  • Options
    I have never heard a South African who sounds intelligent
  • Options
    Greenie said:

East Anglian accent- just odd, sometimes they sound West Country and sometimes...er....not.

You'll have to differentiate between Norfolk and Suffolk - there is a difference and not just because the South Folk are very strange people ...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

• Options
    Can't stand the geordie accent it grates on me which is a bit of a problem because I live and work in Newcastle!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

• Options
    Einstein would have been labelled as thick as a whale omelette if he had read his theory of relativity out in a brum accent.
  • Options
    Cathy Barry's accent was/is a right turn off.
  • Options
    I dont mind a soft Scottish accent nor do I mind a soft Irish one.

Hate most other English accents though... ESPECIALLY those with a plum in their gob
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like all accents.
    Less keen on unintelligible in any accent.
    I love the world of voice and speech generally, it is amazing how many things we discern from the voice of a person, last time I thought about it it was dozens of assumptions and deductions we make when hearing somebody speak.
    For me the BBC licence fee is worth the money for the wireless service alone.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I have an unfortunate habit of unintentionally imitating people, but do it quite badly.

I spent two years working in Newcastle and ended up with this horrendous sort of London/Geordie combo which no one could understand. Or as the locals would say: that gadgie's a propa wazzock. In the end, it was good to be gan yem.
    But, still, the Geordie dialect would be my favourite. (I think it counts as a dialect because they have so many different words in their vocabulary rather than just a different pronunciation of regular words).

The reason for the way they speak in the North East becomes clearer when you compare their pronunciation of "going home" - gan yem - to the very similar Norwegian words - går hjem. They are after all pretty much Vikings but without the hats.

I'm thinking the word blatherskite was made especially for Karl Robinson.

Least favourite would be the County Tyrone version of Norn Irish. It's impenetrable.
  • Options
    I struggle with some strong accents as my hearing is shit. Was on holiday a couple of years ago and my daughter got friendly with a Geordie kid. Had a beer with her old man a couple of times and really couldn't understand a word he was saying. Most of the time I could get away with it by laughing or saying yes but got embarrassing whe he stopped talking and looked at me for an answer.

I have the same problem with French. Mine is pretty good but can rarely understand what's being said to me.
  • Options
    American accents are bit annoying but especially those women that speak at 1000 decibels.
  • Options

American accents are bit annoying but especially those women that speak at 1000 decibels.

At least I can hear them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Used to work with one of them. Incompetent at the job, incredibly loud, abrasive and frequently offensive. Bit like their President...
  • Options

Cathy Barry's accent was/is a right turn off.

Fortunately, there are other things to focus on.
  • Options
    mrs accent is fine (ireland, county westmeath) been to some parts of the ireland where there hard to understand but dont really find them annoying.